Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

Oil change ?

Search this Thread

Old 15 November 2011, 06:25 PM
Darc174
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil change ?

I'm going to be doing a Oil change on my car this weekend I have done a few on other cars but heard story's on should I disconnect the "crank sensor " and crank till the oil light goes out.

Or just start it?

Anyone have any experience in this

Thanks

Darcy
Old 15 November 2011, 06:32 PM
classicgc8
Scooby Regular

i always disconnect the crank sensor and completely fill the new oil filter before fitting it on,crank the engine in 20 sec bursts to avoid overheating the starter ,prevention is better than cure in my opinion.
Old 15 November 2011, 06:43 PM
djandyg
Scooby Regular

Yea lotsa people say it....personally I dnt see it being that necessary....and it deffo wouldnt happen if u took it to subaru for a service lol...however, it doesnt take 2 secs to disconnect it and crank it over a few times till the oil light goes out so i still do it lol. On my blob it usually throws up a MIL light though as its been disconnected.
Old 15 November 2011, 06:46 PM
Darc174
Scooby Regular

ok. am i right in saying the sensor is under the alternator ?

also does the Engine light go out after a couple of starts?

darc
Old 15 November 2011, 07:07 PM
djandyg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Darc174
ok. am i right in saying the sensor is under the alternator ?

also does the Engine light go out after a couple of starts?

darc
Yes under the alternator mate. dont need to remove anything.

Once its re connected it may go out again on its own after couple of goes. Last time I done it it was there when i started up again so i just cleared the code with a code reader. Leaving the battery disconnected for a while would clear it if all else fails.
Old 15 November 2011, 07:13 PM
Darc174
Scooby Regular

ok kool i run a Power Fc so hope its all good

think im ready to go
Old 15 November 2011, 07:27 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough
Smile

From my thread on Scoobycity :-

In depth (as in it goes on forever ) guide to a DIY Oil Change for a Classic Impreza courtesy of a thread on Surrey Scoobies site.

To those who know the score this isn't intended as an egg sucking exercise but hopefully it will help some of the new guys out. You read an awful lot about dry cranking and I sure it puts some people off, I'd hate to think that the process is skipped due to fear of the unknown, potentially contributing to or directly causing a premature end to an engine.

The term dry cranking simply describes trying to start up the engine with the crank sensor disconnected. The engine will turn over on the starter motor only (as the crank sensor has been unplugged the engine will not fire). The whole point is to distribute the oil and establish a decent pressure before firing the engine.

You will need: -

5 litres (4.5 will be used) of your chosen oil.

A new Subaru manufactured oil filter

A new Subaru sump washer

17mm socket for the sump plug

Flat surface to stand the car on.

1. Warm the engine (to ease the draining process).

2. Pre-fill the new filter with fresh oil. Fill to the very top and keep topping up (it will take 15 minutes or so to fully absorb the oil).

3. Remove the oil filler cap (to allow the oil to drain easily)

4. Remove the under tray.

5. Drain all of the old oil from sump (be careful it will be warm/hot and gushes out so be ready and have a suitable sized (depth & width) container for the oil to drain into). It will take a few minutes to run dry.

6. Remove old filter (you should be able to do this by hand, if not use an oil filter wrench or alternatively stab with a screwdriver for leverage if necessary).

7. Wipe the filter seating & apply a small amount of oil to the face of the new oil seal on the new oil filter and then fit the pre-filled filter (Step 2). Make sure the thread is not crossed and do not over tighten as this can lead to leaks. ¾ to a turn after it begins to feel tight is about right.

8. Wipe the sump plug seating and apply a new washer to sump plug and tighten.

9. Fill the engine with oil to halfway between the two holes on the dipstick (you should allow 5-10 minutes for the oil to settle to get an accurate reading).

10. Refit the oil filler cap.

11. Disconnect (unplug) the crank sensor to stop the engine firing (this prevents both spark and fuel injection to the engine) Location: -

and if you feel the need remove the spark plugs - removal of the spark plugs is generally accepted as the preferred option as it prevents compression meaning that the load on the bearings during the dry cranking process is relieved until oil pressure has been re-established (after dry cranking). It's a bit of a chore. That said it is good to check your plugs every now and than as it can give a heads up of other potential problems.

So you do not have to remove the plugs, disconnecting the crank sensor is sufficient but if you are going to remove the plugs you should disconnect the crank sensor too.

12. Dry crank the engine until the oil pressure light extinguishes (some cars lights don't always extinguish but as long as you crank for the recommended time there should be no issues). This could take 30-80 seconds, don't worry if it takes a little longer. Crank in short bursts to save the battery (wait a few seconds between each crank). You cannot over crank. This action primes the system establishing oil distribution until it meets resistance, creating pressure.

13. Refit spark plugs (only if removed obviously)

14. Refit (plug back in) the crank sensor

15. Start the engine and leave to idle for a minute or two so the oil pressure can stabilise before driving.

16. Check sump plug and filter seal for adequate tightness/leaks

17. Go for a short and slow drive until the engine is at full operating temperature then switch off.

18. Top up the oil to the upper hole on the dipstick but do not overfill. The highest notch on the dipstick is the fully hot/overfill mark. The oil level shouldn't be any higher than the second hole even when hot.

19. Check sump plug and filter seal for adequate tightness/leaks one again.

20. Refit the under tray

Disclaimer: follow at your own risk! I can't guarantee that this guide will stop your engine going pop but a badly carried out oil change can certainly increase the chances. If in any doubt as to your mechanical aptitude - Get professional help!!!

HTH
Old 15 November 2011, 07:35 PM
Darc174
Scooby Regular

top man thanks

time to do these new rocker gaskets and a full winter service then she is back in action

darcy
Old 13 February 2013, 11:36 AM
JusticeEmpire
Scooby Regular

Out of curiousity, is this the same procedure for a 2002 WRX? .....not that I am looking to do my first ever oil change on a scooby
Old 13 February 2013, 12:13 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just change the oil, pre fill the filter and start it.
Only ever prime a new build, so don't worry about it.
Most wont turn over quick enough to extinguish the oil light on cranking alone anyway.
Old 13 February 2013, 01:42 PM
JusticeEmpire
Scooby Regular

Cool, many thanks

Just had a quick look at your site too, very nice
Old 13 February 2013, 10:26 PM
Darc174
Scooby Regular

THREAD REVIVE!!

Lol