Knocklink

Search this Thread

Old 06 July 2002, 02:52 PM
Mike555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi Subarulovers,

I have an question, I have order a Knocklink from MRT last, but it is a little bit weird after installation.
The lights is not very bright, you can't even see if the sun is shinin g in the car. Is this normal?? And when I start the car only one light "bright" is this normal I thought all four have to burn.
The wiring I have double check, can someone tell me, i have no idea.

Regards Mike
Old 06 July 2002, 06:02 PM
RT
Scooby Regular

First one on "dim". The rest are extinguished. If you get noise, one or two greens should be lit. You can't miss them, they are bright when lit.

Get someone to tap gently on the sensor's mounting bolt with a small screwdriver. You should be able to see all the LED's light up.
Old 06 July 2002, 07:48 PM
paul/p1
Scooby Regular

no lights good /2 greens fairly normal if booting it /amber watch out/red slow down and invest in something to cure ur knock
Old 06 July 2002, 08:25 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Seems strange paying good money for something you don't want to see working!! the first (dull) green led is just the "on" indicator, and is all you should see with normal driving. Hopefully you will never see more than a couple of greens when booting it!
JohnD
Old 06 July 2002, 08:40 PM
mark_wrx
Scooby Regular

Question

how much are these to buy and are they easy to fit.
mark.
Old 06 July 2002, 09:46 PM
paul/p1
Scooby Regular

bob rawle do knocklink website brdevelopments.scoobymania do modified version that has a breakout box..i am more than happy to see no lights on mine as no lights mean no knock
Old 06 July 2002, 09:48 PM
Mike555
Scooby Regular

Thanx guys,

For the one who ones to buy here is the link: http://www.mrtrally.com.au/shop/

The installation is very easy.

Regards Mike
Old 06 July 2002, 09:49 PM
paul/p1
Scooby Regular

fitting as i remember is one live/one earth/plus sensor mounted on the engine.usually underneath icooler seems best choice
Old 07 July 2002, 03:52 PM
RT
Scooby Regular

Knocklink = $200-odd dollars (100 quid?)

Engine rebuild due det-induced failure = 2000-odd quid at least?

I think I'd invest in some KL "insurance".
Old 08 July 2002, 09:39 AM
TBMeech
Scooby Regular

Location: Surrey Somewhere, From 341 bhp '99 STI V to '98 Merc CLK & '00 Peugeot 306 XSI to '01 E46 M3 :)
I've got my Lambda Link and KnockLink on top of my dashboard, even in bright sunlight (when we get some!) I have no issues with not seeing the lights on the unit....
Old 08 July 2002, 10:50 AM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
My Knocklink only ever lights the bottom light.
Dull when normal and bright when boosting uphill. Ive never seen any of the other lights.

My car does have the link ecu, which is why I often see a little disco on my Lambda link. Mostly green I have to add.
Old 08 July 2002, 11:00 PM
Mike555
Scooby Regular

For the one who wants to know how to fit, follow the link:
Http://forums.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=72454&referrerid=6366

Good luck!!

Regards Mike
Old 09 July 2002, 10:44 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Late the other night I was doing about 120Mph (on a private runway you understand) and noticed my knocklink was going mental! the 2 green bottom LED's were flashing alot.

Is this normal when doing this speed? I have got a MY99 Type R so the gearing is that bit different, revving more.
Old 10 July 2002, 10:32 PM
Turbo_Six
Scooby Regular

does one of these kits contain a knock sensor as well as the wiring, or does it rely on an existing sensor? I think I'd like to retrofit a knock detection system to my Peugeot, as it would make setting up the ignition a lot easier.
Old 11 July 2002, 12:19 AM
TEG Sport
Scooby Newbie

We map loads of sccobys for people, and of course as part of this we use knock detectors. We had a car to do once that had been using a Link ECU with a KnockLink fitted. The owner wanted to use anti-lag and his Link ECU could not do that, so we converted it onto a GEMS system.

Before we did this, we took the car up the road with the Link ECU still in place to see what it was like. The car felt quite lively, and the KnockLink was not showing any det. But we could hear the det under heavy load at around 3600rpm. We swapped the ECUs, mapped the car - no det - happy owner.

The Moral of all this ?? I doubt there will ever be a better knock detector than the human ear when it knows what to listen for. Be carefull with the KnockLink - it can lead you into a false sense of security.
Old 11 July 2002, 03:03 AM
RT
Scooby Regular

I agree!

I have heard audible det "pik piak pik piak..." with the KL only showing 2 flashing greens, WOT.

Advise is: Listen carefully everytime you drive hard. Blast the ICE only when you're crusing. Better yet, only use the radio for traffic info.
Old 11 July 2002, 06:08 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

I'd be a bit suspect of relying on only my ears to detect knock - radio or no radio, exhaust/induction noise is also not insignificant.

Certainly, check your knocklink is functioning on a regular basis though - a light tap with a key should be enough to give a 'big red'

Richard
Old 11 July 2002, 03:45 PM
RT
Scooby Regular

Yeah, it works all right. Lightly tapping the bolt that holds the knock sensor yields 5 bright LEDs.
Old 11 July 2002, 08:18 PM
TEG Sport
Scooby Newbie

Sorry - Let me just clarify what I was trying to say, I've read it again and I can see it might be a bit misleading.

When I said 'the human ear' I wasn't really suggesting that you just drive the car listening for it. We use a set of 'det cans'. These allow us to listen to what's going on in the engine.

The point I was trying to make is that just because the KnockLink isn't jumping up and down, doesn't meen you've not got any knock.

Knock is a very strange thing. The exact sound changes on different engines, with different fuels etc. I sometimes find myself putting loads of advance in to cause det, just so I know what it sounds like on the engine I'm mapping. (Only for a brief moment of course. So a unit 'tuned' to a single frequency trying to listen for knock, might be showing something other than knock on one engine, yet not pick up real knock on another.

If we map a car and leave the knock sensor in use (which is very rare in rallying, as stones under the car sound like knock!!) then we 'tune' the ECU to listen for the specific type of knock that the engine in question creates.

Hope this clears things up a bit!
Old 21 September 2002, 05:53 PM
Steve_F
Scooby Regular

Question

Hello gents,

picked up a Knocklink this afternoon & desperately need help with a couple of things!!

Firstly car is P1/STi V5

I'd like to position it in the corner by the A pillar, I lifted the strip by the screen & found a couple of holes to run cable thru', they just seem to go thru' behind the dash.

Question 1: How do I get the cable thru' the bulkhead to the engine compartment? I cant see any simple grommet or holes under the dash, how have you all done it please.

Question 2: Is there a spare position for the new sensor? I've seen the pics on the US website, can't make much sense of it when I look at my car!

I also believe I need to remove the intercooler. Anything I need to watch out for? I have not done this before!

Any and all advise would be much appreciated as I'd like to get this done this weekend!

Many thanks

Steve
Old 21 September 2002, 06:30 PM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

Steve i have run mine through the rubber gromet just above the ecu in the car, i know it a bit of a way from the drivers side bit...
If not there is a rubber gromet on the drivers side that the wiring harness goes through iirc.
Rob
Old 21 September 2002, 06:58 PM
Steve_F
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi Rob, many thanks for that!

I just found a grommet on the passenger side with a hose running thru it so I've used that.

Sooo, I now have the unit by the pillar, wires behind dash ready to be connected & lead thru into engine compartment.

Where do I connect the red & black to??

Then the bit I'm dreading! Intercooler off.

Seems to be a lot of stuff connected to it, hose from turbo to back of I/C, brackets, dump valve..........

Do I have to remove all of this stuff or just a couple of things to move it out of the way???

Any more advice please???? It's starting to get dark and I can hear Guinness being poured at my local

Cheers

Steve
Old 22 September 2002, 03:15 AM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

Connect the red to the ciggarette lighter or stereo live, and earth it to a good chassis point..
Rob
on the intercooler off situ, no choice mate... mounting bolts off i/c to throttle body hose off, i/c to turbo pipe off...
Old 22 September 2002, 08:04 AM
Vinesh
Scooby Regular

Which strero live?

12v ing swithed
or
Permenant 12v live
Old 22 September 2002, 09:38 AM
Steve_F
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks Rob, I'm back on the case right now!

Thought, I will need a bolt for the sensor, do you know the thread type & length needed?

Vinesh, you having fun too?

Steve
Old 22 September 2002, 04:51 PM
Steve_F
Scooby Regular

Cool

Tweenierob, if your out there, thanks for your help mate.

Job done, knocklink working, now onto some proper mods!!

...where shall I start...hhmmmm

Steve
Old 23 September 2002, 10:24 AM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

Hi,

Does the knocklink come with a sensor or do you use the existing knock sensor on the car and just wire it in?

or can you do either?

cheers

Rich
Old 23 September 2002, 12:16 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Rich,

I beleive that they come with a seperate Bosch sensor and it's best to use this. I'll know better when my arrives, had it on order for what seems like months now .

Tony.
Old 23 September 2002, 12:31 PM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

Just found out actually,

You CAN use it with either but you MUST specify whether you want it with or without the Bosch sensor when ordering from MRT.

KNKT is MRT's part no for just the display
MUSSE008 is the part no WITH the sensor and is called "Knocklink kit"

If you just as for a "Knocklink" they will just send the display

The sensor is roughly as expensive as the display too!

Cheers
Rich
Old 23 September 2002, 07:19 PM
Steve_F
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi Rich,

Got my KnockLink from JI's Saturday. Did'nt spec anything and it came with Bosch Sensor.

Got it all fitted Sunday with help from the guy's above!!

Beware, I am told that wiring the display to the existing sensor can cause the ECU to react to erroneous signals. Advice is to always use the secondary (& much more sensitive) Sensor.

Be good,

Steve.

Edited to add: BTW Rich, having seen your car do you really have any room for the extra sensor anyway?????

s.

[Edited by Steve_F - 9/23/2002 7:26:09 PM]