Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

engine management light on

Search this Thread

Old 11 August 2012, 09:07 AM
stealthbomber
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine management light on

Hi all, I'd appreciate your advise please. I have an 02 wrx bugeye wagon. On the way home from work last night, I accelerated up to about 6000 rpm in second and the light came on didn't flash just straight on. The car seems to be running fine otherwise no noises or smoke, all fluid levels are good. Its a completely standard car. Appreciate its impossible to diagnose without seeing the car but would anyone be able to offer any ideas. Thanks in advance, Gareth.
Old 11 August 2012, 11:14 AM
toneh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stealthbomber
Hi all, I'd appreciate your advise please. I have an 02 wrx bugeye wagon. On the way home from work last night, I accelerated up to about 6000 rpm in second and the light came on didn't flash just straight on. The car seems to be running fine otherwise no noises or smoke, all fluid levels are good. Its a completely standard car. Appreciate its impossible to diagnose without seeing the car but would anyone be able to offer any ideas. Thanks in advance, Gareth.
Get your self a vag cable (£10 max ), download learning view ( free)
And it'll tell you what dtc,s you may have

Tony
Old 17 August 2012, 10:20 AM
stealthbomber
Scooby Regular

Ok had the fault code read and it came up as the cam shaft position sensor. Advised to get it changed and possibly the cam belt too.
Old 17 August 2012, 10:32 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

was it code 0340 ? if so it may not be the sensor.
Old 17 August 2012, 11:06 AM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bugs are renowned for throwing this fault near the rev limiter, Get yourself a cheap OBD scanner off eBay for £25 delete the code and see if it comes back and take it from there, But if your cambelt needs changing get it done
Old 17 August 2012, 01:30 PM
Gigsy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GAZ2293
Bugs are renowned for throwing this fault near the rev limiter, Get yourself a cheap OBD scanner off eBay for £25 delete the code and see if it comes back and take it from there, But if your cambelt needs changing get it done
Agreed, if the cambelt needs doing (i.e. don't know when it was done or hasn't been done for 4-5 years or 50k miles or so) then definitely get that done soon.

I've not had this fault in any of my 3 bugs but your car is ~10 years old so not unusual for some sensors to start failing (have just replaced the TGV sensors on mine as they threw a CEL for example).