Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Swap `92RS with a `01 STI

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2002, 12:39 PM
xQx
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[Note: I'm talking about the australian model subarus... WRXs are EJ20s with turbos, and the Liberty RS is a Legacy RS everywhere else in the world]

I really want to know if anyone who's dealt with engine swaps, or replacing subaru engines can tell me how much effort is going to be involved in doing this.

I've got a Subaru Liberty 92 turbo. This was the car subaru released before the wrx, with the same engine as the `94 WRX, in a full sedan body. (EJ20)

What I'd like to do is get a 2001 STI half cut, and drop the STI engine (still an EJ20, but about 10 years newer) into the liberty, hopefully with the 6 speed gearbox.

Being a halfcut, the new ECU will be included with the engine, but a aftermarket ECU is probably nessessary.

So, the question... Is this possible? and How much money should I put aside for difficulties getting it to fit? .. Has anyone attempted anything like this in the past?

Thanks.
Old 25 March 2002, 01:05 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

more importantly why do you want to do it?

The new engien has some decent features, but nothing extra odrinary.

it has tumble generators which are good for leaner burning meaning lower emissions, but no better for outrigth power.

It has vvt again, a drivaility compromise, and even then, not sure if the aftermarket ecus will control it in the same way.

Dont know if the 6 speed gearbox is any bigger, would hope so, otherwise 6 gears in what is already tiny box would be a bad combination. In short, I would go for and sti3 or sti 4 engine.

I certainly woudl not go so far as to say it was a ten year newer design, because it simply isnt that different!
Old 25 March 2002, 10:23 PM
xQx
Scooby Newbie

I had chosen the `01 STI engine because it has more torque than the engines before it, along with VVT and sodium-filled valves.

I understand it doesn't make as much power as the previous engine, but it just seems more advanced.

The 6 speed box and upgraded brakes also caught my attention, as the car it's going into is heavier than the average WRX (legacy = 1350kgs), so the extra torque wouldn't go unnoticed.

I've had no experiance in tuning a VVT engine, and it may be better to get the last model pre-01 STI for the upgrade.

I'm just trying to work out if it'll fit, and how much effort I'd have to go to to make it work in a 10 year old car.
Old 26 March 2002, 08:40 AM
fatcatwrx
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

The new 6 speed gearbox is considerably bigger with each individual gear being 30% bigger than that of the classic shape 5 speed gearbox. Not only this, but it would take considerable amount of work in making the transmission tunnel bigger to fit in the new transmission, something which AFAIK has yet to be achieve.

Regards,

Gerrod
Old 26 March 2002, 01:38 PM
xQx
Scooby Newbie

Hmmm, I'm not liking the sound of that at all

Well, what would be gained if I moved from the 92 EJ20 to the 99EJ20 from an STI?

Was there any notable engine mods between 92 and 99 that would justify a swap? ... and can the STI engines be tuned at all to give better power, or are they already tuned to their potential?

I'd imagine a MY92 - MY99 engine swap would almost be a drop in replacement wouldn't it?