Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

New York!

Search this Thread

Old 22 November 2006, 09:04 PM
MrBush
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New York!

I'm off to the Big Apple in December!

And was wondering if there was anything apart from shopping and obviously the Empire State Building that we should be doing?

Any ideas welcome!
Old 22 November 2006, 09:52 PM
essexboy30
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrBush
I'm off to the Big Apple in December!

And was wondering if there was anything apart from shopping and obviously the Empire State Building that we should be doing?

Any ideas welcome!
Highly recommend the Oyster restaurant in Grand central station....
avoid the sky ride on the empire state building.
little china is very dirty and tacky.
little italy is very neat and full of restaurants only.
tavern on the green is a great place to eat... magical....
the boat dinner round lower manhattan is great, good opertunity to see the statue of liberty close up.
the helicopter ride round the statue is great, go late afternoon, around 3.30 as the sun will be setting, so still light, but you will also see the lights of manhattan..
avoid several of the restaurants around time square, tgi etc. (very expensive for what you get).
Take in a broadway show.....
Old 22 November 2006, 10:11 PM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

don't go on the trip to the statue of liberty ... you'll queue for hours and it's not worth it. Instead do the boat ride which takes you past it and you'll save yourself a fortune and get better piccies.

Definitely take some time to visit Soho and Greenwich Village. Proper party areas and full of awesome bars and nightlife ... as well as some very weird goings on

For restaurants I would def recommend the Rainbow Rooms. The view is simply breathtaking and the food is just as breathtaking!!! Although unforuntely the prices are also breathtaking. You are on vacation though so who ****ing cares about cost!!

For shopping by all means visit Macys and Bloomingdales but if you want to spend cash go and visit Century 21 which is just around the corner from Ground Zero. They basically buy in all the latest fashion in bulk and ship them out at silly prices! I bought a Calvin Klein leather jacket in there for $250 and the same jacket was $425 in bloomies.

Use the metro as it is perfectly safe and puts our tube system to shame. Maybe steer clear after 11pm but during the day it's the cheapest and quickest way to get around ... and you'll sample true new york by doing so.

If you can, get online early and book tickets to a basketball match ... ****ing atmosphere there is electric. Don't go and watch a Yankees game because baseball is soooooooooooo boring. Yeh it's good to be at Yankee Stadium but after three hours you'll be falling asleep in your bbq sauce.

Oh and for breakfast don't eat in the hotels get out and go to the proper NYC diners which are littered all over the city. That's where the New Yorkers all go for the early morning feeds. There is a f.kind excellent one on 8th and 48th ... it's definitely 8th but maybe lower 40s. In any case it's around there anyway.

Deffo go have a sandwich in Carnegie Deli. Get a taxi driver to take you there. The sandwiches come out like bloody mountains and you won't need anymore food at all during the day after one of those. highly likely to see stars in there too. When I was in there Donald Trump wandered in.

Oh and whilst we are on the subject of stars Jay Z's club is just around the corner and (if you can get in) you'll sample the best and most bling nightclub in the world. basically it is the place to be in NYC and there are stars there every night that it is open ...

If I think of anything else I will post up again.
Old 22 November 2006, 10:24 PM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

Oh and please try to not look like a tourist!! Don't walk around with a ****ing huge camera around your neck and your wallet bulging in your back pocket. You WILL lose them!!

Best to carry disposible cameras or invest in one of those tiny sony cameras that fit in your pocket or inside jacket pocket. 12m pixels vs 6m pixels looks no different so don't endanger yourself by trapsing around with one of those ridiculour SLR things.

You'll need to take your passport everywhere with you as you'll get Id'd regardless of how old you look. So my advice is to memorize your passport number and/or photocopy your inner detail sheet incase you lose it. I wouldn't cary more than $300 in cash around with you ... and pay by card because you'll get a better fx rate than drawing cash out from a machine. Not trying to frighten you as NYC is a safe city but best not to take risks if you know what I mean.

It will be cold out there so take warm clothing and stuff which can work in the snow!

Oh and if you have kids then take a trip to FAO Swartz. It's the biggest toy shop in the world (officially) and has to be seen to be believed. If you remember the film Big (with Tom Hanks) then you'll remember the toy shop scene. That was all done in FAO's and that massive ground piano that you play by jumping on the keys is actually still there. Actually go there regardless of whether you have kids or not because it's a proper laugh and no matter how old you are the kid in you will come out.

Take a trip down 5th Avenue as well ... equivalent of Sloane Street in London and your Mrs will have her eyes out on stalks because there lies the bling bling handbag and jewelery shops.
Old 22 November 2006, 11:10 PM
MrBush
Scooby Regular

Thanks very much for the advice!

I feel like i've already been there and know what to expect!

Thanks again!

The missus has a big grin on her face now! i think its the thought of Bling Bling!
Old 22 November 2006, 11:28 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

You will love it

Rob has given you some great highlights

My wife has nagged me for years to take her so I have promised her a visit next year
Old 23 November 2006, 01:30 AM
wrx_yank
Scooby Regular

the village (grenwich) is full of interesting charachters to say the least....be careful what "bars "you visit otherwise you may get more than you barganed for....(my friend got somthing slipped in his drink and lets just say... er ...he diddnt exactly wake up with a woman ... subway is good but honestly... i would take taxis after 8pm, gets a bit nervous in there after 8pm take a day and get a pizzA for dinner... its the best in the world and cheaper than youve ever seen ask a cabbie for the best local pizza joint and he will set you right. eat a hotdog on the street... its our version of the kebab.... pure drunk food... and i know it sounds gross, but ive found the dirtyer the hotdog water.... the better the hotdog ...ummm what else.... dont call it a basketball "match"or harm is likely to come your way.... ( we call it a basketball game) and the yankees effing rule... i dont care what GANGSTA SMURF says...lol i joke.... but on a serious note... have fun and enjoy the exchange rate you lucky *******..... im trying to still get used to your freaking pounds!
if you have any questions PM me... i am from new york and i am happy to help
Old 23 November 2006, 01:20 PM
Tomski_908
Scooby Regular

Great place you'll love it

Get a tour bus ticket takes you all around New York and you can get on and off as you wish plus they last for 2 days!!

Walk round central park .... ITS GREAT and defo go to the zoo the rain forest is AMAZING!! Wouldn't bother with the horse & cart ride wasn't get for the cost but its an experince!

DON'T GO TIFFANYS!!! Costed my other £400

Overal get yourself a good map! And enjoy yourself's, theres so much to do you'll never do it all!!

Have fun I have some pics if your interested?!?
Old 23 November 2006, 04:17 PM
EmEm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gangsta Smurf
I bought a Calvin Klein leather jacket in there for $250 and the same jacket was $425 in bloomies.
Not like the one with the zip down the back that cost you £450 odd (but was probably only £150 and the shop clerk saw you coming!)

Let me guess then, you've been once or twice before then???
Old 23 November 2006, 06:50 PM
V1CK1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gangsta Smurf

You'll need to take your passport everywhere with you as you'll get Id'd regardless of how old you look.
You do look quite young still Rob with that baby face of yours, did you get asked for id alot

Vicki