Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

JDM AVCS ECU help needed

Search this Thread

Old 02 March 2016, 04:59 PM
ydeardorff
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDM AVCS ECU help needed

Hello,
I have been haunting various scooby sites for years, and with the latest new that my coveted 05 USDM non AVCS EJ205 engine has cracked heads, it has sent me on a quest to replace the motor.
This of course has sent me into looking for a JDM replacement unit.
After talking with our local rallye sport shop (NWRS) I was pointed to an AVCS replacement. This is great, however there seems to be a complete vacuum on information about jdm ECU's, or those that know arent sharing.

If I replace my motor with an 02-05 AVCS EJ205 jdm engine, I of course cannto use my 7E USDM ECU. I can however modify my 03 WRX harness to incorporate the AVCS wiring and plugs. But I need to know what OEM JDM AVCS ECU's I should be looking for.

The next issue is AT versus MT ECU's. Ive heard that you can just ground out a certain pin in the AT ECU and it will ignore its info for the AT and just become a MT ECU for all intent and purposes.

I am not familiar with what a version 7, 8, or 9 is. I have chosen to remain with the EJ205 for its performance and especially its price. Not to mention I will be plugging this engine into my 03 harness which was meant for the EJ205.

So any help anyone can offer would be of great help! I cannot buy a motor without the proper ECU, and many of the JDM resellers often dont sell the ECU with the motor. And are even less informed about this stuff.

Once all that is figured out, I will then need the pin out for that specific ECU as well.
I have found quite a bit of information but non of it really helps with the AVCS or not issues.

JDM ECU list
http://1drv.ms/1WV6VpL

Last edited by ydeardorff; 02 March 2016 at 05:14 PM.
Old 02 March 2016, 06:55 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy an alkatek. No need for modifying wiring looms etc.

Get on to jti innovations for the avcs wiring
Old 02 March 2016, 09:28 PM
ydeardorff
Scooby Newbie

I cannot afford a custom ECU. I prefer to use the OEM one if possible. I may go with an after market one later, but for now I just need the JDM AVCS ECU.

The wiring is the easy part. Its finding not only the correct JDM AVCS ECU, But its pin out as well!
Old 02 March 2016, 09:53 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

More than just the avcs pins on a jdm ecu are different most other pins will need swapping about jdm wiring to the ecu is massively different you would need to change nearly the full loom as the ecu controls loads of other items including aircon ect hence the easiest and best way would be another ecu, a second hand syvecs or alkatek would not be a huge cost.
Old 02 March 2016, 10:02 PM
ydeardorff
Scooby Newbie

right now the ECU's Ive looked into are 1200+ USD. Thats way too much.
Im hoping to find a way to get the engine, ECU, and engine-ECU harness when I buy the motor.
Then the rest will just be a tedious job of patching it in. Not hard, just tedious.
But if it ends up that way, It will be another setback.... It will just take longer to get the motor running. But I do have some good parts I may be able to swap for a decent ECU... 2005 WRX EJ205 USDM Turbo, complete intake w/ harness, EJ205 short block (88k). Etc to raise some funds toward it. Well see.
Either way I need to ensure I can D-check the jdm seller, and what I receive, as well as knowing the pin outs...
Old 02 March 2016, 10:44 PM
TimH
Orange Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Minimal wiring differences between JDM and EUDM 2.0 and easily sorted.

But USDM? I thought they were 2.5l not 2.0l?

That said, I did dialogue with a US tuner looking at installing a Syvecs and we compared ECU pinouts and they matched. That was a 5-plug ECU as per UK/EU 2001-2005.
Old 03 March 2016, 12:45 AM
ydeardorff
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by TimH
Minimal wiring differences between JDM and EUDM 2.0 and easily sorted.

But USDM? I thought they were 2.5l not 2.0l?

That said, I did dialogue with a US tuner looking at installing a Syvecs and we compared ECU pinouts and they matched. That was a 5-plug ECU as per UK/EU 2001-2005.
As far as I know, in the USDM the WRX is a 2.0L turbo, and the STI is the 2.5L turbo.