First Time Scoob owner

Search this Thread

Old 23 July 2021, 08:58 PM
S888OBY
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb First Time Scoob owner

Evening all,

After years of waiting im finally able to sink some money into a scoob, Im going to look at what appears to be a very clean 96 WRX, with 92k original miles on the clock , JDM import. Im just wondering if anyone can point out some key areas to look at, im no newbie to cars in general so i know the usual stuff, Suspension turrets, sills, arches door gaps, and mechanically i know what im looking at, i just wondered if theres any specific subie traits i need to be aware of or specific areas of concern. I know its a 25 year old car so im not expecting a minter, but i would hate to walk away form car becasue of something im unsure of and likewise dont want to drive a dog away. i can provide the Reg also if thats allowed and maybe theres a previous owner on here.

Thanks in advance
Old 24 July 2021, 01:36 AM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Received 670 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by S888OBY
Evening all,

After years of waiting im finally able to sink some money into a scoob, Im going to look at what appears to be a very clean 96 WRX, with 92k original miles on the clock , JDM import. Im just wondering if anyone can point out some key areas to look at, im no newbie to cars in general so i know the usual stuff, Suspension turrets, sills, arches door gaps, and mechanically i know what im looking at, i just wondered if theres any specific subie traits i need to be aware of or specific areas of concern. I know its a 25 year old car so im not expecting a minter, but i would hate to walk away form car becasue of something im unsure of and likewise dont want to drive a dog away. i can provide the Reg also if thats allowed and maybe theres a previous owner on here.

Thanks in advance
welcome mate 👍 if you post the advert up or all the details you have about the car then you will get some good advice. Take care
Old 24 July 2021, 08:42 AM
S888OBY
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by johno01
welcome mate 👍 if you post the advert up or all the details you have about the car then you will get some good advice. Take care
Thanks Johno

Always been a fan of scoobs especiall the Classic shapes, my dad had a 2000 WRX Turbo way back when i was 15 and i idolised it and swore i would have one, i was actually looking at hawkeyes but this classic caught my eye , see images below, The owner hasnt really added that much info on the car and in messages only said it has a folder full of history and receipts including all the import paperwork which was kind of a red flag, nonetheless im going to go view it. see below for the market post and a pic of it. The turrets and external arches look clean and it appears the cars been fully resprayed as its white with blue flake which deffo isnt a OEM colour.
https://imgur.com/gallery/TbijfZU
see below
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/TbijfZU" ><a href="//imgur.com/a/TbijfZU">scoob</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/7LHFEuA" ><a href="//imgur.com/a/7LHFEuA">scoob</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 24 July 2021, 08:47 AM
S888OBY
Scooby Newbie

Default Scooby

Thanks johno please see below, owner didn't provide much over messages other than saying its clean and has a folder full of history, receipts and import paperwork, get the impression the guys not really into the scooby scene but i could be wrong ,

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/7LHFEuA" ><a href="//imgur.com/a/7LHFEuA">scoob</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/TbijfZU" ><a href="//imgur.com/a/TbijfZU">scoob</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 24 July 2021, 12:19 PM
S888OBY
Scooby Newbie

waiting for my post ot be approved but the REG is N50OBS if anyone knows anything about this car ?
Old 24 July 2021, 08:44 PM
nicam49
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

I've looked up N50 OBS on the dvla mot history site, and altho' it passed this year, there is an advisory on an oil leak. Also, previous years had some fails, so you'd need to look them up. It's a pretty old car for a Scooby and they are sadly prone to stealth corrosion at the rear end, often by the time it's discovered it's beyond economical repair. If you don't know where to check for this corrosion, I'll try to add some links of posts from this forum to open your eyes...
https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1063009-wrx-pre-buy-tips-and-guidance.html#post12089614

(sorry, don't know how to make it a link, so just copy it onto your Web browser)
​​​​​​
https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/953502-rear-strut-towers-rusted-through.html

Also consider that the cambelt and idlers may need changing... any proof it's been done like receipts for the parts?
Clutch could be nearing end of life at that mileage too, tho' mine at 105k is still OK, however, in a recent Wheeler Dealer they did a WRX and had to change the clutch at 75k 'cos the pedal was near the top of it's travel (the clutch bite point I mean)

Last edited by nicam49; 25 July 2021 at 03:41 PM.