Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

EMU Light On Dash

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2013, 09:29 AM
Scoobydo63
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EMU Light On Dash

Hi Guys - new to the forum (and new to Northants...). Have an '02 Impreza 5 dr sedan, 47k and newly MOT'd (plus minor service only) from Subaru Maindealer - Westways. As i returned home yesterday, the yellow Engine Management light appeared, and has remained, on the dash. Can anyone recommend a garage that can reliably diagnose and offer a realistically priced fix? Have been advised it could be alternator (and timing belt is original) or a whole host of other issues, of course. Any further advice would be fab .

Heather
Old 14 January 2013, 11:02 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

wouldnt you be best contacting the dealer you got it off ?
if its something serious they might not like it if another garage has had a fettle.
Old 14 January 2013, 11:05 AM
Scoobydo63
Scooby Newbie

Not sure a trip across to Edwin Longs (Co Down, N Ireland) would be warranted lol...but very much appreciated a response nonetheless stig
Old 15 January 2013, 11:57 AM
Scoobydo63
Scooby Newbie

Default Good Scooby Mechanics - East Midlands

Just an update - light did not appear on dash this morning, despite remaining on for the previous 24hrs. Probably advisable to still arrange for a diagnostic, so any recommendations for either mobile or static garage in the Rothwell/Market Harborough/Desborough region would be gratefully received!!
Old 21 January 2013, 10:35 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just head down to westaways and they will read the code for you ... i think that is what JDM Stig was suggesting as they have been doing the servicing for you.

The alternator light is red so wouldnt be that. The engine management light comes on for many different faults and normally switch off automatically after 5 restarts if the fault is not currently present on the car. It doesnt mean the car has fixed itself though so still worth checking out.
Old 22 January 2013, 09:56 AM
Scoobydo63
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Originally Posted by dynamix
Just head down to westaways and they will read the code for you ... i think that is what JDM Stig was suggesting as they have been doing the servicing for you.

The alternator light is red so wouldnt be that. The engine management light comes on for many different faults and normally switch off automatically after 5 restarts if the fault is not currently present on the car. It doesnt mean the car has fixed itself though so still worth checking out.

Thanks Duncan - i did have her booked into Westways last weekend, however due to inclement weather and the fact light had since departed from dash - I have cancelled the computer read out. However, I am due to travel back to N Ireland in 8 wks for a long weekend, and have arranged the local Subaru dealer to not only replace the timing belt & brake pads....but to take a diagnostic too.

Appreciate your feedback Duncan - unaware of the 5 restarts that resets the setting
Old 23 January 2013, 01:00 PM
Scoobydo63
Scooby Newbie

Default Update

Just to update the thread - light reappeared on dash yesterday after nearly a week from inaugural showing. Promptly taken to local garage in Wellingborough for diagnostic which showed P0328 - Knock Sensor, which apparently is not uncommon and regulates the top end revs. Requires an official Subaru part but at least nothing more sinister. Thanks to Duncan & Stig for your support
Old 23 January 2013, 07:42 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just as a remark on that code. This happened to mine when parked facing uphill and water went through the scoop and settled by the knock sensor on the back of the block and shorted the wiring. Might not need a new sensor just drying out if that scenario seems likely ....