Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Diagnostic question

Search this Thread

Old 28 October 2013, 10:42 AM
Tyler 1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diagnostic question

This is probibbly a silly question, or has already been covered but i am unable to find any info on this. What do you do if you need to read engine management codes on a My98 running a simtek ecu. ? Does a normal obd reader work, as tried that tourque one that is on my phone and i was told it will not work
Old 28 October 2013, 07:44 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Does the simtek ECU even do fault codes?
Old 28 October 2013, 07:50 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Check this out:

http://8378simtek.wordpress.com/faq/
Old 28 October 2013, 10:39 PM
Tyler 1
Scooby Regular

Cheers bud, not long found out that you need to buy a Simtek dongle and software.. Will be purchasing in a few weeks the components when i speak to Simon..
Old 28 October 2013, 10:54 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

It'll be worth it!
Old 29 October 2013, 03:23 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Tyler

You will need to have Dongle and SW,which can supply any SimTek/AlcaTek dealer,speak with Simon and I'm sure he will able to help you

Plus I would suggest send yours ECU for AlcaTek upgrade if its possible,this doesn't cost too much and features are well worth it extra money

If budget allow I would sell SimTek and get Syvecs,on this ECU you don't need any fancy dongle etc,simple Ethernet cable and you can log etc

Jura
Old 29 October 2013, 05:25 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Hi,Tyler I agree with Jura but the only thing with getting the alcatek upgrade is the return to sender time limit,I don't know if Andrew has sorted out his back log yet but you could be waiting a good few months to get your ecu back,but if you could get some guarantee that it would come back ASAP then I would definitely go with the upgrade.Syvecs is the boss of Ecu's though with all there functions coming as standard.SJ.
Old 29 October 2013, 12:24 PM
Tyler 1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by piehole1983
It'll be worth it!
Hope so

Originally Posted by jura11
Hi Tyler

You will need to have Dongle and SW,which can supply any SimTek/AlcaTek dealer,speak with Simon and I'm sure he will able to help you

Plus I would suggest send yours ECU for AlcaTek upgrade if its possible,this doesn't cost too much and features are well worth it extra money

If budget allow I would sell SimTek and get Syvecs,on this ECU you don't need any fancy dongle etc,simple Ethernet cable and you can log etc

Jura
Originally Posted by stonejedi
Hi,Tyler I agree with Jura but the only thing with getting the alcatek upgrade is the return to sender time limit,I don't know if Andrew has sorted out his back log yet but you could be waiting a good few months to get your ecu back,but if you could get some guarantee that it would come back ASAP then I would definitely go with the upgrade.Syvecs is the boss of Ecu's though with all there functions coming as standard.SJ.

Cheers Jura and SJ, i would love to change to syvecs but the problem is it would be just too expensive, even if i sold the Simtek i would still need to pay another 600-700+ ontop for the syvecs then the map on top which is another 350.. Would seriously love to have the syvecs..

As for the firmware update i noticed that there is a option on the simtek site to download the firmware, is there not a way of me doing it myself, asurely a firmware update can not be that dificult?

Also is there that much of a difference with the firmware update?
Old 29 October 2013, 12:39 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

I think there is but I'm not sure what functions it adds but I know I read it somewhere also.I always thought the guy that does the mapping of your ECU would do any needed firmware updates for you,my wife's Alcatek upgrade was because she wanted to run avcs heads but that was firmware and hardware as there was another board added onto her original ecu board.i would give simon a pm and ask,he will definitely know.SJ.
Old 29 October 2013, 12:42 PM
Tyler 1
Scooby Regular

Cheers SJ, no need for me to PM him really as in a week or 2 i will be going down to see him to hopefully map the car, knowing my luck it will prob break or wont start lol
Old 29 October 2013, 12:48 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Always try to think positive Tyler you'll be OK mate,just double check everything you have done meticulously and when the mapping is complete you should be all smilesSJ.
Old 29 October 2013, 01:15 PM
Tyler 1
Scooby Regular

Cheers SJ, fingers crossed ay.. Yeah i lay in bed at night going over everthing i have done so far, its quite funny as had my car apart so many times over the past 7 years i can picture pretty much every thing..
Old 30 October 2013, 12:46 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tyler 1
Hope so

Cheers Jura and SJ, i would love to change to syvecs but the problem is it would be just too expensive, even if i sold the Simtek i would still need to pay another 600-700+ ontop for the syvecs then the map on top which is another 350.. Would seriously love to have the syvecs..

As for the firmware update i noticed that there is a option on the simtek site to download the firmware, is there not a way of me doing it myself, asurely a firmware update can not be that dificult?

Also is there that much of a difference with the firmware update?
Hi Tyler

Agree change to Syvecs can be expensive,if will worth I would say,yes will worth it

You can't upgrade yourself ECU Firmware right now without the upgrading to AlcaTek,after you will upgrade to AlcaTek you should be able to upgrade FW

New AlcaTek have Knock correction,8 maps,Toucan support and many other features which should be awesome and really upgrade cost too much,speak with Simon

Jura
Old 30 October 2013, 12:50 AM
Tyler 1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jura11
Hi Tyler

Agree change to Syvecs can be expensive,if will worth I would say,yes will worth it

You can't upgrade yourself ECU Firmware right now without the upgrading to AlcaTek,after you will upgrade to AlcaTek you should be able to upgrade FW

New AlcaTek have Knock correction,8 maps,Toucan support and many other features which should be awesome and really upgrade cost too much,speak with Simon

Jura
Cheers Jura, when I go to get the car mapped I will have a word with simon.

I really thought the alca tek was a different ecu