Notices

4th Gear Crunch

Search this Thread

Old 10 August 2019, 04:10 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4th Gear Crunch

Now this is annoying.. having just bought the car near 3 weeks back...I only got out in it today!

2005 STI - DCCD

Seems I'm having difficulty getting in 4th gear..noticed on the motorway. Around town it was ok...as maybe the engine is at higher rpms?

Previous owner (t***) I am guessing knew of the issue...as he had a new clutch put in and the gearbox oil changed...which is the first thing to do...and the cars just been parked up...

Also think he drove like a baby..as soon as I tried to go round the roundabouts....crunch crunch...that's a different problem. .

Is this a big expense? As I am looking at a bigger turbo and a remap..

Who can I approach to get this fixed?

Last edited by SamUK; 10 August 2019 at 04:11 PM.
Old 10 August 2019, 05:00 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

He's liable if he sold it knowing about it, otherwise it's a rebuild.
Old 10 August 2019, 05:38 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

sam am i right in thinking that you will be going thwaites soon? they rebuild boxes so ask the question. more than likely you have syncro damage and need uprated carbon rings in the box. lets hope you dont need the dccd unit.............................................. .....................£3.5k + vat
Old 10 August 2019, 06:08 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by the shreksta
sam am i right in thinking that you will be going thwaites soon? they rebuild boxes so ask the question. more than likely you have syncro damage and need uprated carbon rings in the box. lets hope you dont need the dccd unit.............................................. .....................£3.5k + vat

£3.5k really!

I'm there next wednesday afternoon.. but waiting 3 weeks for a health check is not really working with me.. but will ask them..I'm guessing they cant tell what the issue is without opening.
Old 10 August 2019, 06:15 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
He's liable if he sold it knowing about it, otherwise it's a rebuild.
That's going to be sold as seen...and it's odd.. as i think he is a member on some forms..but not scoobynet..

He would just deny it...I am so pissed off..he seemed like a genuine guy..
Old 10 August 2019, 06:19 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SamUK
£3.5k really!

I'm there next wednesday afternoon.. but waiting 3 weeks for a health check is not really working with me.. but will ask them..I'm guessing they cant tell what the issue is without opening.
from memory when i spoke to mark @ thwaites about the cost of rebuilding a 6 speed dccd box would costs around £2k if its just uprating the syncro rings, the boxes are really really strong but mis-use or neglect will ruin them. perhaps try a gearbox oil change as if they have used the wrong type that could possibly cause issues. how many miles has the car got on it?

a second hand box will set you back around £1900
Old 10 August 2019, 09:26 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

from memory when i spoke to mark @ thwaites about the cost of rebuilding a 6 speed dccd box would costs around £2k if its just uprating the syncro rings, the boxes are really really strong but mis-use or neglect will ruin them. perhaps try a gearbox oil change as if they have used the wrong type that could possibly cause issues. how many miles has the car got on it?

a second hand box will set you back around £1900

Car has 70k.. how do you miss use a gearbox? I was under the impression these gearboxes were like bullet proof..

Will check when I get home tommrow what oil was used from the invoices..

It's only on downshift at higher speeds from 5th to 4th..

Hoping it is just the synchro? As checking the net people have had issues with 4th gear...and this sounds like it.

https://www.clubwrx.net/threads/4th-gear-grind.134305841/

Last edited by SamUK; 10 August 2019 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11 August 2019, 08:10 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Redline shockproof trans oil may help, but previous owner may have tried this.
Old 12 August 2019, 05:39 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Gearbox & Diff oil was changed back in June 2018 by Triton, does not say on the invocie what they used.but been trying to call them but phone just dies!

After having spoken to few people...sounds like the syncro - as its at higer engine speeds and not higher rpm.

Cost wise i have been told between £700 - £1200 + vat! as i am sure there will be other things that will also need replacing.
Old 13 August 2019, 07:37 AM
Dave Y
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 133 Likes on 97 Posts

That's going to be sold as seen...and it's odd.. as i think he is a member on some forms..but not scoobynet..

He would just deny it...I am so pissed off..he seemed like a genuine guy..
When doing any deals they all come across as genuine Sam or is that just me being bitter ?
Old 13 August 2019, 09:02 AM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Dave Y
When doing any deals they all come across as genuine Sam or is that just me being bitter ?
Lol

Maybe...some sellers just sound like ***** on msgs or on the phone...that's in general with any type of seller..they are just stuck off...by the gut feeling to keep away..
Old 13 August 2019, 10:46 AM
Dave Y
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 133 Likes on 97 Posts

this may come across as a daft question but have you tried double de clutching ? It may ease the crunching till you can sort it out.
Old 13 August 2019, 11:08 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

this may come across as a daft question but have you tried double de clutching ? It may ease the crunching till you can sort it out.
Could it be a clutch clearance issue? I had an ep3 type r 2004 plate that drove fine apart from coming down from 3rd to 2nd, the ep3 gearboxes have a common issue so I was expecting a box rebuild, I changed the clutch along with new release bearing and new fluid for the box and it cleared the issue right up, that was 6 years ago and I know the car is still going strong now.
Old 03 September 2019, 12:55 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

yupp tried this no luck

Could it be a clutch clearance issue? I had an ep3 type r 2004 plate that drove fine apart from coming down from 3rd to 2nd, the ep3 gearboxes have a common issue so I was expecting a box rebuild, I changed the clutch along with new release bearing and new fluid for the box and it cleared the issue right up, that was 6 years ago and I know the car is still going strong now.
Cars had a new clutch not too long ago - as Mark showed me the shiny new part under the car :-) I will also mention this.

Decided to give the car, to have the box looked at - am little stapped for cash but think this needs sorting.

I had looked into 3 places: as i needed to get advise and figure ou what is what and how to move forward.

Pole Position, who use TEG Motorsport for box rebuilds - and after calling TEG, they are extremly busy and have a 4 week wait, and i never got my call back either.
Cheveron - looked promising, however Simon is extremly busy to talk and give advise. They also had a 3+ week wait..

TDR, loved the fact that when you call, anyone who asnswers has knowlowdge of scoobies - Have booked to drop the car to TDR on the 21st september.

Is it worth asking them to do a change of poil first, or just get it open?
Old 03 September 2019, 02:05 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

yupp tried this no luck

Cars had a new clutch not too long ago - as Mark showed me the shiny new part under the car :-) I will also mention this.

Decided to give the car, to have the box looked at - am little stapped for cash but think this needs sorting.

I had looked into 3 places: as i needed to get advise and figure ou what is what and how to move forward.

Pole Position, who use TEG Motorsport for box rebuilds - and after calling TEG, they are extremly busy and have a 4 week wait, and i never got my call back either.
Cheveron - looked promising, however Simon is extremly busy to talk and give advise. They also had a 3+ week wait..

TDR, loved the fact that when you call, anyone who asnswers has knowlowdge of scoobies - Have booked to drop the car to TDR on the 21st september.

Is it worth asking them to do a change of poil first, or just get it open?
Tdr are awesome mate and nothing is too much for them. I would say get it opened up 1st, no point putting oil in a possibly damaged box.
Old 03 September 2019, 02:54 PM
LewisScoob
Scooby Regular

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Personally, i'd go with an oil swap first. It might be the issue and if its not you're only out by an oil change.
Old 07 September 2019, 08:01 AM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

It’s common for the synchros to wear on 4th/5th, TEG sport rebuilt mine with a brand new gear set, box is unbelievable now, basically brand new 👍

Last edited by IainMilford; 07 September 2019 at 09:33 AM.