2.1 stroker heads

Search this Thread

Old 28 December 2014, 11:45 AM
Adam93
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.1 stroker heads

hope everyone has had a good Christmas.

Just looking for a bit of advice I have a 1999 uk turbo that I have removed the engine and am going to be building a 2.1 stroker I already have a closed deck block, rods, pistons, crank etc I am looking at a build that's capable of 500bhp all though I won't be running that much power.

My question is will my heads be okay to use obviously I will change valves etc and have Them ported and polished a few people have said they will be okay. But just looking for some advice from people that have built strokers and have a bit more knowledge than I.

Thanks Adam
Old 28 December 2014, 12:20 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Adam93
hope everyone has had a good Christmas.

Just looking for a bit of advice I have a 1999 uk turbo that I have removed the engine and am going to be building a 2.1 stroker I already have a closed deck block, rods, pistons, crank etc I am looking at a build that's capable of 500bhp all though I won't be running that much power.

My question is will my heads be okay to use obviously I will change valves etc and have Them ported and polished a few people have said they will be okay. But just looking for some advice from people that have built strokers and have a bit more knowledge than I.

Thanks Adam
Might be cheaper to buy some freshened STI heads.
Old 28 December 2014, 01:20 PM
Andyrad
Scooby Regular

100% try get your version STI heads rather than rebuild your uks, but I found AVCS heads in classic (if you are running an aftermarket ECU that is) is an absolutely cracking combo with a stroker classic. All depends on budget. Also six speed conversion in a classic is great too
Old 28 December 2014, 09:10 PM
Adam93
Scooby Newbie

Okay cheers for the advice are try get hold of some avcs heads.

And yeah 6 speed conversion is defiantly going to be done!
Old 31 December 2014, 11:59 AM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Hi Adam.
AVCS heads would be nice, although bear in mind that they have a tendency to crack and can be hard to find in perfect condition. so far we haven't seen any actual failures, but they can look ugly to an engineer! You also would need all the parts to go with it, which include the wiring adapters and after market management. The manifold needs raising by 20mm to clear the solenoids. You'll soon see what I mean when you try this!
Don't forget you'll also need the front pullies and belt covers.
V5/V6 Sti heads would be the easy choice.
Old 31 December 2014, 12:07 PM
96sti
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Standard heads will handle 500 anyway
Old 31 December 2014, 12:24 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery
Hi Adam.
AVCS heads would be nice, although bear in mind that they have a tendency to crack and can be hard to find in perfect condition. so far we haven't seen any actual failures, but they can look ugly to an engineer! You also would need all the parts to go with it, which include the wiring adapters and after market management. The manifold needs raising by 20mm to clear the solenoids. You'll soon see what I mean when you try this!
Don't forget you'll also need the front pullies and belt covers.
V5/V6 Sti heads would be the easy choice.
Does raising the manifold that much have any negative effects on injector spray, I've just bought some 11mm spacers and was hoping that'd be enough.
Old 02 January 2015, 12:13 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Originally Posted by cookstar
Does raising the manifold that much have any negative effects on injector spray, I've just bought some 11mm spacers and was hoping that'd be enough.
We don't think so. It's about making room, nothing else, we've done it a couple of times to sort out specifics.