Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

V5 V4 Cam differences? LINK G4+ ECU

Search this Thread

Old 24 November 2022, 03:42 AM
Simba7
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V5 V4 Cam differences? LINK G4+ ECU

Hi All,

I have a Link G4+ WRX V5/V6 ECU and need some help.

I own a UK spec Subaru Impreza GC8 V5 Turbo 2000 and am fitting a V7 STI block with V4 STI Heads into it.

This block and head combination came out of a V4 Impreza where it was working great.

I am using a V4 manifold but all the existing parts from my V5 including throttle body which I have retrofitted and is simply plug and play with the cars electronics.

Now I have asked someone online about compatibility and have been told that the problem will be that the cam gear for timing underneath the oil filler has a different configuration on the V4 than the V5.

I don’t quite understand this nor do I know if it’s true as the engine was working in a V4.

Is there a difference in cam gear between the V4 and V5?

If so how do I modify my previously professionally mapped G4 + ECU to recognise the difference in the cam gears whilst keeping the existing electrical setup of the V5?

Many Thanks
Old 24 November 2022, 09:28 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

can't assist ECU wise but yes in general terms they are correct in terms of the cam gear / heads / cams being totally different on MY89 - MY98 cars
you also can't use 99> ph2 cam gear on earlier heads as the physical fitment is different

suggest you talk to your mapper
Old 24 November 2022, 10:15 AM
Simba7
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stockcar
can't assist ECU wise but yes in general terms they are correct in terms of the cam gear / heads / cams being totally different on MY89 - MY98 cars
you also can't use 99> ph2 cam gear on earlier heads as the physical fitment is different

suggest you talk to your mapper
That’s interesting you say that because the engine was working and consisted of a V7 block and V4 heads in a V4 vehicle so all I’m doing is putting it into my V5. Only the ECU needs to account for the difference if it’s possible.
Old 24 November 2022, 10:41 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

ph1 / ph1.5 cars are all the same basic set-up, then ph2 99-00 cars and then another slight variance for the MY01> cars.......
Old 25 November 2022, 12:36 AM
Turbovin
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I think the Link G4+ should be flexible enough to make it work but you'd better ask on the linkecu support forum. The trigger type selection seems to suggests it works the same on version 1-6. Maybe the connector on the cam sensor itself is different but perhaps the sensor type is similar. Comparing the base maps for V3-V4 and V5-V6 there are some differences in trigger arming threshold tables. It's better to ask the experts about this. Maybe Enginetuner will be able to answer this as well.

I use V8 JDM AVCS heads on my V5 G4+, for that I had to use the newage crank trigger wheel and then choose V7-V10 JDM trigger setting in the ecu (and some wiring changes for this of course).

Last edited by Turbovin; 25 November 2022 at 12:39 AM.