Notices

Defi genome sender installation

Search this Thread

Old 30 November 2014, 07:16 PM
Willowsdad
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Defi genome sender installation

Got the interior set up of my genome gauges sorted, now I'm getting prepared for the sender installation under the bonnet.
Boost - seems straight forward enough.
Oil pressure - simply screw in under the alternator.
Oil temp - I'm looking to use the plug under the intercooler, will I need an adapter?
Water temp - seems like I'm going to need to cut a T into the radiator top hose. Where's the best place to get one of these?
Any tips or advice welcome.
Old 30 November 2014, 08:25 PM
Stubarusti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi you can get all parts required from demon tweets [Home > Motorsport > Gauges & Instrumentation > Gauge Pipes & Adaptors] or similar stockists remember if you don't use a t piece for oil pressure the oil light will be constantly on. Sorry I can't remember thread sizes but you will also need an adapter for temp sensor as well as the bung under the intercooler is bigger than the sensor.
Old 30 November 2014, 08:47 PM
Willowsdad
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that. I didn't realise I'd get a light on. I'll have a look at the adapters then.
Old 30 November 2014, 09:44 PM
Willowsdad
Scooby Regular

Does anybody know what size adapters I'm going to need? And is it possible to take a t-piece from under the intercooler for oil pressure and temperature? I think the top rad hose is 1.5" internal diameter so around a 40mm fitting should be ok, but I'm struggling to find the size of the adapter for the oil plug under the intercooler.
Old 01 December 2014, 01:46 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

OK, first off, you DON'T get a light if you use the tappings near the alternator for oil pressure and leave the OE switch out. You get no light whatsoever....but remember to tape up the original lead, as if it earths, you WILL get a light

Take the readings from where you originally said.

The adaptor is here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-8NPT-OIL...item20e314d736

Or here if you want the T-piece and keep the OE o/p switch: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oil-Temp-O...item418a4ddcf6

The top hose may be model specific, or age specific. Mine was 38mm i/d, classic 98 UK car.
I would STRONGLY suggest a new top hose...if it's any way old, the manipulation of removal, replacement cutting causes it to split and p*ss the coolant out...how do I know this?

On mine, I slightly lengthened the original wire to the car's coolant temp sender and removed that one to the new fitting in the top hose, the new Defi sender went in it's original place. To start with the oe gauge was just dead, but I couldn't get used to it.

When buying the top hose connector, DO get one with an earthing point, usually a screw or bolt. Mine came without and I had to make one.

HTH, Jeff.
Old 01 December 2014, 04:11 PM
Willowsdad
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice. Went ebay shopping last night and I think I got everything. My top hose is in pretty good shape, but if it does split then it's a good excuse to go silicone.
Old 02 December 2014, 01:42 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Mine looked fine from the outside when I did the job, and tbh, who checks the INSIDE?

Then, driving through twon, I get clouds of what could have been white smoke, but turned out to be steam.

A split in the top hose was squirting water under pressure onto the hot block, which instantly vapourised it......less than 50 ml water lost in total, but fekkin clouds of steam

Turn the engine off, though, and it stopped, (No pressure) so it was hard to trace...
Old 07 December 2014, 11:40 AM
Willowsdad
Scooby Regular

Installed the oil pressure this morning, but can't get the gallery plug out above cylinder 3 for the oil temp. Is my only other option to use a sandwich plate?
Old 07 December 2014, 02:29 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a blanking plug on the back of the Left Hand cylinder head (passenger side)near the top which is very easy to get to - you can use that for oil temp sender.

Mick
Old 07 December 2014, 02:59 PM
Willowsdad
Scooby Regular

I think that's the plug I mean. It's got an 8mm Allen key hole in it. I don't want to have to butcher it getting it out.
Old 07 December 2014, 03:13 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

that plug is a bitch to get out, DONT use cheap tools as you will round it off and never remove the bung.
sandwich plate is the pikey method, the correct position to get an accurate reading is the cylinder three bung.
Old 07 December 2014, 03:51 PM
Willowsdad
Scooby Regular

Looks like I'll have to persevere. My 8mm Allen key fits perfect but hasn't got the leverage, and my 8mm Allen bit for my ratchet is too loose! Might have to devise my own tool.
Old 07 December 2014, 03:53 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Originally Posted by Willowsdad
Looks like I'll have to persevere. My 8mm Allen key fits perfect but hasn't got the leverage, and my 8mm Allen bit for my ratchet is too loose! Might have to devise my own tool.
if you havent got the correct tools take it to a garage, for a couple of quid they will remove it.
worth it as the sandwich plate is not the correct method as this just measure oil temperature in the sump and not in the top of the engine.
Old 07 December 2014, 04:24 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

As above. Mine was done with a brand new LONG 8mm allen key, with a very large spanner hooked over it for leverage.

It went with such a bang that I thought I'd broken the Allen key....
Old 07 December 2014, 04:39 PM
Willowsdad
Scooby Regular

My Allen key is perfect so maybe I'll invest in a bigger spanner for leverage. Is it a must to remove the top mount? As it seems quite accessible from the top.
Old 08 December 2014, 01:32 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

No, so long as the Allen Key shaft remains vertical.

You will probably struggle to get the adaptor and sender in without though.