Notices

Sube took a poo, CEL, oil/battery light, BUT WILL START

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2017, 06:26 AM
indysubenewb
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sube took a poo, CEL, oil/battery light, BUT WILL START

Alright, so I turned off a State Road and started accelerating in 2nd, shifted to third and shortly after I had I heard a loud bang/thump. (not backfire, sounded like a part falling out of my car)

At this point my CEL, oil light, and battery light all came on and could not accelerate and the engine seemed to be having a hard time staying on period. I pulled off and it died.

Catcher is it WILL turn over and start every time- though does seem like a little extra effort, but dies almost instantly, occasionally it will stay running and struggle to stay going (glub glub glub rev up to 2.5k on its own and hold, then glub glub glub and die) <--just like that. lol

My guess was alternator, but after the research I have done all night it seems people tend to have more issues even getting it to turn over if it is the case. Or a long shot timing belt? Figured id hear the pistons if it was...

I towed it to advanced auto and had them read the codes- NOTHING. I got home and used my fathers, nothing. CEL with no codes... They told me "turbo," but I have not heard any crazy winding or knocking or anything from her till this. Just pulled the turbo for the peace of mind, its not loose and looks to be in good shape.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Ive had this ******* for 2 weeks and its spent more time in the garage then on the road. (bought it off a dip**** 20 year old in wisconsin and the clutch went out 400 miles in, found a radiator hose that was hardly on (with hardly any fluid), AN OUTBACK U-JOINT on the steering column that must have literally fallen off pulling in the driveway, and a axle boot that was not even on. So... im cleaning this car up and giving it the love it deserves in the process.)

2009 WRX premium, 75k miles.... if it makes it sound any better I paid 9k cash in hand. -_- just a lot going into it so far.
Old 30 June 2017, 07:27 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Blown off a turbo hose? Try the main one from intercooler to inlet.
Old 30 June 2017, 08:22 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Find a decent code reader, and see what the cel is. . .
Old 02 July 2017, 12:47 AM
indysubenewb
Scooby Newbie

Alright got it all buttoned back up this morning, idled great, wondering if the driver side inlet hose to the TMIC didn't pop off. CEL, oil, and battery light all gone.

Took it for a test drive and all was well, then headed to town and about halfway there the CEL came on and stayed solid and cruise flashed (misfire)

got to where I was going and whipped out the same sensor I used the other day to pull codes and finally got some feedback.

P0108 (Manifold Absolute pressure/baro sensor high input)

And misfire codes for all 4 cylinders, P0301 through 304

Something that may be worth noting is delayed boost and sometimes not at all, about 1k rpm later than usual

so I'm guessing MAP, MAF or O2 sensor? Don't know which one I should start with first, just tried testing the MAP with my multimeter but lead wouldn't fit in connector and don't have a bobbypin on hand (at work)

any other input or guidance would be greatly appreciated guys, just want this thing to run 48 hours without a new project to keep it going
Old 02 July 2017, 06:36 AM
indysubenewb
Scooby Newbie

Map sensor read 4.95

Maf read 12.45

Am I on the right train of thought to replace that O2 sensor?
Old 02 July 2017, 08:48 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

clear all codes and drive again, see what codes come back.
Old 02 July 2017, 02:50 PM
indysubenewb
Scooby Newbie

came back to the house after work and read the codes, same P0108 MAP code but no misfire codes.

Wiped the codes to get out of failsafe mode and see if I could drive it and get some them to repeat/new codes- went back to idling/accelerating like crap (little to no boost), though it was accelerating like crap in FS mode too.

Took the downpipe off to see if thatd help (thought maybe clogged cat) and still idles like hell. That was my last idea. At a loss here fellas. Last thing I know to do is check the o2 with a DMM.

At this point im starting to think im over looking something stupid simple... I double checked all the hoses but maybe im missing one iiiiidk.. pretty disappointed right now, and doesnt help just got off a 12 hr shift with 3 hrs sleep. Gonna crash and deal with it when I wake up again.

Have any ideas shoot em my way. thanks
Old 02 July 2017, 03:15 PM
stamina_daddy
Scooby Regular

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If you have a cable and laptop, you could try freessm or romraider.
these show all the values for all the sensors etc.
it's a while ago since I used it but otherwise was good from what I remember.
Old 02 July 2017, 03:18 PM
stamina_daddy
Scooby Regular

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390665706953

vag cable
Old 02 July 2017, 03:20 PM
stamina_daddy
Scooby Regular

https://sourceforge.net/projects/freessm.berlios/

where I downloaded ssm from.