ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

engine check light

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2016, 12:03 PM
janner man
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine check light

Hi guys and girls got a question got my car booked in for a diagnostic test tomorrow but I'm wondering if I can fix this my self engine check light comes on when cold and it flickers on and off it hesitates when under loads when warming up but once warmed it seems to be fine now my question is this I put 97 Ron fuel in her when she needs 99 but poor planing by me I couldn't find a shell or tesco since then the car has been giving me these symptoms above put it my self in diagnostic mode come up with code 23 and 24 knock sensor and maf well checked the maf that works spoke to a very reputable subaru tuner who assured me it won't be the knock sensor as they are an simple circuit that very rarely break but I have told poor fuel can cause detonation which is what I'm getting now would you all agree and has anyone experienced this situation there self thanks in advance for any info
Old 04 February 2016, 12:18 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Car and spec?
Why you taking for diagnostic when you had already done this?
Yes use 99ron
Det will not cause your cel,a faulty knock sensor will.
Sounds like this tuner is talking cr@p,knock sensors do fail,mine has just failed causing cel,new knock sensor fitted and cel gone.
Also try cleaning the maf but be very careful with it.
Old 04 February 2016, 02:28 PM
janner man
Scooby Newbie

Thank you for the quick reply mate its a turbo 2000 UK 99 light mods I have doing some digging to day and I pushed the distributor number 3 lead and it clicked turned on the ignition no cel light and no hesitation then took her for a little drive no light and hesitation but lol then smelt oil underneath the the drivers side wheel I think it's the up pipe there was smoke coming out of one of the bolts so new gasket but is there ment to be oil that's what was causing the smoke
Old 04 February 2016, 02:39 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Nice one.
Impreza notorious for leaking rocker cover dripping onto exhaust,worth a check,also the turbo is on that side so check oil pipe to turbo for any leaks.
Old 04 February 2016, 03:50 PM
janner man
Scooby Newbie

Thank you ossett��