Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

LCD OR PLASMA...

Search this Thread

Old 10 June 2009, 11:13 PM
G-Man1982
Scooby Regular

Location: DIESEL POWERED BORAT! SLAMMED, R32 WHEELS, MAPPED, DE-CAT, TINTS. LOVE IT!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LCD OR PLASMA...

HEEEEELLLLPPPPPPPPP MEEEEEE PLEEEASE!!

i currently got a 32" HD Jvc Lcd which basicly im bored of. been looking at getting a new box 42" or bigger.

I thought i wanted another LCD but been looking about and seen for the price of a decent 42" lcd i can get a 50" plasma! is that answering my own question???

whats the difference?? what to avoid, and what i need for the ultimate Xbox360 experience!

i know this a car forum but i guess most of us like a big TV!!

Discuss!
Old 10 June 2009, 11:21 PM
dream machine
Scooby Regular

i would stick to lcd,but thats just my personal opinion,ive got 42" and my boys want there playstation down stairs lol meanie dad eh ????????? lol
Old 11 June 2009, 07:31 AM
Ms Gooner 1
Scooby Regular

I think - and I may be wrong that if you're looking above 42" and you wanna use it for gaming you should go LCD - I think because the picture is sharper. I don't have any computer games on my TV and i don't watch much football (which is another example) and i think we've got plasma and i THINK ours is a 48".

Anyway - whichever you go for - shop around. We bought our eventually (cause i did WEEKS of tooing and froing) from Curry's they had a really good deal etc and i ended up getting the home cinema jobby and they threw in 5 years warrenty for the price of 2!

Then i paid a guy from Canvey to come an install who supplied ALL cables, glass stand and made it look all lovely with no trailing wires and everything is hidden. I love it
Old 11 June 2009, 08:15 AM
pinseeker
sandseeker & waterseeker

For gaming & watching TV I would choose the lcd.
Plasma was always better for black but think the lcd are just as good now with the latest models.

LED TV's are now available & would be worth finding out the pro's & con's of these TV's.
Old 11 June 2009, 08:43 AM
Foofighter
Scooby Regular

LCD deffo mate,plasma suffer with screen burn.Lcd last longer.I have 37 inch lcd,surround sound and ps3 all connected to it via HDMI and it looks and sounds great.OLED are the latest tv's out,but are quite expensive.Hope this helps
Old 11 June 2009, 08:52 AM
e6tony
Scooby Regular

lcd gee,i got 52" wiv consoles etc running wiv hdmi cables and its great,when i bought it i was told plasma screens dont last very long bruv
Old 11 June 2009, 08:54 AM
scooblube
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Foofighter
LCD deffo mate,plasma suffer with screen burn.Lcd last longer.I have 37 inch lcd,surround sound and ps3 all connected to it via HDMI and it looks and sounds great.OLED are the latest tv's out,but are quite expensive.Hope this helps

There was a thread some time ago about this, on the back of it I bought a 42" panny plasma. After looking round all the proper shops (not currys etc) I would not touch and LCD, the picture in SD is awful.

Plasma's these day do not suffer my screen burn and as for LCDs lasting longer?? My panny has a half life of 50,000 hours, then you just turn it up a bit and get another 50,000 hours.

You cannot compare and LCD picture to plasma, and ignore all that 1080P marketing rubbish you just don't need it.

Ask anyone who is in to there home cinema what panel they have and 90% will have plasma... or a projector.

Don't buy LCD....you have be warned

http://www.plasma-lcd-facts.co.uk/

Waits for the folks who thought LCD was the panel buy to defend there mistake

Trending Topics

Old 11 June 2009, 08:55 AM
scooblube
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by e6tony
lcd gee,i got 52" wiv consoles etc running wiv hdmi cables and its great,when i bought it i was told plasma screens dont last very long bruv
You were lied to mate, Curry's or Dixsons?
Old 11 June 2009, 08:59 AM
e6tony
Scooby Regular

aint gonna defend anything mate, i love my tv and therefore will give my opinion !

i bow down to your superior knowledge sir
Old 11 June 2009, 09:02 AM
scooblube
Scooby Regular

aint gonna defend anything mate, i love my tv and therefore will give my opinion !

i bow down to your superior knowledge sir
Why thankyou, just hope my superior knowledge saves him making the wrong choice...
Old 11 June 2009, 09:08 AM
e6tony
Scooby Regular

so do i ,he is a nice fella would hate to see him buy the wrong screen!!
Old 11 June 2009, 09:14 AM
TomR555
Scooby Regular

LCD all the way mate
Old 11 June 2009, 10:26 AM
Ms Gooner 1
Scooby Regular

I've got samsung plasma, and if i put the sky on pause for a long while - when i play again there is a slight burn - but it doesn't last long at all. On day to day watching TV i can't fault it.
Go speak to Chris (catalunya) in Stellisons in Southend - tell him on the ESC and he'll give you his advice - without the hard sell.
There are LOADS of threads on here and non-scooby related about this topic - think eventually it comes to personal preference and budget
Old 11 June 2009, 06:09 PM
scoobyed
Scooby Regular

I have plasma and i find colours are better on a plasma but gaming is better on LCD. Its all down to preference really, another factor is i have small kids so a non scratch screen like plasma is better as its easier to clean.
Old 11 June 2009, 08:12 PM
G-Man1982
Scooby Regular

Location: DIESEL POWERED BORAT! SLAMMED, R32 WHEELS, MAPPED, DE-CAT, TINTS. LOVE IT!

so do i ,he is a nice fella would hate to see him buy the wrong screen!!

love u bruv! lol
Old 11 June 2009, 08:51 PM
pinseeker
sandseeker & waterseeker

Default A good thing to do is......

......go to www.avforums.com/forums/index.php & have a read.

You can register as well & get some really good advice
A purchase of this nature is worth the effort to choose the right TV for your use
Old 11 June 2009, 10:23 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough
Smile

Originally Posted by Ms Gooner 1
Go speak to Chris (catalunya) in Stellisons in Southend - tell him you are on the ESC and he'll give you his advice - without the hard sell.
Another vote for having a word with Chris. He has helped me with advice on LCD brands & Sky related stuff as well as Freesat.

He will tell you the behind the scenes trade view. He will refer to his engineer's experience of reliability & glitches found in certain models. He will give an unbiased opinion.

He may even try to sell you something @ a great price.
Old 11 June 2009, 10:45 PM
Dogfather
Scooby Newbie

I was told Lcd are better up 37" then anything after that its Plasma.I`ve got a 37" Lcd & its mint but its what i was told.Them new Led tellies are far better than both,a different class.If you`ve got the money i would def get one of those.I think there about £1500 for a 32" or 37" at currys.People say Plasma don`t last as long but you`ll probaly have another telly by then anyway so who cares how long it lasts as long as it does 3-4 years.
Old 12 June 2009, 04:53 PM
97Catalunya
Scooby Regular

Hi Scoobyman

My advice would be LCD/LED the real home cinema enthusiast would recomend the Pioneer Plasma as they are awsome (Check out ESC HQ ) but you have to pay a lot of money and go for the top of the range to get one that is really worth it.

For your use I would really advise LCD especially for gaming, the main reason is the lack of image burn. LCD has cought up with plasma now for picture quality IMO. But what has been impressing me the most recently is LED

Samsung have an stunning range of LED TV's available now, and they are only 29mm thick!!!!!!!!

A Quick Lesson

Why and what is LED? A Normal LCD panel is back lit with what is effectivley flouresent tubes and a good LCD TV will have a contrast ratio of around 80,000:1. LED TV's are back lit with banks of LED's, what that means is when you get something dark on the TV the LED's can be dimmed of even turned off in that area of the screen stopping the light bleed, so black is black and not very dark blue, resulting in a contrast ratio of 2,000,000:1

Their geek session over LOL

But at the end of the day the best advise I can give is look at the picture yourself and decide if you like it or not all of us on here or wherever you go can tell you this is best or that is best, but it is not us thats going to be sitting in front of it .

From a lifespan point of view LCD & Plasma are about the same BTW.

I hope this is of help and if you need any more info PM me and I will give you the shop number

Chris.....