Notices

400bhp-EG33n/a or 2.5L turbo

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2019, 06:30 PM
imacleverdick
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 400bhp-EG33n/a or 2.5L turbo

Afternoon.I would like to revive my SVX,to do the odd trackday again,but mainly just to take it out for enjoying long roadtrips,but cant decide which under the bonnet direction to go in.I would like it to have decent acceleration for overtaking,across the power range,but not after big topend,The eg33 in the car has a cooling problem(pushs water into the header tank,but wont go back into the radiator),hence needs some sort of rebuild.On the other hand the svx has had a manual conversion(API engine put a P1 hybred 5speed in it,ido realise the 5 speed is only good for 350bhp,but my goal doesn't have to be dialed in.) and it has also had a megasquit type engine loom wired in for tuning,which worked well.So an EJ engine could in theory drop in,as mountings to chassis and gearbox are the same.If going down that route I would have to factor in a FMIC and would the gearbox take the power.Have read the EJ20 may not be a good idea,as car weighs 1500kgs.So could anyone recommend a someone/company that would be up for the job,(in/out,mapping).I know Paul Finch is the godfather of the EG33,but I don't think my budget will stretch,wilks engines have come up too for the other routeDont know if Legacy twin turbo would be ok..Going to have to sell my V4 type r to fund project,but taking it to Brands Hatch,Donington and Cadwell for evening trackdays in the next two weeks as a last blast.Cheers

Last edited by imacleverdick; 14 August 2019 at 09:24 AM. Reason: gearbox info
Old 14 August 2019, 11:03 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

I don't know much about the eg33, but I just have to say that your car looks very nice in a retro-cool kind of way!

How does it drive compared to the scoob? Is it more of a cruiser?
Old 14 August 2019, 05:21 PM
imacleverdick
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Afternoon,defiantly 90s JDM look,often thought of cross between skyline/mistu 3000gt.Strange really when the styling was done by ItalDesign Giorgetto Giugiaro(designer of the BMW M1,DeLorean dmc-`12 and Lotus esprit,to name but a few).Its a GT car,and people who have had them will tell you what a great car they are,but most people don't know what they are,so questions are constantly asked.The only thing Subaru about it is the realiabilty and the Subaru writing.Its actually an Alcyone,which was only made in 4 speed auto spec,the manual conversion and S/Steel exhurst(2 cats removed has transformed the drive.Is done 25 trackdays,but 230bhp on a heavy was never enough,i even put coilovers and 6pot front brakes on to help carry the speed though the corners.But the engine finally had its day,hence the thead.Thats why bought the type r,its a brilliant car,with loads of knowledge and spares on tap.Just time to try and move back to the svx,as the engine knowledge has evolved.Thanks