Notices

Aquamist

Search this Thread

Old 10 June 2002, 08:32 PM
rayman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone used the Aquamist water injection system on there scooby ?

Any Advantages? Power Gains ?

Old 10 June 2002, 09:33 PM
rayman
Scooby Regular

bttt
Old 10 June 2002, 10:31 PM
planky
Scooby Regular

Smile

I was going to put a post about Aquamist you beat me to it,same here i would like to know to.
btw i was reading about Aquamist,it says best to use as a detonation deterrent.so i like to KNOW if theres any power gains using it????
Old 10 June 2002, 10:38 PM
Sheepsplitter
Scooby Regular

I have it on my STI4.
I didn't have it fitted for power improvements, rather for reliability and protection, which I believe it does well (as long as you don't let the water run low).
It is a 'detonation deterrent' and if you are tuning for high BHP it's nice to play safe, especially since detonation may not be detected on a dyno or in cool conditions, but may occur in warmer weather or on a track.

Not much I can say about it really, except I have 348BHP and so far the engine has held together (now done 63K).

BTW: I also have an additional Oil Cooler fitted, once again for safety.
Old 11 June 2002, 12:24 AM
rayman
Scooby Regular

sheepspliter did you motice any gains with just the aquamist fitted ? ie midrange...

Old 11 June 2002, 02:21 AM
RT
Scooby Regular

I believe the benefits of water injection is that it allows you to run higher boost/more aggresive mapping. If you use it without custom engine management (or at least an EBC), then you're likely to see no gains or even power loss.

The higher humidity cools the charge and postpones det.

Old 11 June 2002, 07:54 AM
Sheepsplitter
Scooby Regular

Performance felt slightly up, and I don't notice the 'hot day lethargy' like I used to, presumably because the intake is chargecooled by the Aquamist.

Trending Topics

Old 11 June 2002, 09:59 AM
RT
Scooby Regular

Exactly which model did you get, and how did you map it?

tks.
Old 11 June 2002, 10:07 AM
Sheepsplitter
Scooby Regular

Aquamist System 1
It was mapped by Power Engineering, along with all the other modifications on the car.
I believe the Water Injection kicks in when a certain amount of boost is registered (although not sure how much). It only seems to use water when you use high revs, i.e on a motorway on a cruising throttle it wouldn't be used.

Old 12 June 2002, 12:21 AM
Trout...
Scooby Regular

Talking

The Aquamist S1 is not mappable - it merely has a simple boost switch and PE generally use a 0.4mm jet which gives adequate protection for road turbo cars.

Water Injection will only enable increased power with a mappable or real time closed loop ECU.

For example with a real-time ECU running at the det line - a WI car will tend to retard the ignition less on a hot day/track day than a non-WI car.

Or with a mappable ECU you can run much aggressive advance map. At the level of water that a Subaru would use - say with a 0.4mm jet - you will lose about 6-10bhp if the only change was WI. However with a mappable ECU the increased advance - I got up to 4deg at peak power - 2 deg peak torque - which will give you the extra power that you are looking for. More than enough to compensate for the water power loss.

Personally I use a Aquamist S2 system which is mappable in up to three dimensions. The system uses engine speed and MAP (boost), MAF (air flow), TPS (throttle) or other input, or combination of inputs as the other axis.

My car is done simply - engine speed v boost - no water below 0.9bar - increasing water between 0.9 and 1.5bar - peak water flow (20% water) at peak torque - reducing to peak power point (10%).

Overall a good investment - especially on a hot track - the car retains much more power against non-wi cars with standard ECUs which are retarding their nuts off - significantly reducing power.

Trout
Old 12 June 2002, 12:30 AM
rayman
Scooby Regular

Trout I have PPP Ecu running about 1.2 Bar, is the Aquamist 2 system worth considering ?

Old 12 June 2002, 12:40 AM
Trout...
Scooby Regular

Red face

If you are only running on the road - and never go on track - then if I am honest probably not.

If you were running 1.3bar or over - or doing a lot of track work I would say probably yes.

Trout
Old 12 June 2002, 02:06 AM
RT
Scooby Regular

Tks Trout!

My next question is: If I'm running the std ECU on a MY01 JDM STI RA, this WI is of benefit to me right? I have concluded before that my car does indeed run very close to det. Also with traffic on hotter days in the tropics, the charge temps do run highish.

If the std ECU does run closed loop by listening to the OEM knock sensor, then the fact that the WI postpones the onset of det will allow the car to run less retard on hot days. This sounds like a good thing, and the power should increase as a by-product.

Agree?
Old 12 June 2002, 09:07 PM
Trout...
Scooby Regular

RT,

I don't know of any experiences regarding the MY01 ECU and water injection - however it does have real time knock control and I can only agree with your hypothesis.

I think it has got to be worth trying.

Trout