Notices

Oil Pressure Gauges & Fitting?

Search this Thread

Old 29 June 2021, 03:36 PM
Sub-Subaru
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure Gauges & Fitting?

So I am looking to install an oil pressure gauge and I am trying to understand my options. I have read the thread in the ‘how to’ section but thread is about 12 years old so the photos are no longer available.

I am only finding remote adapters everywhere. The YouTube videos are mostly American and show just an adapter t piece where the existing sensor is underneath the alternator.

Are there different ones and if so which is better and why?

I would really like a 52mm gauge that has a warning light but the Defi N2 gauges don’t seem to have warning lights. Any suggestions gauge wise?

Last edited by Sub-Subaru; 29 June 2021 at 03:37 PM.
Old 29 June 2021, 09:34 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

Don't bother with the plate that on the filter, they seem to leak.

Defis are recommended, there are quite a few and you can get a defi link too. Other option is Prosport.
Old 29 June 2021, 11:01 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

SPA Technique
https://spatechnique.co.uk/collections/digital-gauges

Digital stepper gauges with warning lights etc.
Old 13 July 2021, 06:58 PM
Sub-Subaru
Scooby Regular

Thanks. I have gone with ProSport gauges for boost and oil pressure.

Can you tell me the best place to take the cables through the fire wall? I know on the passenger side there is a rubber sleeve with part of the loom running into the passenger foot well. There also seems to be a part of the loom with another sleeve running through right behind the dash clocks on the drivers side. Do you know what this wiring is?
Old 13 July 2021, 07:51 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Depends where you're putting the gauges. Do it where its easiest mate.
Old 13 July 2021, 08:05 PM
Sub-Subaru
Scooby Regular

I have bought a new instrument panel surround with two gauge pod holders, so the gauges are going to be right by the instrument panel.

Is the loom part going through on the driver’s side for the instrument panel do you know?

Last edited by Sub-Subaru; 13 July 2021 at 08:07 PM.
Old 14 July 2021, 09:30 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

I routed my wires through a bung hole just above the clutch pedal. I was worried the exhaust heat would effect them but it hasn't.
I also used an adaptor and scrawed the sensor directly into the bung hole above cylinder 3. No need to faf around with extensions
Old 14 July 2021, 12:24 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sub-Subaru
I have bought a new instrument panel surround with two gauge pod holders, so the gauges are going to be right by the instrument panel.

Is the loom part going through on the driver’s side for the instrument panel do you know?

Not quite mate, if I have understood you correctly. All the internal (main part) is behind the dash so instrument cluster would be there. Like @RobsyUK said take it through there but make sure you cable tie it away from any hot parts.
Old 15 July 2021, 11:40 AM
keitharbel
Scooby Newbie

Default Oil Pressure gauges

I strongly advise against buying and fitting any of the Chinese manufactured electronic oil pressure gauges. From our experience, most do no work, are erratic or read incorrectly over their range. Oil pressure being such an important indicator of engine functionality, it is not worth taking the risk. Stick with the old fashioned Bourbon tube mechanical gauges and use braided nylon oil line.

This reading was given by a Chinese gauge immediately after fitting, without the engine running. After the engine was started, the reading stayed the same. The actual oil pressure was 43 PSI, measured with a high quality mechanical gauge.
Old 20 July 2021, 01:45 PM
Sub-Subaru
Scooby Regular

So I am just trying to clarify which location you guys are talking about. The first photo is on the driver side and there is a bung hole just next to the brake master cylinder.

The second photo is of the passenger side. The bung hole has a bit of red RTV sealant on it and it is where I have routed a cable before to get to the boot area at the back of the car.

So I am just wondering which of these (or is there another bung hole) is the one that most people use when fitting gauges?

Old 21 July 2021, 11:55 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Sub-Subaru
So I am just trying to clarify which location you guys are talking about. The first photo is on the driver side and there is a bung hole just next to the brake master cylinder.

The second photo is of the passenger side. The bung hole has a bit of red RTV sealant on it and it is where I have routed a cable before to get to the boot area at the back of the car.

So I am just wondering which of these (or is there another bung hole) is the one that most people use when fitting gauges?

I don't have the bung hobunbehind the intercooler like you but I did ob the passanger side. I spent hours trying to get through the firewall behind the glove box and failed.

The one I am referring to is behind the clutch pedal. Pull back back carpet a little if needed but if you had your foot on the clutch it would be whee your toes are pointing. Behind the foam, it has a cut out for it.
The following users liked this post:
Old 26 July 2021, 07:00 PM
Sub-Subaru
Scooby Regular

Thanks, I found that I have a top and bottom bung hole by the clutch pedal. I have gone for the top one that exits above the clutch pedal.
Old 28 July 2021, 12:36 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

That's where I pulled the main power cable for my stereo. The passenger side would probably have been neater but would have required more disassemble.
Old 28 July 2021, 05:08 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Good thread, i'm just starting the same project, bought OEM dash pod for classic, metal facia to fit gauges, and 3 white non branded gauges. Just need to wire them in now.