Head gasket change what's involved

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2015, 09:27 PM
craighhirst
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head gasket change what's involved

Hi Folks

I have a 2004 wrx which in the past couple of years has been treated to a bottom end rebuild by Richard Henry Autos in Bradford. Also new radiator, brake set up, adjustable suspension, complete exhaust system, drop links and anti-lift kit carried out by myself. In nov 2014 it had fuel pump, injectors, turbo upgrade carried out again by Richard Henry Autos and a remap.
Since the remap it has started dumping coolant into the over flow reservoir when in boost.
I've been told that it's the head gasket that will need changing along with putting on uprated bolts as this is a common problem because of the age and upgrades.
I have a decent garage with a pit and a good selection of tools, access to another car for 2 weeks.

How difficult a task is changing this myself going to be ?

Is there any guides out there on how to go about doing the work ?

Or do I just pay £800 to £1000 to a professional to do the job ?

Your opinion will be appreciated and if I go ahead with this project I will post my progress and pictures for future reference.

Cheers Craig
Old 11 March 2015, 09:38 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Engine out and heads off, refaced and new top end gasket and bolt set.
Old 11 March 2015, 09:48 PM
craighhirst
Scooby Newbie

Thanks jay that's what the engine builder said. Have you had this work done to yours ? If so did you do the work yourself or pay to get it done ?
Old 11 March 2015, 09:50 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Will need a full rebuild or you risk the crank bearings failing very soon after
Old 11 March 2015, 10:27 PM
craighhirst
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Tidgy
She had a bottom end rebuild bearings ect and a sti crank 2 years ago.

Last edited by craighhirst; 11 March 2015 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Predictive text error
Old 11 March 2015, 10:29 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by craighhirst
Thanks Tidgy
She had a bottom end rebuild bearing sect and a sti crank 2 years ago.
Makes no difference, will still need a full rebuild
Old 11 March 2015, 10:32 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

As above mate, unfortunately a lot of bottom ends tend to go after a top end rebuild regardless if its been done in the past, to be safe it be best to get the full lot freshened up or risk the crank bearings failing in a short space of time.
Old 11 March 2015, 10:40 PM
craighhirst
Scooby Newbie

Thanks guys
Since the engine is going to have to come out is it worthwhile upgrading anything else at the same time ?
Old 11 March 2015, 10:41 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by craighhirst
Thanks guys
Since the engine is going to have to come out is it worthwhile upgrading anything else at the same time ?
Maybe clutch at the same time.
Old 11 March 2015, 10:43 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep I'd at least have it inspected and the bearings replaced, otherwise it'll cost you the crank too and they are £400 ish, for the sake of an extra £200 for the bearings it's worth doing now.

P.S It's easy, don't believe the hype.
Old 11 March 2015, 10:58 PM
RedScoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
Will need a full rebuild or you risk the crank bearings failing very soon after
Meh. Depends under what conditions the failure was discovered. I know that it's a common opinion on here, but I've had two head gasket failures over 10 years (and 180k miles) and never had a new bottom end...
Blanket rules are fine, but if a bottom end doesn't need attention - don't touch it.
It's great to know the peculiarities of the flat four, and I appreciate that the layout and workings are susceptible to contamination and starvation of the journals under certain conditions, but changing the big ends just because you've had a head gasket failure is unnecessary, unless you're sure of contamination or stress.
Old 11 March 2015, 11:36 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no evidence to suggest bottom WILL fail after a head gasket change, its all down to how old they are/history and whether or not they have been contaminated with water. they only tend to fail after a rebuild on older cars due to the fact that when they are changed, its enough to finish off already tired 15+ year old bearings.
Old 11 March 2015, 11:52 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Post 31.

https://www.scoobynet.com/1021136-fo...ld-cost-2.html
Old 12 March 2015, 09:24 AM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

Seen some of these type of snippets on you tube. Can't say if it would work but just thought I'd link it.

Hope the link works.
Old 12 March 2015, 09:36 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by dj219957
no evidence to suggest bottom WILL fail after a head gasket change, its all down to how old they are/history and whether or not they have been contaminated with water. they only tend to fail after a rebuild on older cars due to the fact that when they are changed, its enough to finish off already tired 15+ year old bearings.
Only experience will tell you, tend to find the companies that recomend it have seen hundreds of them and had to rebuild them.

Here's a story for you, slightly different situation but you'll get the relevance.

My dad has an sti7, one day it started running rough, engine shaking at idle and hunting. It got AA'd up to scoobyclinic for diagnosis. Compression test showed 2 normal cylinders, 1 20% lower and then another with zero pressure. That cylinder was leaking so badly it couldn't even get the whistle to sound when they tried it.

Engine was taken out and stripped down, turned out to be the valves, one had a massive chunk out of it and cracked, another one was burnt around the edges, so totaly fooked.

Heads needed rebuilding, pistons were fine and unmarked, but he was advised by clinic to get the bottom end looked at/refreshed while it was out. There were no signs of anything being wrong with the bottom end but he took the advice and had a full crank up rebuild. Bear in mind this would add to the cost of the rebuild.

Turned out they bang on, when they took the bearings out sure enough they had wear and damage on them, one of the oil galleries was breaking up.

Its back up and running again now and he's put 20k on the new one so were going back a few years, but had he not had the bottom end done it would have ended up being another full strip and rebuild.
Old 12 March 2015, 10:23 AM
craighhirst
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for all the advice guys. I enjoy working on my car however due to my lack of spare time and what's involved in completing the job, I think the way forward for me is to take it to Richard Henry autos in Bradford and get them to do the work.
Old 12 March 2015, 10:47 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by daddyscoob
Seen some of these type of snippets on you tube. Can't say if it would work but just thought I'd link it.

How to change a Subaru Head Gasket without removing the engine - YouTube

Hope the link works.
I don't get why someone would even bother to not remove the engine as it's so much easier to work on once it's out, I have only done it twice and I can get it out in 2hrs taking my time, I'd imagine if I was doing it day in day out in a garage with all the facilities I could probably do it in 40 mins to 1 hr, rusty bolts and problems aside.