Notices

40 bhp dealer upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 14 June 2002, 06:01 PM
Haggistrap
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My local Subaru dealer has an upgrade option which quotes a 40bhp increase and more mid range torque. Price £470, seems OK, what do you lot think...???

They also have another upgrade a prodrive rear box which they say will give further increases

Thanks for any comments
Old 14 June 2002, 11:07 PM
towzer
Scooby Regular

My dealer contacted me about a similar upgrde for my STi7, though he quoted 1600 squid for an new ECU and a new back box. Apparently it'll take it up to 302BHP and it's an 'official' upgrade therefore it won't void the warranty.

the upgrade was supposed to be available at the begining of june...well i make it 14th june today and nothing more has surfaced!

£470 seems a reasonable cost for 40 extra horses, ask the dealer to let you test drive one of their demonstrators that has the upgrade. I used to have an M3 Evo which i paid a silly amount of money to be 'chipped' by Schnitzer but it made bugger all diference, so definately try before you buy.

Phil
Old 17 June 2002, 06:36 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

What does the upgrade consist of? May just be an FCD and bleed valve worth 10 quid.....

Richard
Old 17 June 2002, 11:56 AM
SoreHead
Scooby Regular

The £1600 one sounds like the PPP for the STi7. The 40bhp one sounds dodgy. You say they offer an exhaust to give even more? Sounds like they plan to crank the boost up a bit. I'd find out exactly what they plan to do before i'd commit to anything. Horses cost money. There are quick and easy ways to get a few more but not neccessarily safe. You should definitely notice 40bhp more so I'd want to make sure it's safe.

The PPP doesn't claim that much and that replaces backbox, one of the centre pipes (cat replacement I believe), intercooler piping and the ECU.

You could get a boost controller for the money you're talking about and just crank it up but I doubt the car would last too long and it certainly wouldn't be covered by warrantee. Having said that, if it works and it proves safe give me their phone number
Old 17 June 2002, 12:13 PM
towzer
Scooby Regular

So I'm told the £1600 offering is a PPP fo rthe STi7. It's supposed to take an hour to fit and can be done by the dealer. I'm new to this Impreza lark any thoughts/advice are welcome

Phil
Old 17 June 2002, 12:23 PM
SoreHead
Scooby Regular

The die-hards on here will probably say the PPP isn't worth it but that's a matter for you to decide. You can probably do the same or similar for less but you lose the warrantee.

I've gone with the PPP with that as the main reason. I will do some other small mods to compliment it and then leave it at that until the warrantee is up. Then it's a free for all.

To be honest I don't think it's as bad value as some would suggest so I'd probably give it serious consideration even if I didn't worry about the warrantee. At least I am safe in the knowledge that I can run 95octane safely when I can't find 97/98 and that all the bits were done to suit eachother. Personal preference I think.
Old 18 June 2002, 01:56 PM
towzer
Scooby Regular

I took a PCP finance deal on the car over a three year period and need to be careful with non-official upgrades, so really the PPP is the only route I can take.

Phil
Old 18 June 2002, 04:45 PM
SoreHead
Scooby Regular

Just collected my car with the PPP fitted and played on the way back to the office. Still hate the state of the exhaust tip. Way to MaxPower for my liking. Noise is nice though.

The performance is mucho changed. Not very low down (where I was hoping for) but it's MUCH stronger in the middle of the rev range. More so then I was expecting. A pleasent surprise. Just need to get the nice fuel and reset the ECU and I'm away.
Old 18 June 2002, 07:05 PM
Haggistrap
Scooby Regular

spoke to my dealer again today about the 40BHP upgrade. It is ONLY an ECU remap, and they pay someone to come in and do it.....

Not to sure how they can claim 40BHP but that is what the sign said!!

Worth it, will it get 40BHP extra from just a remap????