Notices

Jacking + axle stand questions ?

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2014, 11:08 PM
ZaKv1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jacking + axle stand questions ?

Hello all

The two "holes" on each side of the car under the sideskirt are a NO GO ZONE so need some advice please

Is it safe to jack the car up from the diff ?

Is it safe to jack the car up from the front tow hook thing ?

Also where can I put axle stands?
(besides the two "holes" on each side of the car under the sideskirts)

Appreciate any help thanks
Old 29 November 2014, 11:11 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

I usually jack mine up on the chassis itself with rubber pads on the trolley jack and put axle stands on anything that doesn't move with the suspension, you'll have to judge it yourself really.
Old 29 November 2014, 11:13 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't jack up using the tow hook, it'll probably break off. Also, you need to pad the jack if you intend to lift it by the diff. Wouldn't do it myself though.
Old 29 November 2014, 11:24 PM
abre
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

On mine the manual tells you to use the rear diff & the front crossmember when using a trolley jack.

I've seen pictures on here of the rear diff being used on many models... & I'd assume the same probably applied for the front crossmember.
Old 30 November 2014, 01:58 AM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by abre
On mine the manual tells you to use the rear diff & the front crossmember when using a trolley jack. I've seen pictures on here of the rear diff being used on many models... & I'd assume the same probably applied for the front crossmember.
Fair enough! I was a bit cautious of the diff myself. Suppose there's no real reason to be.
Old 30 November 2014, 07:55 AM
nikon-man
Scooby Regular

what sort of axle stands do people use as there are the ones with a pin that holds the stand at the desired height or some now use ratchets

would be interesting to know as I need to get some new ones
Old 30 November 2014, 09:03 AM
SAM-UK300
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use these... very strong and sturdy, always feel safe under the car. oh and yeah I put them on the chassis rails.

Draper 64431 2-Tonne Ratchet-Style Axle Stands (Pack of 2): Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools Draper 64431 2-Tonne Ratchet-Style Axle Stands (Pack of 2): Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools
Old 30 November 2014, 10:17 AM
ZaKv1
Scooby Regular

so the rear diff & the front crossmember are ok to jackup..

and the chassis rails is ok for the axle stands

anymore Axle stand points ?

thanks for the help everyone
Old 30 November 2014, 12:05 PM
DIPSY
Scooby Regular

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...XrvZ7ahOFBE2Og .I use the under side of this subframe to jack up front that's if you have one and place axle stands under .The metal has not deformed or bent with jacking up of axle stands underneath
Rear wise under diff to jack up .Axle stands under the plates that hold diff support bars to body inside of sill the metal has not deformed or bent with a axle stand sitting under there or under trailing link close to body fixing that go from body to axle hub.

If what I did in this post to get my car of the ground did not work or was not health and safety wise .I would be not going under to do oil changes ,under seal etc .

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...L2sC29PX5BNcX0 .This is were I place axle stands or what I mention above under trailing arm close to bush that is fixed to body .

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...UVIn77GIVZndme .I go further forward for axle stand and jacking up
https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...ing-point.html .Look at post six .I copied and pasted this thread I put up and links still work on it

Last edited by DIPSY; 30 November 2014 at 06:13 PM.
Old 30 November 2014, 04:54 PM
ZaKv1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DIPSY
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...XrvZ7ahOFBE2Og .I use the under side of this subframe to jack up front that's if you have one and place axle stands under .The metal has not deformed or bent with jacking up of axle stands underneath
Rear wise under diff to jack up .Axle stands under the plates that hold diff support bars to body inside of sill the metal has not deformed or bent with a axle stand sitting under there or under trailing link close to body fixing that go from body to axle hub.

If what I did in this post to get my car of the ground did not work or was not health and safety wise .I would be not going under to do oil changes ,under seal etc .

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...L2sC29PX5BNcX0 .This is were I place axle stands or what I mention above under trailing arm close to bush that is fixed to body .

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...UVIn77GIVZndme .I go further forward for axle stand and jacking up

Thanks for the reply.
the links don't work ..
Old 01 December 2014, 07:07 PM
Rob669
Scooby Regular

Tip - to get at the front jacking point, drive your front wheels onto some slabs or pieces of wood to raise it high enough to get a jack underneath. The other posts have told you the correct jacking points, e.g. diff and the plate in the centre on the front etc.
Old 03 December 2014, 09:25 AM
ZaKv1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rob669
Tip - to get at the front jacking point, drive your front wheels onto some slabs or pieces of wood to raise it high enough to get a jack underneath. The other posts have told you the correct jacking points, e.g. diff and the plate in the centre on the front etc.

Thanks for the input