V5/V6 STi Engine Differences

Search this Thread

Old 24 December 2020, 01:12 PM
mbwoy84
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default V5/V6 STi Engine Differences

Hi guys,

I’ve recently picked up a V5 STi Type R, which was very cheap for a Type R due to some questionable cosmetic modifications (it’s now being put back to standard) and the fact that someone has replaced the engine with one from a WRX or Turbo 2000. It does have the correct Turbo though.

Now I have a couple of questions as I want it to have the correct engine and be as OEM as possible.

Firstly, are V5 and V6 engines identical?

Secondly. Are the any differences to the ancillaries (talking anything non-internally and the turbo as I know the one I’ve got is correct) from a V5/V6 era WRX/Turbo 2000? Is the inlet manifold the same, but painted red or are there more physical differences?

I’m struggling to find a complete V5 or V6 STi engines, but I have found an engine advertised as a V5/V6 STi engine minus some ancillaries and minus heads and I’ve found separately as pair of heads advertised as V5/V6 STi heads.

I guess I want to know if (for example) the block is V5 and the heads are V6, will that make a difference or are they identical and if the ancillaries I already have, which may have come from the STi originally or a lesser model, will still be correct.

TIA!