Notices

10W60 vs 5W30 (as per manual) Oil ?

Old 04 April 2016, 11:06 PM
  #1  
scoober101
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
 
scoober101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 478
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 10W60 vs 5W30 (as per manual) Oil ?

I see places like RCM sell oil for WRX/STI Impreza's like Castrol Edge that are 10W60.

The car manual says 5W30 is recommended.

Anyone shed any light on which to use and why 10W60 would be better?

Thanking you!
scoober101 is offline  
Old 04 April 2016, 11:22 PM
  #2  
scoobiepaul
Scooby Regular
 
scoobiepaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 662
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

No expert but think 10/60 oil is more suited to high power cars that are used on track days
scoobiepaul is offline  
Old 05 April 2016, 06:54 AM
  #3  
**jay**
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
**jay**'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: scotland
Posts: 2,330
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I would not use any of they oils ,10w40 for standard or a 10w50 for one thats running a bit more boost than standard or does track days.
**jay** is offline  
Old 05 April 2016, 08:45 AM
  #4  
oilman
Sponsor
iTrader: (9)
 
oilman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: South West
Posts: 3,680
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Hi

Unfortunately there are some people that are a bit old fashioned with oil recommendations, they suggest the thickest thing, thinking it protects more. Years ago, you needed thick oils in performance cars as the oils were rubbish, you'd put in a 20w-50 and it would end up a 20w-40 or 20w-30 quite quickly, so it wasn't practical to use a thinner grade. Also, older engines have larger tolerances, so larger gaps for the oil to flow around.

Modern oils are better than the old mineral oils, so if you put in a 5w-30, it's likely to come out as a 5w-30. Also, modern engines are tighter, so thick oils do not flow well around them and it's the flow that helps to protect.

As your handbook says 5w-30, that's a sensible place to start, there are guys on here that have done well over 100k on 5w-30. If lightly modified, go for a 5w-40, or heavily modified use a 10w-50.

Cheers

Tim
oilman is online now  
Old 05 April 2016, 09:18 AM
  #5  
SubieJack
Scooby Regular
 
SubieJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 280
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I use Millers 10w-50 with prodrive and a map at 330bhp. I daily it and boost it most days, does this seem the most suitable?
SubieJack is offline  
Old 05 April 2016, 10:13 AM
  #6  
oilman
Sponsor
iTrader: (9)
 
oilman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: South West
Posts: 3,680
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Hi

If it goes on track as well as the road, then that is ideal. If it's just road use, I'd go for a good 5w-40 next time.

Cheers

Tim
oilman is online now  
Old 05 April 2016, 12:14 PM
  #7  
SubieJack
Scooby Regular
 
SubieJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 280
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I was going to use 5w-40 for winter and 10w-50 for summer, as the grades to temp of those seasons make sense.
SubieJack is offline  
Old 05 April 2016, 12:46 PM
  #8  
oilman
Sponsor
iTrader: (9)
 
oilman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: South West
Posts: 3,680
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Hi

I would just stick with 5w-40 all year round, unless it gets track use in the summer.

Cheers

Tim
oilman is online now  
Old 05 April 2016, 12:48 PM
  #9  
kshoughton
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (4)
 
kshoughton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Fareham, Hampshire
Posts: 95
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by oilman View Post
Hi

Unfortunately there are some people that are a bit old fashioned with oil recommendations, they suggest the thickest thing, thinking it protects more. Years ago, you needed thick oils in performance cars as the oils were rubbish, you'd put in a 20w-50 and it would end up a 20w-40 or 20w-30 quite quickly, so it wasn't practical to use a thinner grade. Also, older engines have larger tolerances, so larger gaps for the oil to flow around.

Modern oils are better than the old mineral oils, so if you put in a 5w-30, it's likely to come out as a 5w-30. Also, modern engines are tighter, so thick oils do not flow well around them and it's the flow that helps to protect.

As your handbook says 5w-30, that's a sensible place to start, there are guys on here that have done well over 100k on 5w-30. If lightly modified, go for a 5w-40, or heavily modified use a 10w-50.

Cheers

Tim
I was recommended Millers Nanodrive 10w60 by opieoils over the phone. I have a 411hp jdm bugeye STI, forged rods and pistons, so should I really be using 10w50?

Last edited by kshoughton; 05 April 2016 at 12:51 PM.
kshoughton is offline  
Old 05 April 2016, 12:56 PM
  #10  
oilman
Sponsor
iTrader: (9)
 
oilman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: South West
Posts: 3,680
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Hi

Who was it that recommended it?

Sometimes we get someone who says 'I want a 10w-60 for my Impreza' and some of the guys that don't do recommendations sell it. If it was me ( I take most of the calls about oils) I either didn't know it was for an Impreza or there was a reason for using it (like fuel dilution). Unless your engine was either suffering from fuel dilution or high oil consumption, I would have recommended a 10w-50 in it.

Cheers

Tim
oilman is online now  
Old 05 April 2016, 01:02 PM
  #11  
kshoughton
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (4)
 
kshoughton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Fareham, Hampshire
Posts: 95
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by oilman View Post
Hi

Who was it that recommended it?

Sometimes we get someone who says 'I want a 10w-60 for my Impreza' and some of the guys that don't do recommendations sell it. If it was me ( I take most of the calls about oils) I either didn't know it was for an Impreza or there was a reason for using it (like fuel dilution). Unless your engine was either suffering from fuel dilution or high oil consumption, I would have recommended a 10w-50 in it.

Cheers

Tim
It was a freshly built engine. we were recommended and sold 10w40 mineral for running in and a few cans of 10w60, both millers. I don't know who it was we spoke to as it was back in early January. I have 2 more cans of 10w60 left and i'm literally in the middle of changing my sump to a twinscroll one, so ideal time to change oil grades. Am I not safe using the remaining 10w60?

Last edited by kshoughton; 05 April 2016 at 01:49 PM.
kshoughton is offline  
Old 05 April 2016, 01:06 PM
  #12  
oilman
Sponsor
iTrader: (9)
 
oilman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: South West
Posts: 3,680
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Hi

I have no idea who recommended a 10w-60, or why they would have done. 10w-40 Millers CRO is ideal for the running in.

It's not that the 10w-60 is unsafe in yours, but a 10w-50 is better. If you let me have the order details, I'll get the two cans of 10w-60 swapped for the 10w-50.

Cheers

Tim
oilman is online now  
Old 05 April 2016, 01:53 PM
  #13  
kshoughton
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (4)
 
kshoughton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Fareham, Hampshire
Posts: 95
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by oilman View Post
Hi

I have no idea who recommended a 10w-60, or why they would have done. 10w-40 Millers CRO is ideal for the running in.

It's not that the 10w-60 is unsafe in yours, but a 10w-50 is better. If you let me have the order details, I'll get the two cans of 10w-60 swapped for the 10w-50.

Cheers

Tim
Nice one. I'll dig out my details and give you guys a ring at some point.
kshoughton is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
DD24
Wanted
9
01 May 2016 09:25 PM
Ryanw1989
Engine Management and ECU Remapping
12
25 March 2016 01:32 PM
scoobyjoe1988
ScoobyNet General
2
13 March 2016 11:11 PM
jaygsi
General Technical
0
07 March 2016 12:26 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 10W60 vs 5W30 (as per manual) Oil ?


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.