Notices

STI subframe - louder exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2019, 05:37 PM
hill79
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default STI subframe - louder exhaust?

I had the crusty rear subframe on my bug WRX replaced with a lovely fresh powder coated one from an STI, with solid bushes where it mounts to the body.

When I picked the car up, the exhaust note is noticeably gruffer, with a more pronounced burble throughout the rev range. Is that kind of change in NVH typical when going from floppy old WRX bushes to solid ones?

There's an exhaust hanger on the subframe, so I'd imagine more noise is getting transmitted through the body, less vibration being absorbed by the bushes and it results in more noise?

Or am I talking out of my ****? 😁
Old 26 July 2019, 06:24 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't help you with your question, sorry but would you mind passing on what labour time did the garage attach to replacing the subframe?
thanks
Trev
Old 26 July 2019, 06:34 PM
pjarvis6666
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by hill79
I had the crusty rear subframe on my bug WRX replaced with a lovely fresh powder coated one from an STI, with solid bushes where it mounts to the body.

When I picked the car up, the exhaust note is noticeably gruffer, with a more pronounced burble throughout the rev range. Is that kind of change in NVH typical when going from floppy old WRX bushes to solid ones?

There's an exhaust hanger on the subframe, so I'd imagine more noise is getting transmitted through the body, less vibration being absorbed by the bushes and it results in more noise?

Or am I talking out of my ****? 😁
Sounds like the exhaust maybe blowing as you need to remove it to replace the subframe
Old 26 July 2019, 06:38 PM
hill79
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by trevsjwood
I can't help you with your question, sorry but would you mind passing on what labour time did the garage attach to replacing the subframe?
thanks
Trev
About 8 hours all told. Two of the four bolts that attach to the body snapped and needed cutting free, and a couple of lateral arm bushes needed replacing. It could have been a lot more if all four bolts had snapped. Apparently it's always a pig of a job. Final bill was £500, excluding the subframe cost.
The following users liked this post:
Old 26 July 2019, 06:40 PM
hill79
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pjarvis6666
Sounds like the exhaust maybe blowing as you need to remove it to replace the subframe
I knew I was kidding myself... I've just had the majority of the system replaced, it was fine before. Do you think I have recourse to complain or will it just be 'one of those things'.
Old 26 July 2019, 06:48 PM
pjarvis6666
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I knew I was kidding myself... I've just had the majority of the system replaced, it was fine before. Do you think I have recourse to complain or will it just be 'one of those things'.
One of the bolts may just need nipping up or a gasket blowing, nothing serious
Old 26 July 2019, 07:05 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

About 8 hours all told. Two of the four bolts that attach to the body snapped and needed cutting free, and a couple of lateral arm bushes needed replacing. It could have been a lot more if all four bolts had snapped. Apparently it's always a pig of a job. Final bill was £500, excluding the subframe cost.
that's really useful mate thanks, definitely not a job for the faint hearted.
thanks
Trev