Sponsored by:

Is your Scoob garaged or not?

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2004, 01:06 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is your Scoob garaged or not?

Getting a bit fedup with my 205 now especially as the engines just blown. I'm in the process of getting a new engine to put in it, but it will be hard work, and not sure if I can be arsed.

So, i'm back to fancying a Scoob again but my worry is I dont have a garage, so it would be parked on the street. My MR2 was fine for 2 years bar the odd ding from kids on bikes etc, but its the car jacking thing that worries me - I dont want the hassle of some chav kicking the front door in of an evening.

So how many folk park their Scoob on the street??
Old 28 July 2004, 01:10 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

you should do a poll.
mines garaged, at all times
chris.
Old 28 July 2004, 01:12 PM
tuscan57
Scooby Regular

parked mine on the drive for three years but the new one will be garaged after the tuscan is sold!
Old 28 July 2004, 01:13 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

garaged over night, and whenver I am parked at home. Too many dishonest people around that would think nothing of scratching your car accidently and buggering off without paying of leaving details.
Old 28 July 2004, 01:15 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Mines kept on the drive, and the baseball bat by my bed imo
Old 28 July 2004, 01:19 PM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

Location: Lancaster/Manchester or stuck in a traffic jam somewhere in between

Simon... just get one bought... you know it makes sense!!

Mine usually sits on the drive and my birds MR2 sits on the street, havent had any probs so far. At the end of the day, if they want to take it, they'll find a way. Just do everything you can to make it as hard as possible for them. There is an argument that says if its in a garage, the thieving barstewards will just have plenty of time out of sight to get into yer car. Im quite lucky to have a next door neighbour that doesnt miss a thing tho!!

Jeff

Edited to say - I do sleep with my keys tho. I never leave them downstairs.
Oh... and a 9 iron under the bed

Last edited by Jay_bee; 28 July 2004 at 01:25 PM.
Old 28 July 2004, 01:29 PM
Cold Turkey
Scooby Regular

drive: ditto baseball bat and sleep with keys. also blackjax and security lights and cctv hooked upto digital video recorder.
Old 28 July 2004, 01:38 PM
minor_threat
Scooby Regular

Mine's parked on the street and has been since I bought it 2 months ago, I can't yet park it around the back of the house because my neighbours are having an extension built and we can't yet get access.

I was really paranoid about it (still am a bit), it's got a tracker fitted and is always parked with a disklock on and left in gear so it can't be pushed down the road. I figure the disklock might deter some but I have to console myself with the thought that if somebody wants to steal it that badly they'll find a way of doing it.

I always sleep with the window open and always take both sets of car and house keys up to the bedroom at night. Luckily I also have a very vigilant and friendly neighbour who likes to keep an eye on things as well.

Incidentally, there was no difference in insurance quotes for leaving the car parked on a street, a driveway or even locked up behind the house!
Old 28 July 2004, 01:54 PM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

This would be a good one for Familiy Fortunes...

Can see it now....

"We asked 100 Subaru Impreza owners to name what they prefered to take to bed...

Our Survey says that the most popular answer is:

Their car keys

Second most popular answer is:

A baseball bat

Third most popular answer is:

Their birds!!!

LOL

Last edited by Jay_bee; 28 July 2004 at 02:04 PM.
Old 28 July 2004, 02:13 PM
willy
Scooby Regular

Garaged.... used to be on the street a few months ago.
Had no problem before.

Old 28 July 2004, 02:17 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

I am in the same situation and i wont even think about getting a Scooby unless i have a garage. i live with two dogs one of whom is not welcoming to visitors invited or not but the thought of it getting keyed or people just smashing a window and trying their luck puts me off plus any body driving past knows you have it and can come back when you are out at work.

I am waiting to rent a garage on block from my council then will think about it again. I wish i could afford a house with a garage but where i live in Essex that is £200K and then i could afford the Scooby. It is frustrating that the risk of crime stops me enjoying some thing but then again probably not having one helps me keep my licence.
Old 28 July 2004, 02:33 PM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Adrian F
It is frustrating that the risk of crime stops me enjoying some thing but then again probably not having one helps me keep my licence.
I wouldnt let any thieving scum stop me from buying/doing something I wanted.

Thats what insurance is for at the end of the day.

Dont let the ******* win!!!
Old 28 July 2004, 02:49 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Adrian F
I am in the same situation and i wont even think about getting a Scooby unless i have a garage. i live with two dogs one of whom is not welcoming to visitors invited or not but the thought of it getting keyed or people just smashing a window and trying their luck puts me off plus any body driving past knows you have it and can come back when you are out at work.

I am waiting to rent a garage on block from my council then will think about it again. I wish i could afford a house with a garage but where i live in Essex that is £200K and then i could afford the Scooby. It is frustrating that the risk of crime stops me enjoying some thing but then again probably not having one helps me keep my licence.
Same thing for me, house with garage round here is £250k minimum and thats Oop North

I live in a nice area but fellow Scoobynetter Dales had his jacked just up the road from here about 2 miles away. I also have a neighbour that runs a MY98 reddish blue wagon - the other worry is that his has been dented 4 times now, and big dents as well.

May just wait - we're moving in 6 months or so, hopefully with double garage for Pug and Scoob - finding the house is the problem.
Old 28 July 2004, 02:50 PM
scooby808
Scooby Regular

dug up my front lawn and put gravel down, soon to fit CCTV front and back, have base ball bat under bed. But do leave keys downstairs just so if they do get in they dont come looking upstairs.

Not that I'm paranoid or any thing............
Old 28 July 2004, 02:53 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Just get the Blackjax device fitted. You can let them take the car and run up the road after them with a baseball bat knowing it will stop soon.

Also gives piece of mind leaving outside of a garage.

Damian.
Old 28 July 2004, 02:59 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Yes easy to say but where i use to live i had my own van for working and some body took exception to it and keyed it repeatedly for about 4 months down one side. although only a van for work it really annoyed me so having a nice car and i now live in a worse area would be red rag to a bull situation and eventually the insurance company gets their money back from you anyway. but i must remember that car crime is dropping so if Tony gets re-elected i will be able to keep my nice car there safely then. NOT
Cold Turkey
Scooby Regular

I sort of agree with you Adrian but I don't see why I should let the w@nkers stop me having the car of my dreams
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lucky enough to be able to garage mine.

My brother has had his from new (MY98/99 ??) and he has always parked it on a drive or the street, never a garage and so far has never had any problems. In fact some of the places he has left it really surprise me that it hasn't gone walkies , but he uses it every day (his only car) and as I said before, he hasn't had any problems. Might just be lucky, who knows?
Old 28 July 2004, 03:09 PM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

Default tvr a gogo

Originally Posted by tuscan57
parked mine on the drive for three years but the new one will be garaged after the tuscan is sold!
wot - no tvr?

so what replaces the Tuscan and why?
Old 28 July 2004, 03:12 PM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SPEN555
Just get the Blackjax device fitted. You can let them take the car and run up the road after them with a baseball bat knowing it will stop soon.

Also gives piece of mind leaving outside of a garage.

Damian.
could you give me a link to blackjax and similar - also is the Scoob warranty happy about these?
Old 28 July 2004, 03:16 PM
Marky-San
Scooby Regular

Always garaged. Out of sight......
Old 28 July 2004, 03:20 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I just feel where i live that having a newish scooby parked on the road will be inviting some body to make my life miserable by either damaging it or me in an attempt to steal it or out of envy.

Also i get annoyed seeing how i pay my taxes and can't have things like this with out the worry and risks whilst being told what a wonderful job the police are doing and they proudly report how they clear up some thing like 15% of Burglary and 10% of car crime!
Old 28 July 2004, 03:35 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Talking

Griff007,

Some details on link below. Check out group buys section, always seem to be a group buy going on for these.

http://www.secureyoursaxo.co.uk/stor...p?idProduct=30

Damian.
Old 28 July 2004, 04:06 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Adrian, seems like you have the same thoughts and worries as me, and similar living situation

The guy a few doors from me with the Scoob also has a van, and strangely enough that has been keyed on our street all the way down one side.
Old 28 July 2004, 05:41 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Adrian,

I know what you mean with mindless idiots in the neighbourhood.

I have a mate who parks his Ford Focus 1.8LX standard car outside his house. Broken rear light, smashed drivers side mirror, bonnet has rather vicious dent which has now started to rust. Roof has similar dent. All the way down either side of the car front to back has deep scratches front to back.

It needs a respray but what's the point.

If I lived in his area I would not have a scoob or would look at renting somewhere which is secure.

Damian.
Old 28 July 2004, 05:54 PM
Shortboy
Scooby Regular

Mine's parked on the street because I've go no choice where I live. I can't even rent a garage, but I want a scoob, so what else do I do? No problems so far, but like others here I am paranoid - sleep with the window open (bedroom, not car ), outside light on all night, etc.etc.
Old 28 July 2004, 06:39 PM
supersarbs
Scooby Regular

Mine is kept on the driveway at night, security light etc.

Can't face using the garage, even if it wasn't full of toot, getting it in and out everytime would drive me round the bend...

As already mentionned, that's what the insurance is for!!!

Pete
Old 28 July 2004, 08:15 PM
topoff
Scooby Regular

Brought a MY01 end of march and was kept on the road for about 6 weeks in which time I had a small dent on the rear drivers wheel arch and a scuff mark on the bonnet by my lights (which were covered in mud and stones)

I then got a council garage and is in there EVERY time I come home, I have a tracker fitted,gearbox lock defender and disk lock plus a garage defender

I am more bother by people scratching and denting my scoob rather than stealing it now
Old 28 July 2004, 08:38 PM
GimmeMore
Scooby Regular

Mines on the drive with the keys in for convenience ... just like my new superbike ) Saves me time cos I often have to hunt for my keys if I leave em in the house and my garage is usually full of crap.
Old 28 July 2004, 08:57 PM
DEEDEE
Scooby Regular

Garage alarmed - car alarmed - wifes car parked upto garage door, if they move the wifes car and enter garage alarm goes off, then they have to get in the car, by that time all bells would be ringing, sorry forgot to mention a bloody big row of big slavering teeth. fetch boy fetch

Quick Reply: Is your Scoob garaged or not?