obd2 port might be wired wrong

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2016, 12:26 AM
class2instructor
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default obd2 port might be wired wrong

Hello I just got a 2000 jdm forester sti
and i have tried 2 different readers and one company said it definatly will work on my car....I suspect that the previous owner messed something up when adding all the stupid extra junk like automatic toll pay because the obd port was not pushed in all the way....any chance someone here has one and can pop their port out and take a pic so i can see if that is my problem. I do not know what wire does what just where they are and what color....

Last edited by class2instructor; 19 June 2016 at 12:28 AM.
Old 19 June 2016, 12:36 AM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Is there any sign of power at the port (reader lighting up but not reading)
If no sign of power , check all your fuses .
Old 19 June 2016, 12:47 AM
class2instructor
Scooby Newbie

Hey thanks for getting back to me there is power so those pins are in the right place i will post a pic of it.
Old 19 June 2016, 01:00 AM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

After a bit o searching , tripple check all fuses in all fuse boxes. If 100% sure fuses are ok then check all the pins are "seated" properly, they can get pussed back so my not be making contact.

Here's the wiring also.
https://goo.gl/images/kM8s4G

Last edited by CharlySkunkWeed; 19 June 2016 at 01:04 AM.
Old 19 June 2016, 07:05 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

JDM cars were not setup for OBD and only use SSM (Subaru Select Monitor) especially as you are refering to a 2000 model.
Old 19 June 2016, 08:43 AM
peter zippy reid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My obd reader only cleared codes on my jdm wouldnt show anything else
Old 19 June 2016, 10:08 AM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Don Clark
JDM cars were not setup for OBD and only use SSM (Subaru Select Monitor) especially as you are refering to a 2000 model.
As we cant see the other side of his , would an OBD2 reader even fit into anything else other than an OBD2 port ? Are all diagnostic ports the same shape just different types?
Old 19 June 2016, 12:04 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed
As we cant see the other side of his , would an OBD2 reader even fit into anything else other than an OBD2 port ? Are all diagnostic ports the same shape just different types?
The OBD2 type port is used as a generic connector for diagnostics link up.

OBD2 (or here in the UK, EOBD (european OnBoard Diagnosis) did not come into use on Subarus until Model Year 2001 (MY01)

Up until that time it was SSM or the diagnostic plugs.

Useful info here
http://www.vwrx.com/index.php?pg=selectmonitor
Old 19 June 2016, 01:37 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

The OBD2 type port is used as a generic connector for diagnostics link up.

OBD2 (or here in the UK, EOBD (european OnBoard Diagnosis) did not come into use on Subarus until Model Year 2001 (MY01)

Up until that time it was SSM or the diagnostic plugs.

Useful info here
http://www.vwrx.com/index.php?pg=selectmonitor
See i thought the same but Google what year OBD2 came into Subaru and there were a few said 98/99 ?

Though I'd assume if you told 2 different companies the age of your car they'd know if it would work or not ! Or they've just spun lies to get the money
Old 19 June 2016, 05:53 PM
class2instructor
Scooby Newbie

Thanks, I am trying everything suggested today. The colors of the wires are a bit wrong to the diagram. and in the wrong holes. if anyone could take a pic of theirs or tell me iif their pins are the same as mine . I would feel better and could give up on the idea of using torque. the obd scanner unit powers on but cannot connect to ecu, the previous owner spliced stuff off everywhere, and the port was not snapped down which makes me suspicious. I guess I just want to know if anyone else's is wired like mine. Happy Fathers day all. It must be an obd port it is the same size and is in the same place as my USDM L. (wires in that one are different colors. The only wires i know how to identify with a tester are batt and ground).
Old 19 June 2016, 05:54 PM
class2instructor
Scooby Newbie

if anyone needs more pics or anything else just give me a shout.
Old 19 June 2016, 07:47 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by class2instructor
if anyone needs more pics or anything else just give me a shout.

None required cuz OBD doesn't function.

As you mention USDM L (legacy I presume) you are US Based where ODB has been around a long time and probably does work on 2000 USDM Subarus

As mentioned previously the port used is generic and is not wired for OBD but for SSM.

Originally Posted by CharleySkunkWeed
See i thought the same but Google what year OBD2 came into Subaru and there were a few said 98/99 ?
OBD2
History

• 1968: Volkswagen introduces the first on-board computer system with scanning capability, in their fuel-injected Type 3 models.
  • 1978: Datsun 280Z On-board computers begin appearing on consumer vehicles, largely motivated by their need for real-time tuning of fuel injection systems. Simple OBD implementations appear, though there is no standardization in what is monitored or how it is reported.
  • 1980: General Motors implements a proprietary interface and protocol for testing of the Engine Control Module (ECM) on the vehicle assembly line. The 'assembly line diagnostic link' (ALDL) protocol broadcasts at 160 bit/s Implemented on California vehicles for the 1980 model year, and the rest of the United States in 1981. Most owners can read DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Code(s)) by commanding the ECM (Engine Control Module) to flash the CEL (Check Engine Lamp) or MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp) on and off. A PC based Software package called WinALDL will listen to the CLCC (Closed Loop Carburetor Control) and early CLC EFI datastreams over a fairly easy to construct interface cable that converts the 160 baud TTL serial[1] data being transmitted by the ECM to RS232[2] or USB[3] serial data but there is not much information transmitted by these early ECMs.
  • 1986: An upgraded version of the ALDL protocol appears which communicates at 8192 bit/s with half-duplex UART signaling. This protocol is defined in GM XDE-5024B.
  • 1988: The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) recommends a standardized diagnostic connector and set of diagnostic test signals.
  • 1991:[4] The California Air Resources Board (CARB) requires that all new vehicles sold in California in 1991 and newer vehicles have some basic OBD capability. These requirements are generally referred to as "OBD-I", though this name is not applied until the introduction of OBD-II. The data link connector and its position are not standardized, nor is the data protocol.
  • ~1994: Motivated by a desire for a statewide emissions testing program, the CARB issues the OBD-II specification and mandates that it be adopted for all cars sold in California starting in model year 1996 (see CCR Title 13 Section 1968.1 and 40 CFR Part 86 Section 86.094). The DTCs and connector suggested by the SAE are incorporated into this specification.
  • 1996: The OBD-II specification is made mandatory for all cars manufactured in the United States to be sold in the United States.
  • 2001: The European Union makes EOBD mandatory for all gasoline (petrol) vehicles sold in the European Union, starting in MY2001 (see European emission standards Directive 98/69/EC[5]).
  • 2003: The European Union makes EOBD mandatory for all diesel vehicles sold in the European Union
  • 2008: All cars sold in the United States are required to use the ISO 15765-4[6] signaling standard (a variant of the Controller Area Network (CAN) bus).[7]
  • 2008: Certain light vehicles in China are required by the Environmental Protection Administration Office to implement OBD (standard GB18352[8]) by July 1, 2008.[9] Some regional exemptions may apply.
  • 2010: HDOBD (heavy duty) specification is made mandatory for selected commercial (non-passenger car) engines sold in the United States.

Subaru introduced it to Europe with MY01 the introduction of Newage Impreza (Hence the change in ECU's from Jecs to Denso) The last two years of SF Foresters production had to change to this as well (Individual plug coil packs was a clear indicator of the change)

Last edited by Don Clark; 19 June 2016 at 07:51 PM.
Old 19 June 2016, 08:41 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

None required cuz OBD doesn't function.

As you mention USDM L (legacy I presume) you are US Based where ODB has been around a long time and probably does work on 2000 USDM Subarus

As mentioned previously the port used is generic and is not wired for OBD but for SSM.

OBD2
History

• 1968: Volkswagen introduces the first on-board computer system with scanning capability, in their fuel-injected Type 3 models.
  • 1978: Datsun 280Z On-board computers begin appearing on consumer vehicles, largely motivated by their need for real-time tuning of fuel injection systems. Simple OBD implementations appear, though there is no standardization in what is monitored or how it is reported.
  • 1980: General Motors implements a proprietary interface and protocol for testing of the Engine Control Module (ECM) on the vehicle assembly line. The 'assembly line diagnostic link' (ALDL) protocol broadcasts at 160 bit/s Implemented on California vehicles for the 1980 model year, and the rest of the United States in 1981. Most owners can read DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Code(s)) by commanding the ECM (Engine Control Module) to flash the CEL (Check Engine Lamp) or MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp) on and off. A PC based Software package called WinALDL will listen to the CLCC (Closed Loop Carburetor Control) and early CLC EFI datastreams over a fairly easy to construct interface cable that converts the 160 baud TTL serial[1] data being transmitted by the ECM to RS232[2] or USB[3] serial data but there is not much information transmitted by these early ECMs.
  • 1986: An upgraded version of the ALDL protocol appears which communicates at 8192 bit/s with half-duplex UART signaling. This protocol is defined in GM XDE-5024B.
  • 1988: The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) recommends a standardized diagnostic connector and set of diagnostic test signals.
  • 1991:[4] The California Air Resources Board (CARB) requires that all new vehicles sold in California in 1991 and newer vehicles have some basic OBD capability. These requirements are generally referred to as "OBD-I", though this name is not applied until the introduction of OBD-II. The data link connector and its position are not standardized, nor is the data protocol.
  • ~1994: Motivated by a desire for a statewide emissions testing program, the CARB issues the OBD-II specification and mandates that it be adopted for all cars sold in California starting in model year 1996 (see CCR Title 13 Section 1968.1 and 40 CFR Part 86 Section 86.094). The DTCs and connector suggested by the SAE are incorporated into this specification.
  • 1996: The OBD-II specification is made mandatory for all cars manufactured in the United States to be sold in the United States.
  • 2001: The European Union makes EOBD mandatory for all gasoline (petrol) vehicles sold in the European Union, starting in MY2001 (see European emission standards Directive 98/69/EC[5]).
  • 2003: The European Union makes EOBD mandatory for all diesel vehicles sold in the European Union
  • 2008: All cars sold in the United States are required to use the ISO 15765-4[6] signaling standard (a variant of the Controller Area Network (CAN) bus).[7]
  • 2008: Certain light vehicles in China are required by the Environmental Protection Administration Office to implement OBD (standard GB18352[8]) by July 1, 2008.[9] Some regional exemptions may apply.
  • 2010: HDOBD (heavy duty) specification is made mandatory for selected commercial (non-passenger car) engines sold in the United States.

Subaru introduced it to Europe with MY01 the introduction of Newage Impreza (Hence the change in ECU's from Jecs to Denso) The last two years of SF Foresters production had to change to this as well (Individual plug coil packs was a clear indicator of the change)
It was an American forum right enough , and that bit u highlighted says "98/69" but my brain seen 98/99
Old 19 June 2016, 11:24 PM
class2instructor
Scooby Newbie

Default sorry i was doing that thing people do....

Come on Don, the truth sucks I wanted to hear good
news.....hahhhahh! Seriously thanks tho i have many more qiestions most about fuel....where I am 91 is the best i can get any tuning options? is it nessasary?