Which cams for my 2.35

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2020, 09:55 AM
lockheed
Scooby Regular

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts
Default Which cams for my 2.35

Hi everyone
I have a 2.35 stroker in my car but its got stock 2.5 fsti heads on it B25 ? which has stock wrx cams ? The motor has just ticked over the 50k millage mark and still going strong ,but im at the point where it will need a refresh sooner or later .
The heads have the usual single side avcs so im looking at buying Vernier pulleys for that and getting new slightly hotter cams when it eventually needs a rebuild the clutch is also bouncing a bit but has done very well as ive been running well over 450 brake for most of the 50k its covered , it also needs a 4 bar map sensor .

Hopefully this will all be fitted while the motor is out .
So which cam kit should I go for ?
Old 17 May 2020, 10:29 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by lockheed
Hi everyone
I have a 2.35 stroker in my car but its got stock 2.5 fsti heads on it B25 ? which has stock wrx cams ? The motor has just ticked over the 50k millage mark and still going strong ,but im at the point where it will need a refresh sooner or later .
The heads have the usual single side avcs so im looking at buying Vernier pulleys for that and getting new slightly hotter cams when it eventually needs a rebuild the clutch is also bouncing a bit but has done very well as ive been running well over 450 brake for most of the 50k its covered , it also needs a 4 bar map sensor .

Hopefully this will all be fitted while the motor is out .
So which cam kit should I go for ?
How much power are you looking to run?The reason that i ask is i would not be looking at camshafts unless i was looking for 600bhp plus...but here's a few that i have used or friends of mine run in their Subarus :advanced automotive,RCM do their own camshafts,HKS camshafts are Nice,Cosworth do camshafts for Subaru they are very good but pricey,Kelford cams are quite good,I hope thats a start for you.SJ.
Old 17 May 2020, 11:02 AM
lockheed
Scooby Regular

Thanks , Im looking to break the 600 mark this year ,I suppose my main problem is to decipher which ones fit , the RCM ones clearly say which ones fit the single avcs as does kelford because the cam triggers are different ?
I don't want to go too lairy on the same note I don't want buy ones similar to the ones I already have , sorry if the question seems a bit basic . Im also looking to get the heads ported maybe CNC heads would be an option.
Old 17 May 2020, 11:24 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by lockheed
Thanks , Im looking to break the 600 mark this year ,I suppose my main problem is to decipher which ones fit , the RCM ones clearly say which ones fit the single avcs as does kelford because the cam triggers are different ?
I don't want to go too lairy on the same note I don't want buy ones similar to the ones I already have , sorry if the question seems a bit basic . Im also looking to get the heads ported maybe CNC heads would be an option.
Yeah i understand matey my friend runs kelford cams 272/272 and his car pulls nice more responsive then mine but still with a powerful midrange and top end my car is a tad laggier in the beginning but my midrange and top end is more aggressive.SJ.
Old 17 May 2020, 01:14 PM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

I’m running Lateral LP05 cams which are 272/272. Smooth idle, responsive on the road and great on the track

Last edited by IainMilford; 17 May 2020 at 01:17 PM.
Old 17 May 2020, 02:31 PM
lockheed
Scooby Regular

Thanks Ian, i was talking to Mark about cams he organised the rest of my build but he has the memory of a gold fish, if i want anything from him sometimes i have to message every day.
But you reckon their worth waiting for?
Old 17 May 2020, 03:40 PM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

They work well on mine, ultimately depends on your intended usage. You could go a bit more lairy and get a bit extra top end but potentially at the compromise of spool and bottom end responsiveness.

Old 18 May 2020, 09:14 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

we have had very good results with RCM variants and they are very cost effective also..............
The following users liked this post: