Notices

Correct camber after Lift

Search this Thread

Old 20 January 2024, 03:59 PM
mekineer
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Correct camber after Lift

The 2008-2011 Subaru Impreza (I assume all models but I have the wagon) does not have a way to adjust camber on the rear suspension. Is there a DIY way of adjusting or adding camber adjustment? If adding a camber bolt, to which control arm?
Old 21 January 2024, 07:03 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

It has multi link suspension, so has no need for camber adjustment. You can google how it works, but my understanding is that rear camber increases as cornering force increases. I'm sure someone else will be along to explain the detail
Old 21 January 2024, 07:25 AM
mekineer
Scooby Newbie

Never fails that status quo answer is that the question is wrong.
Old 21 January 2024, 09:28 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

Unlike previous models, the 2008 on models do not use rear struts so using camber bolts is not a simple option as previous.
How have you "lifted" this wagon??
The Crosstrek /XV is basically a lifted wagon and has different trailing arms and upper arms to allow for the increased travel.
Driveshafts appear to be the same.

It may be possible to make/ use camber bolts for the upper double wishbone arms to subframe mount but whether there is enough movement/adjustment ??

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2008 on Rear Suspension.pdf (315.2 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Don Clark; 21 January 2024 at 09:39 AM.
Old 21 January 2024, 04:16 PM
mekineer
Scooby Newbie

​​​​​Yes, the wagon is lifted with 1.5" spacers at the top of the spring/shock assembly (strut?). Another detail is that the trailing arms were lengthened and camber bolts were added at the ends. The wheels sit square in the wheel wells. I ended up with around -3 camber and rather than only bending the trailing arms, I could add a camber bolts as you suggest or maybe on the outboard end of the lower control arms?

Would have been nice to look into replacing the suspension parts with those from a Crosstrek/XV, but that's not as easy to find as in USA where you just stroll over to Pick-n-pull.

The 17" wheels came with the car. I thought of replacing with 15" wheels but just changed the tires from 45 series to 55 series. That isn't relevant but I preemptively answered before the status quo says something.

Last edited by mekineer; 21 January 2024 at 05:08 PM.
Old 21 January 2024, 05:49 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by mekineer
Never fails that status quo answer is that the question is wrong.
I never said that at all. Hopefully Don has answered your question, as I suggested someone would.
Old 21 January 2024, 07:57 PM
lockheed
Scooby Regular

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by mekineer
​​​​​Yes, the wagon is lifted with 1.5" spacers at the top of the spring/shock assembly (strut?). Another detail is that the trailing arms were lengthened and camber bolts were added at the ends. The wheels sit square in the wheel wells. I ended up with around -3 camber and rather than only bending the trailing arms, I could add a camber bolts as you suggest or maybe on the outboard end of the lower control arms?

Would have been nice to look into replacing the suspension parts with those from a Crosstrek/XV, but that's not as easy to find as in USA where you just stroll over to Pick-n-pull.

The 17" wheels came with the car. I thought of replacing with 15" wheels but just changed the tires from 45 series to 55 series. That isn't relevant but I preemptively answered before the status quo says something.
You have lengthend the trailing arms to account for the cars new height? I suppose calculations for this where done and a jig was made to make square,
Under compression.

Last edited by lockheed; 21 January 2024 at 08:38 PM.