Notices

What to do first? Intake temps and longevity.

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2021, 09:19 AM
Scoobynewbie2000
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do first? Intake temps and longevity.

Hi all,

long story short picked up a 1999 turbo 2000, intercooler has seen better days bent and broken fins, previous owner installed a g force 3 boost controller and I like the power it is making. My concern is longevity as the intake temps are most likely high due to the boost controller and messed up intercooler, my thoughts are a new aftermarket top mount intercooler or water meth. I’m looking to get it tuned properly in the future but for now I want to make sure the engine stays healthy.

my thought process is if I’m gunna fork out for a decent top mount I may as well get a good one for future tuning, or use water meth to control intake temps as well as increase octane. What are everyone’s thoughts?
Old 28 July 2021, 10:35 AM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

Just get a newage wrx intercooler and fit it

https://www.scoobynet.com/technical-...o-classic.html
Old 28 July 2021, 10:46 AM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

What are your power goals firstly. A newage top mount will see you to 400bhp so a cheaper alternative. Or you could go front fount.

However if you are on the stock engine running a boost controller like that won't do you any good. Get it tuned properly. The standard ecu is mappable and there are a few a options.
Old 28 July 2021, 10:47 AM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Gambits post didn't come up until I sent mine. The WRX intercooler should be a far cheaper option.
Old 28 July 2021, 11:37 AM
Scoobynewbie2000
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don’t have power goals at the end of the day I just wanna have semi reliable fun.

Seems to be the newage top mount is the way to go, tuning wise what is the best bang for my buck for further supporting modifications. Thoughts behind this is that if I’m gunna have to pay to get it tuned I may as well have some decent tuning headroom instead of just going to ensure the motor stays healthy.

currently the car has:
A cat back exhaust ( don’t remember what exhaust but it has one)

intake of some kind

g force 3 boost controller

turbo timer

Stage 2 clutch and lightweight flywheel

i can ask the previous owner if he actually got it tuned
Old 28 July 2021, 11:58 AM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Just to be clear, after you get it mapped you can't fit a bigger turbo and leave it. You would need to get a map tweak done soon after.

It seems more and more mappers are refusing to map classics using ECUtek. They are still very popular on newage cars, way more features etc. Have a look at ECUlabs they offer a lot of features for classics, it isn't a stand alone but at the same time not a stock ecu. So what happens is come mapping time you effectively hand over your ecu and are given a modified stock ecu that is then mapped. You old ecu gets sent off and is modded, this will then be used for the next person who will hand in their old ecu.
Old 28 July 2021, 03:49 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Did think about meth kit on mine.
Old 28 July 2021, 04:49 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

UK MY99 cars run very rich as standard hence you can stick a boost controller up and knock it up to about 1.1-1.2bar on std td04 turbo without fear of running lean etc. just get it checked on a RR or likes. there is plenty of info on here if you search for it. granted it'll never be "as good" as a specifc ecu map but given how basic the ecu's are on them you'll still get up around 250-260bhp on it if healthy - depends how much you want to spend but buy another ecu (same code) if your gonna map it as it can brick classic ecu's easily so at least you have a fall back if it does. your ecu is plug & play no immobiliser or keys to worry about when switching

Id probably take the intake off it as the MAF in the 99/00 cars is the biggest weak spot and running standard airbox is the safest way of protecting the maf. i use to carry a spare in the glovebox for mine but only ever had one MAF failure in 7yrs of ownershop of one

setting the preload also on the actuator helps a fair bit also. o aye and stick a fuel pump in it

on mine id the newage wrx intercooler, PPP ECU, and a sport cat downpipe and it made 260bhp

plenty of good info on here about them if you go advanced search and use MY99 in your search terms - the forum was very active with very knowledgeable people back then