Notices

Front & rear diff oil change questions please?

Search this Thread

Old 29 December 2017, 12:30 AM
Paulgeorge01
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Front & rear diff oil change questions please?

Hi All,

Thanks for any replies in advance. Much appreciated.

Going to change the gearbox, front, centre diff oil & rear diff oil tomorrow on my WR1. 6 speed box so I have the 2 drain plugs to remove to completely drain oil. I found these torque specs in an old Haynes manual so just wanted to know if they are correct.

14 mm drain plug oil pan side shaped like a lozenger/oblong= 44 Nm?
21 mm drain plug from clutch housing side = 70 Nm?

Now the rear diff.

Bottom drain plug = 49 Nm?
Top filler plug = 49 Nm?
What torque is the oil temperature sensor to the filler plug???

I have an oil temperature sensor connected to my rear diff filler plug. The fitting size of this is 19 mm. When I tried my 30 mm socket over the sensor to locate the filler plug on the diff side casing I couldn’t get enough of the socket onto the 30 mm part of the filler plug to safely remove it as I think I would slip on the hexagon due to the sensor taking up too much swallow inside the socket & not allowing me right on the 30 mm filler plug to casing connection.

So I am guessing you remove the sensor first then remove the 30 mm filler plug from the diff casing?

Or can you just remove the sensor & have enough room to fill the rear diff through the female thread at the top of the filler plug?

Or do you have to remove the filler plus as well to allow enough space to fill?

I will be gravity feeding with a funnel & a piece of hose. This technique worked well for me on my classic turbo rear diff.

Or if you are on the sensor then it breaks at the filler plug then happy days?

What is the torque for the connection from sensor into the female part of the filler plug – just in case it breaks there? Is it the same as what i think the torque is for the bottom drain plug & top filler plug being 49 Nm???

It also states in the manual to apply fluid packing to the threads. I never did this on my classic rear diff & none of the 2 plugs leaked. Are you supposed to do this?

Cheers Paul.