Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

How would you answer this???

Search this Thread

Old 19 November 2006, 10:41 PM
PJB1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How would you answer this???

Hi
Started to fill in application form for the police and got to this question and its to me seems a bit tricky. It uses the word "challegened" and I think it could be a trick question??
Any suggestion please?
Question is:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q1. It is vitally important that Police officers show respect for others, irrespective of their background.

Try to recall an occasion when you have challenged someone’s behaviour that was bullying, discriminatory or insensitive. Do not use an example where the other person was simply angry or upset. Their behaviour must have been bullying, discriminatory or insensitive. You will be assessed in this question on how positively you acted, and on how well you understood what had happened.

Thank you for any suggestions
Old 19 November 2006, 10:43 PM
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by PJB1
Hi
Started to fill in application form for the police and got to this question and its to me seems a bit tricky. It uses the word "challegened" and I think it could be a trick question??
Any suggestion please?
Question is:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q1. It is vitally important that Police officers show respect for others, irrespective of their background.

Try to recall an occasion when you have challenged someone’s behaviour that was bullying, discriminatory or insensitive. Do not use an example where the other person was simply angry or upset. Their behaviour must have been bullying, discriminatory or insensitive. You will be assessed in this question on how positively you acted, and on how well you understood what had happened.

Thank you for any suggestions
Show you did this in a diplomatic way and not a physical way. not a trick question IMO.
Old 19 November 2006, 10:46 PM
Cornelius
Scooby Regular

agreed, physical force should only be used as a last measure, diplomatic reasoning should always be done first
Old 19 November 2006, 10:51 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

But you are trying for the police force after all.

"Well I was gonna ask him nicely sarge, but his teeth had all fallen out"
Old 19 November 2006, 10:55 PM
PJB1
Scooby Regular

I understand that phsical force is a very last option, but by putting the word challenged in the question to me sounds like they are asking you to tell them that you butting in on something in a strong way?
Old 19 November 2006, 11:00 PM
Tissy
Scooby Regular

This is primarily to do with race diversity and respect for others. Its asking for an examaple where you have witnessed someones behaviour as being unacceptable and how you challenged this behaviour. You will need to evidence how you challenged this.

Obvioulsy its difficult for me to come up with an example for you. But i am sure you have been in the workplace where someones behaviour has been witnessed to be unacceptable, whether this is from a race point of view of bullying. Something where something was said to another, that made YOU feel uncomfortable and how you challenged it (if you did of course).

So for example, you could have witnessed a third party being bullied because he / she was gay. You could have intervenied and then spoke to the bullier. You could have said to this bullier "If you persist in this manour which i find unacceptable, i will be forced to bring it to the attention of the management." You felt that your response to this situation was appropriate and after your intervention the bullying stopped.

This is just one example !!

It is not a trick question, it is worded however for you to illustrate how you have respect for others regardless of their ethnic background, personal circumstances, sexual preferences etc etc.
Old 19 November 2006, 11:07 PM
PJB1
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that, will think back and get writing. Cheers
Dont wont to help with the other 5 Q's??
LOL
Old 20 November 2006, 10:51 AM
Tripple'O G
Scooby Regular

How would you answer it?

oink oink?

JUST KIDDING!
good luck!