Notices

2005 Impreza 2.0 R Sport (non turbo)

Search this Thread

Old 06 October 2021, 12:06 PM
Scudder
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Impreza 2.0 R Sport (non turbo)

Hello all

Newbie here. Just recently bought an R Estate as a little run around and bought it cheap. Low miles 60k and seems to be well looked after with no body work issues etc. I gave it a good run and all was good from what I could see.

EML has since come on and its the old bank 1 sensor 2 oxygen sensor that appears appears be causing it. Car is running cool also (assume linked) and thr needle only reaches around 1/3 up to normal running temp. As I only spent a small amount on the car I am loathed to spend a fortune at the dealer so thought I'd test the existing sensor myself myself.

The wiring harness to the sensor is getting decent power (I think) issuing around 25.7 volts

I tried a resistance test on the sensor itself and it is producing only 1.8 ohms

Looks to me like it's the sensor.

The denso OEM SENSOR is £280 which seems high to me. There are Bosch ones online for around 60 however there seems to be some construction required in that the plugs are not set up and assembly is needed to fit.

I wondered if anyone has had any experience in any other brands that are not OEM and can offer any feedback. I am a firm believer in buy cheap buy twice. But 300 for a sensor when the car cost me 1400 is a little mad.

While carrying out these checks I have had the chance to get a closer look around the nooks and crannies and have a few follow up questions for the experts on here .

Should there be a tray under the engine where the subframe lives? Mine doesn't have one and seems like on a wet day watter would have free rain (see what I did there) to splash up into the engine bay and electrics.

While down there I noted that the surface rust build up is quite significant on the structural parts albeit its never been mentioned on any of the recent MOTS which I had with my previous Audi that looked less rusty. I appreciate looks mean nothing and as long as the structure is sound then all is good. But I can't help feel like some sort of tray should live there to protect the car from underneath? Thoughts.

I noticed that the radiator too was pitted and had the odd stone etc impeded in jt, looks like its not got long to live. Again as I'm not mechanically minded and this could just be how they look on these cars after a while.

I look forward to chatting with you all and to many miles as a happy scoob owner. Will be something faster next time. This purchase was on a needs must commuter to work cheap runabout basis.

I've attached a pic. Tidy enough little car and fun to rev the life out of and handles lovely but it's lacking that grunt I feel the chassis was born to have.

Any comments and help very much appreciated.

Thanks troops.

Scudder