Leaking HKS under mid-load

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2015, 10:49 PM
gaborpapp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking HKS under mid-load

Hello,

I got an HKS SSQV 4 i believe (i need to check). It's an original one no doubt. Had it now for an year no problems even when running at 1.6 bar boost.

I had car sitting for 2 weeks and now the BOV starts leaking when you are sort of half-way down with your foot.

It doesn't leak at full throttle nor at low throttle / idle. Any ideas why and how to fix it?

I tried spraying some WD-40 in there it went away for few days then back again same story.

Will come back tomorrow hopefully with a video about the sound it makes.
Old 16 March 2015, 12:44 AM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Might be dried up seals or a bit of dirt stopping it sealing properly. You may need to strip is down (carefully) and clean it and then lube the rubber seals with silicon oil. Should seal fine then. My version 2 has been fine for eight years but i did take it apart after 7 and clean it up and oil it. Came up good as new whereas the chinese copies are usually full of rust and rotted seals.

Also the valve works by staying closed unless there is a variation between the pressure in the IC and the Inlet manifold. It there is a blockage in one of them then the pressure won't equalize and you will get a leak.

Don't use WD40. It is not an oil and it is not rubber seal/plastic friendly. It will do more harm then good. WD40 is a water dispersal spray (WD) nothing more.
Old 16 March 2015, 11:01 PM
gaborpapp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there. I tried filming it today - It didn't wanna do it anymore.

What do you mean with silicon oil? Is there anything around the house or halfords stuff?

I was thinking to take it apart to look at the spring and the insert in case it's bent/chipped etc. Probably will do this in the weekend.
Old 17 March 2015, 01:27 AM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gaborpapp
Hi there. I tried filming it today - It didn't wanna do it anymore.

What do you mean with silicon oil? Is there anything around the house or halfords stuff?

I was thinking to take it apart to look at the spring and the insert in case it's bent/chipped etc. Probably will do this in the weekend.
Just open it carefully as it's a very intricate system of valves. I use this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ABBEY-SILI...item19fc09968a

on rubber seals. It doesn't have to be that but a light silicone oil works well and actually causes o-rings to expand a tiny bit meaning a better seal for older ones that may have shrunk.