Notices

Waxoyl for Crossmember?

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2014, 06:55 PM
Sub-Subaru
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waxoyl for Crossmember?

I have a 2004 WRX and the front crossmember that holds the undertray on was starting to get rusty so I took it all off and blasted it, painted it, and then thought that I would lightly waxoil the inside so that it hopefully lasts a few years.

I only intended to lightly waxoil it but today was the first time I've tried using the pressure can waxoil kit and it didn't go well. The stuff really came out thick and it was a nightmare. I have air gunned it around and managed to get some of it out as it was ridiculously full of waxoil.

I then started to get concerned and wondered if I should not have been putting waxoil in the crossmember due to the heat and proximity to the engine. Is this an issue?

If it is even a small risk of fire I may have to spray inside with white spirit and try and remove as much of the waxoil as I can but to be honest it has probably started to harden now and will be difficult to get out from inside.
Old 29 November 2014, 07:13 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

For future reference use Dinitrol or Bilt Hamber cavity wax aerosols with their
long lance tube thing. Much better then waxoyl and it sprays 100% evenly with a lot less mess and no clumping.
Old 29 November 2014, 08:56 PM
TIZERBOY
Scooby Regular

you cant waxoil or underseal this time of the year to much damp in there you will seal the damp in mate...
Old 29 November 2014, 10:02 PM
aberscoob
Scooby Newbie

Plus, as you've discovered the wax solidifies too quickly and it's hard to get it through the tube - its a warm summer (or warm garage) job really!

Been spraying ACF-50 under the car this afternoon myself - works pretty well with a spray gun + compressor even in the cold.
Old 30 November 2014, 02:14 AM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

do it in summer-time --- or put it in a bucket of warm water before using..
Old 30 November 2014, 02:59 AM
Sub-Subaru
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies. I meant to do it early in the year but didn't. I have had the crossmember in the house before waxoiling so shouldn't be too damp.

I also warmed the waxoil up for about an hour on an aga and in a bucket of hot water. I might buy the dinitrol next time as you say or use my compressor rather.

Does anyone have any suggestion on the risk of the crossmember being waxoiled with the engine heat etc?