Notices

MeisterR Coilover height what am I doing wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 01 July 2017, 09:48 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Default MeisterR Coilover height what am I doing wrong?

So I've fitted my MeisterR Zeta CRD+ coilovers,first I did the fronts,checked pre-load which was good,I left the height thinking it would be somewhere near,dropped the car and instantly knew it was too low as the jack wouldn't come out,had a measure and sure enough it was 310mm! I'm aiming for 340mm front.
The video clips I've seen of people making height adjustments makes it look easy,unlock the bottom collar and turn the coilover by hand,would it move for me,nope! I ended up bringing the top collar down which locks the pre-load collar and locking it onto the bottom one,then using the C-spanner I could turn it.
Anyway onto the rears.
I thought I would be clever and added 20mm before I fitted,dropped the car and **** me 375mm lol I'm aiming for 345mm rear,so went about adjusting down,initially I could move the coilover by hand,put a jack under the disc to take some pressure off but it got to the point where I ended up using the same method and bringing the top collar down to lock on and adjust.

I'm still a bit out so need to go again,I'm at 330mm front 350mm rear so not miles out.
Am I missing something or doing something wrong as like I say the video clips make it look easy to turn the coilover once the bottom collar is unlocked?

Just to add,I did coat the coilovers in lithium grease after fitting,is it just the fact I've greased them and the threads that's making it so hard to turn them?
Old 01 July 2017, 10:20 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does Lithium grease count as anti seize? I am sure it dries and could then you would have this issue. I used copper ease on my suspension but after a while even that gets tough to undo.
Old 01 July 2017, 10:23 PM
johnlogie
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like it's just down to load on the coilover, whether it's extended or compressed when the jacks under compressing it.
Old 01 July 2017, 10:30 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 360ste
Does Lithium grease count as anti seize? I am sure it dries and could then you would have this issue. I used copper ease on my suspension but after a while even that gets tough to undo.
I used lithium as that's what it says in the instruction book,once they're set then I'm pretty sure I won't be changing anytime soon.

Originally Posted by johnlogie
Sounds like it's just down to load on the coilover, whether it's extended or compressed when the jacks under compressing it.
Would it be best to take off the pre-load on the spring before I adjust?
I tried it with the Jack just touching,on quite a bit and not at all,still wouldn't budge.
Old 01 July 2017, 11:05 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've fitted BC's and presently Meister GT1's, the latter came with the pre-load already set from factory. Height is adjusted by spinning the base up and down but with the clevis bolts out. That's the way I did mine, I wasn't aware you could adjust with the bottom bolted up, is that what you mean?
Trev
Old 01 July 2017, 11:24 PM
johnlogie
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure what would be easiest Rich. I've always fitted the coilovers as they were then had them set up. It's a garage next door to my office that set up mine. Original set up then took it back 2 weeks later for a check up.
Old 01 July 2017, 11:42 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by trevsjwood
I've fitted BC's and presently Meister GT1's, the latter came with the pre-load already set from factory. Height is adjusted by spinning the base up and down but with the clevis bolts out. That's the way I did mine, I wasn't aware you could adjust with the bottom bolted up, is that what you mean?
Trev
Yes preload was set I just wanted to double check it.
Adjusted with it all bolted up,I've not go far to adjust now so might just use the same method I've been using,just curious to know it i was doing it wrong?
Maybe I should have taken the bolts back out to adjust then.
Cheers
Old 02 July 2017, 09:05 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Adjusted mine with the button bolts all clamped up no problems. Reset the pre-load or they won't drive right. As mentioned they adjust at the bottom nut into the bottom bracket.

Maybe you have some grit in your threads. Try adjusting up then down.
Old 02 July 2017, 09:30 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
Adjusted mine with the button bolts all clamped up no problems. Reset the pre-load or they won't drive right. As mentioned they adjust at the bottom nut into the bottom bracket.

Maybe you have some grit in your threads. Try adjusting up then down.
Cheers,I have left the preload as it was set from factory(2mm) I just checked those before I got started.
After some more reading it looks like I should be using the top collars as they're locked together so moving these the right way will move the whole coilover without moving the preload.
I didn't want to start unbolting the spindle bolts and it was virtually impossible to adjust by hand with bolts in,doesn't seem to be any dirt on the threads,I even gave a healthy spray of release agent to see it that would help.

Last edited by ossett2k2; 02 July 2017 at 09:31 AM.
Old 02 July 2017, 12:27 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Well that wasn't too bad,only did the fronts for now as they were far too low and catching the arch,45mins from getting tools out to putting tools away,when you get used to using the Cspanner it goes a lot smoother.
I really do need to get it onto a proper even surface as our drive is far from flat.
I'll take proper measurements at work tonight then I can get the height dialled in properly.
Old 03 July 2017, 09:39 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Ah that's good. Glad you got this sorted.