Notices
Driving Dynamics Driving techniques (trail braking, power slides, donuts, scandinavian flicks, etc), and vehicle dynamics (roll centres, c/g weigh transfer, etc)

HELP!! - Blown WRX Engine - Contemplating STi Engine Transplant!!

Search this Thread

Old 19 October 2006, 03:28 PM
l_r_m
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! - Blown WRX Engine - Contemplating STi Engine Transplant!!

I have an early '93 WRX Jap Import (XJ20 engine) which would you believe has gone bang! (Big-end shells / little end shells / crank goosed etc..) and could either fit another XJ20 (for £750 actually re-conned unit so not too extortionate I suppose) OR - managed to find a '96 STi Jap Import off a rear-accident damaged STi for £1100 - now the chap selling it says it should be a stright swap over.. - for the extra £350 I'd be happy with that since I'll prob only blow another XJ20 anyway!!

So.. has anyone ever attempted this.. - is it a stright swap over and do all the bits off my WRX just bang straight onto the STi short engine? - (I'm hoping in theory they do - I think it's just the same spec engine but obviously steel rather than alum. alloy so slightly heavier but obviously can withstand a lot more power.. - yes if the ECU is still the same and turbo still boosting at WRX level then ofc ourse not as quick as the STI - there's time to tune it later - but what do you thinkg guys?! - Worth risking the STi engine?!?!?!

ANY info whatsoever would be VERY much appreaciated!

Cheers,
Leigh [/B]
Old 19 October 2006, 05:14 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by l_r_m
...ANY info whatsoever would be VERY much appreaciated!

Cheers,
Leigh [/b]
All I can suggest is posting this somewhere else; the driving dynamics section is probably one of the least visited sections here...

Of course, after posting this useless reply, I notice you have done exactly that!

Last edited by ru'; 19 October 2006 at 08:53 PM.
Old 19 October 2006, 05:15 PM
Scooby Senior

1, it's an EJ20 Engine

2, It depends which STI engine it is, the block will probobly be the same alloy one (they are all alloy). It MAY have the better forged pistons in it, and SHOULD have better heads on it, but you wont know unless you strip it down.

3, I wouldnt say it is re-conned if it's only 750, watch out for scams, they arent unheard off! Double that for a proper re-con engine from a reputable place... remember, buy cheap, buy twice!

4 You will probobly need a re-map if you change the engine to an STI one as the cam timing etc will most prob be different. (this is advisable anyway if it still has the jap std ecu map in it)

5, I have just blown mine too, any chance of your block and pistons, my crank and rods are fine

Adam
Old 19 October 2006, 08:09 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

If the 93 heads are OK then you can fit everything from the outside of your wrx onto the new sti short engine and it will run a treat.
A nice base for tuning potential.

You can of course buy direct from Subaru an Sti short motor, ready built (block, pistons, rods and crank) for £1400 quid brand spanking new !!

This has to be the way to go.....

But yea, it will all fit.

Andy
Old 20 October 2006, 12:29 AM
l_r_m
Scooby Newbie

Sounds like a plan!! - I'll give Robinson's in Rochdale a call tomorrow - Is it £1400 or £1400 plus VAT?! - Costs are mounting up of course! - The whole car's only worth £3-3.5K so don't want to be spending a ridiculous amount on it!! - Prob worth sticking a WRX short engine in (I think it's £750 + vat from Subaru) and can sell as practically brand new engine then with receipts etc..) and buy an STi!! - Ooo decisions!!! - But thank you very much indeed for the comments!! Very helpful!!! I'll let you know what I decide and how it goes in.. or not as the case may be! Leigh
Old 20 October 2006, 07:28 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

yea that was plus vat I'm afraid.

Subaru also do the wrx short engine at around £1200... + vat

Andy