Notices

help or advice swapping turbo!!

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2014, 05:19 PM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default help or advice swapping turbo!!

Having a complete nightmare getting the old turbo off.. At the moment all exhaust bolts off, down pipe removed and turbo is loose.
Now having issues getting to the oil return off. Pretty sure that is only thing holding it on. Any pearls of wisdom or if anyone in Milton Keynes area is free to lend a bit of time Sunday? I can provide all the tea and biscuits you can eat lol.
Old 29 November 2014, 05:48 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Once all of the uppipe bolts and down pipe bolts are off the only things to undo are the inlet pipe, vacuum lines, coolant lines, oil feed and oil return. The oil return will just pull off.

Some of the studs mount the turbo to two brackets which attach to the engine. Make sure they are undone turbo end.
Old 29 November 2014, 06:13 PM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

Cheers FMJ. Given up now as getting miffed and being dark does not help.
I have taken the coolant lines off and undone the inlet pipe but still in place. Am I best to unbolt the inlet pipe from manifold to give me a bit more movement? Thanks.
Old 29 November 2014, 09:58 PM
leecalcars
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Changed 3 tdo4's in less than 2 weeks as the oil feed pipe had a gauze in it , subaru recalled them a whole back anyway they are a pain to remove keep at it it will come but get as much space as you can inrwrcooler needs to come off if you have a top mount remember the water feed underneath the turbo disconnect the oil feed from top of turbo.

There is also a bracket that holds it in place think it has 2 bolts remove these and just persevere she will come off eventually gods luck mate.
Old 29 November 2014, 11:25 PM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

Was going to ask about the oil feed pipe. Its a solid pipe that seems to go directly in the engine, cannot see any connection that end. And the Gauss you speak of? Where is that located? Will I need to remove that for fitting a bigger turbo? Have a VF28 going on.
Any way I can disconnect oil feed from engine? I do not get much space when detached from the turbo itself.
Old 30 November 2014, 12:12 AM
leecalcars
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The gauze is inside the banjo bolt that attaches the oil feed pipe to the side of the block !! If it's in there take it out as these get clogged up and cause oil starvation to the turbo which will all know is fatal !!
Old 30 November 2014, 09:51 AM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

Ahh I see. Can I get to that when I have the turbo off? Why couldn't they put it in the banjo bolt on the turbo itself!! Lol

I bought a kinugawa TD05 installation kit and that has a banjo bolt in it. Looks like it has a larger hole than the one that came with the VF28. Shall I use the kinugawa one instead? Can more oil flow be a bad thing?