Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

5th Gear syncro problems...Anyone

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2004, 06:16 PM
Scoobyslammed
Scooby Regular

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts
Angry 5th Gear syncro problems...Anyone

Does anyone else have this problem... I own a MY00 UK2000 Turbo awd...
The car has just under 45K on it... and the syncro is going in 5th gear... I hardley do any miles in the car, and I've only put 2.5K on it since Nove 03'...
I'm well pi**ed off... Phoned up API and they were very helpful... but its gonna cost me £515 quid for a box + vat...
And for removal and refitting + new gearbox and diff oil, and a New uprated clutch fitted... £690 quid done by ABP motorsport... this is not far off £1300 quid...
So I've been on the phone today too customer inquiries... they were helpful... but it turns out my cars been imported from eva Netherlands or Belgium form new... So they don't wanna know now cause the 3 year warrenty is up... they have said I could contact which eva countries customer inquiries... cause they deal with each claim as and individual case... but what do you think my chances are... they have said if the box is agreed as faulty they will pay up... and get my local dealer to repair it...
Surley this is a Watchdog thing... cause I've phoned Subaru and they know of this problem... and all that have gone under warrenty have been replaced... reason why they have not been recalled is cause it would cost Subaru too much money... But what about us... why should we pay if they know these boxes have a fault in 5th gear... common guys... if we stand together on this... we could all get our boxes sorted if theres enough of us...
Old 17 June 2004, 06:52 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Angry me too...

I'm getting exactly the same prob with 4th and its spreading to 5th...i have a Uk MY00 turbo wagon so i guess the same would apply to me.

What have you in mind the thought of spending a grand when i've only done 35k miles is a ****e one.
Old 17 June 2004, 07:37 PM
mark*b
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before you splash out a new box try replacing the oil with a top quality synthetic one. It makes a big difference.
Old 17 June 2004, 11:43 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

5th gear can be changed with the box in the car all you need is the fith gear hub and synchro rings and 1 possibly 2 gaskets plus some good oil like castrol syntrax. only takes a couple of hours to do
Old 18 June 2004, 07:01 AM
Scoobyslammed
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by scoobyboy
5th gear can be changed with the box in the car all you need is the fith gear hub and synchro rings and 1 possibly 2 gaskets plus some good oil like castrol syntrax. only takes a couple of hours to do
You sound like you've done this before... what sort of cost am I looking at then... as this sounds like a way better option than the ££££...
Old 18 June 2004, 07:09 AM
Scoobyslammed
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

In reply to what can we do... well, All I can think of is anyone that has the same problem post up on here... As Subaru know of this fault... why should every owner wait for this problem to happen... I paid £10.5K for my car which ain't alot compared to some of you, but I'm only 22 year old... and to pay near £1500 quid out to get the box working propa' again is wa*k!!! With such low mileage on all these cars, it's a discrace...
Would have thought they'ed recall them really... but they said it would cost them too much... so why should it cost us...? Again!!!!!!!! If theres enough of us we need to stand together on this one...
Old 18 June 2004, 07:39 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by scoobyboy
i was under the inmpression 4th and 5th came together...so does this mean i can sort 4th like this too...(please!!)?

Trending Topics

Old 18 June 2004, 08:49 AM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

Can someone explain the symptoms for me please? Thanks.
Old 18 June 2004, 01:58 PM
motorman
Scooby Regular

Just had the 5th Gear synchro replaced in my MY00 by the local dealer, the car is out of warranty so it cost around £490 for parts plus another £400 labour including VAT.

Jon
Old 18 June 2004, 02:03 PM
CustomScoobyIOM
Scooby Regular

Bloody hell.

Thats a lot.
Old 18 June 2004, 02:04 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try rally colin do a search and you will find he is highly regarded and a fair price.

try mailto:sales@thamesvalleymotorsport.co.uk
Telephone 01189451333
Fax 01189451333
Old 18 June 2004, 06:22 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

yes i've done a few to say the least but not sure on actual costs but if you want i will get a price tomorrow of what we would charge. as long as it's just the synchro you can do it like this but if you have to change the gears themselves then it will need to come off the car and split.
unfortunatly you can't do 4th like this and you have to do 4th and 3rd together but you have to split the box.
Old 18 June 2004, 07:03 PM
Scoobyslammed
Scooby Regular

Question

I've been on to Monks heath Subaru garage in Mac...
The 5th gear hub syncro is around the £500 quid mark... Spoke to a tech bloke... he said you can change it without taking the box out... but its a pain in the ****... and as mentioned... some boxes also require new gears... which is a box off job... Gears are £111 quid...
So your parts come to just over the £600 quid mark... Then he said 5hours for box removal and refit... and 3 hours for strip and rebuild of the gearbox... Then the new oil aswell on refit...
So this all done by Subaru is just over £1000 quid...!!! But it'll be like a better than new box... due to this revised 5th gear syncro... way I see it theres no point of buying a 2nd hand box... cause this fault could accur at any time, and as I plan to keep mine... think I'm gonna pot for the rebuild... with the new parts in... wether I get Subaru to do it is another question...???

Last edited by Scoobyslammed; 18 June 2004 at 07:28 PM.
Old 18 June 2004, 07:37 PM
Scoobyslammed
Scooby Regular

Talking

Explain the symtoms... well... I notice mine more at speed really... when changing from 4th to 5th, or from 5th to 4th... you put the clutch pedal to the floor... select the gear... as your selecting it eva crunches or feels really rough/ tight to select gear... like you haven't pressed the clutch down far enough...
Just not as smooth as all the rest of the gears really... Hope this helps...!
Old 19 June 2004, 09:32 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

Angry 4th gear symptoms

Originally Posted by Scoobyslammed
Explain the symtoms... well... I notice mine more at speed really... when changing from 4th to 5th, or from 5th to 4th... you put the clutch pedal to the floor... select the gear... as your selecting it eva crunches or feels really rough/ tight to select gear... like you haven't pressed the clutch down far enough...
Just not as smooth as all the rest of the gears really... Hope this helps...!
exactly the same 3rd to 4th and 5th to 4th...below 2500 rpm smooth as silk but under power sounds like you have not depressed the cluch...

Last edited by trails; 19 June 2004 at 09:51 AM.
Old 25 April 2005, 10:42 PM
Coupe-Se
Scooby Regular

Glad to have found this thread!!!

I have just bought an 04 WRX with 6k on the clock and have found that if I upchange from 4th to 5th above 80mph it crunches no matter what I do!! I was thinking it was due to my driving style but looks like its a common problem even on low milage cars like mine
Old 26 April 2005, 06:32 PM
bikerthou
Scooby Regular

its easy to renew 5th with the box in also it could be the nut has worked loose leaving it all sloppy
Old 27 April 2005, 11:22 AM
Coupe-Se
Scooby Regular

My local dealer (Donalds at Peterborough) are having the car in for 2 days to get it sorted and said its a fairly common problem. Shame they did'nt check it before selling the car to me

Can't believe its gone after 6k miles though!!!!
Old 27 April 2005, 12:15 PM
Jerry B
Scooby Regular

Had synchro probs on 2nd/3rd fixed under warranty on a '98 a couple of years back.
Now I have an '03 WRX with synchro on the way out on 5th gear. It's going in when they get the parts. Should be a warranty issue again, don't expect any problem.

It is a bit crap I must admit. Only done 37k and fifth is not the one I'd expect to have problems on if any gear, so all I can say is if it's dodgy on any of yours and you've still got warranty left get it done!
Old 27 April 2005, 12:36 PM
FB Tuning
Former Sponsor

IMO, if you are being quoted 1K+ to repair a UK 5 speed box, you might as well bite the bullet and spend that little bit extra on a 6 speed

Fit and forget