Notices

Waterspray installation pics

Search this Thread

Old 22 June 2002, 08:15 PM
DodgeT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

This is based on my 94 uk turbo, I take no responsibility for you spraying yourself or any damage to your car, there may be better ways of doing all of this, but this is how i did mine & it works great!

parts reqd.
STI nozzle x 2 - £7.89 each + vat pt no. 86636FA120 from subaru
approx 2m flexible tubing to suit nozzles
1 "T" piece to suit tubing
1 none return valve
2 jubilee clips

I disconnected the feed from the washer bottle to the headlamp washers & used this as the feed for the spray, (my car rarely gets dirty, let alone the headlamps!)

You need to remove the scoop & undertray, then i placed the undertray on top of the intercooler, so that i could see exactly where the nozzles needed to be placed.
Measure the distance where the tray sits over the IC then divide this by 3. Then measure in from the 2 sides of the IC & mark where the nozzles are to go (if this is done right, the nozzles should sit equally spaced across the front of the IC. Then mark 30mm back from the front (nearest the IC) & you have your hole positions.

Drill the hole, then with a needle file, produce the square sections to locate the nozzles.
Push the nozzles into place, ensuring the spring part expands over the flats securing the nozzle.
Re-Fit the scoop & undertray.

Run the tubing from the washer bottle as shown in the pics, i joined the 2 tubes with a bigger piece secured by 2 jubilee clips but theres probably a neater way of doing this.
I fitted the NRV in the gap by the wiper motor, keeping it nicely out of the way. (its not necessary to fit a NRV, but if you dont fit a NRV the water will not spray instantly as it will run back to the tank after every squirt, so i recommend one)
Run the tube up the bonnet alongside the existing hose for the bonnet jets & fit the "T" piece & connect to the nozzles.

Use the existing headlamp washer button on the dashboard to operate the IC nozzles.

Because i use the std windscreen washer bottle, i run an extremely weak mixture of screenwash, roughly 50mls per full tank.

view of nozzles

routing of tubing

view of nozzles from under bonnet

happy modifying!!
Old 25 June 2002, 06:23 PM
mike_s14
Scooby Regular

Wink

Nice nozzles but whats that crap hanging off the underside of your bonnet?
Old 25 June 2002, 06:42 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

Hi,

Im thinking of adding these nozzles to my set up...!! do they give off a fine spray..!!

Dan
Old 25 June 2002, 08:20 PM
Attu
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the pics, It was nice to see it on Sunday in action Im just amazed no one else has done this as its so easy

Andy
Old 25 June 2002, 10:28 PM
Sloaner
Scooby Regular

Nice work - what benefits do you experience? Do you notice much gain?
Old 25 June 2002, 11:33 PM
DodgeT
Scooby Regular

Talking

they give off a very wide (pretty fine) spray, the 2 nozzles cover the whole of the IC.
I dont think you gain anything, you just dont lose as much power by getting the heat soak, therefore maintaining full power all the time. (if that makes sense)
Definately worth doing, no setting off from traffic lights with less power cause of heat soak, just spray & go!!!!!!

Attu, good to meet you & hope it is of use to you, any q's just drop us a line.
Old 26 June 2002, 12:54 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

I have been planning to do this for ages just never got around to it... thanks for your info..

I intend going to a breakers and getting a washer bottle off a dead car.. just need to find somewhere to mount it then.
Although the headlight washer circuit is a good route I use up my screenwash quick enough as it is. Mind you I suppose that is in winter when you won't need the waterspray... food for thought...
I might have to buy a pair of nossles when I am in the dealers on Thursday....

JGM

Trending Topics

Old 26 June 2002, 05:23 PM
DodgeT
Scooby Regular

JGM, thats it, summer time use the waterspray, windows stay pretty clean, winter - windows get mucky & you dont really need waterspray.

The std tank holds a lot of water anyway, i dont have any problems using both, just top her up every few days.