Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

need help with my 93 impreza wrx...limp mode low boost.

Search this Thread

Old 15 April 2015, 10:16 PM
tangc8
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with my 93 impreza wrx...limp mode low boost.

really confused with my impreza wrx 93 now. first thought it was a boost issue but as soon as i reset the ecu it boosts up fine for about half an hour then straight back into limp/low boost mode. really cant get my head around whats going on, diagnostic was showing coolant temp sensor, i changed it and now no fault codes showing at all. runs really crap when its low boost too almost as if its running too rich but as soon as the ecu is reset its fine. iv checked everything from boost solenoid checked everywere for leaks etc just cant get my head around it, kind of wish i didnt buy a wrx with this problem going on.

any help greatly apreciated.
Old 15 April 2015, 10:18 PM
tangc8
Scooby Newbie

just thought id add my car has a td05 turbo fitted along with a 3port boost solenoid, im not too sure if it comes stock with td05 and a 3 port boost solenoid but it all looks very stock
Old 18 April 2015, 09:44 AM
jjayokocha
Scooby Regular

as far as I know the wrx should be td04 & 2 port solenoid standard, needs mapped for td05 & 3 port unless already done. Sounds like a maf issue to me, they don't show up as a fault til almost completely fooked. try borrow a working one to see, should fix the issue straight away without having to reset ecu.
Old 18 April 2015, 10:55 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TD05 and 3 port were standard on the saloon at that MY for your car, wagons ran a TD04.

First things first, fuel, what are you running her on?
Old 18 April 2015, 10:13 PM
tangc8
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
TD05 and 3 port were standard on the saloon at that MY for your car, wagons ran a TD04.

First things first, fuel, what are you running her on?

yes thats correct i was told td05 and 3port boost solenoid is stock on the 93 jdm wrx. i only ever use vpower in any of my jap motors.
Old 18 April 2015, 10:28 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Has the car got any mods or totally standard? No dump valve,induction,decat ect?
Old 19 April 2015, 12:10 PM
tangc8
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by ossett2k2
Has the car got any mods or totally standard? No dump valve,induction,decat ect?
car is fitted with an aftermarket exhaust and i think a decat. its also got hks induction kit. other than that it seems to be stock. on the odd occasion it boosts up perfectly but 90% of the time it seems like its in limp mode, no codes stored on ecu etc.
Old 19 April 2015, 01:07 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Do you have a boost gauge? What is it reading on full boost?
The early cars have a map sensor which is only rated to 1.26bar and will hit fuel cut if you go over that(this might be what you're experiencing) Post 97 map is rated to around 1.86bar
It is advisable to remap for full decat and induction,some people don't and get away with no damage(most people will say remap is needed,me included)
If you can try a later map sensor then this might cure your problem?
Old 19 April 2015, 10:57 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

Do you have a boost gauge? What is it reading on full boost?
The early cars have a map sensor which is only rated to 1.26bar and will hit fuel cut if you go over that(this might be what you're experiencing) Post 97 map is rated to around 1.86bar
It is advisable to remap for full decat and induction,some people don't and get away with no damage(most people will say remap is needed,me included)
If you can try a later map sensor then this might cure your problem?

you cant fit/use a later model map sensor without mapping it in as the scaling is different.
Old 20 April 2015, 08:16 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by my94wrx
you cant fit/use a later model map sensor without mapping it in as the scaling is different.
Remap will be needed for induction and full decat so I would suggest buying the ESL daughterboard,hook it up to your laptop and map in the upgraded parts,you can also monitor everything that's going on plus rescale a later map sensor if you're wanting to go above 1.26bar. For the price of ESL its the best money I ever spent tbh.
Old 20 April 2015, 10:20 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

Remap will be needed for induction and full decat so I would suggest buying the ESL daughterboard,hook it up to your laptop and map in the upgraded parts,you can also monitor everything that's going on plus rescale a later map sensor if you're wanting to go above 1.26bar. For the price of ESL its the best money I ever spent tbh.
all this is all well and good but being as the OP does not have a re mappable ecu suggesting he fits a later map sensor to attempt to fix something isnt really the best advice, yes ESL is good and i have happily run one for many years but i cant help but think the amount of people who have bought one of the v2.0 92/96 boards will have tears before bed time when they finally realise that ESL wont be releasing the motorsport pack that half of the newer version v2.0 92/96 boards have been sold on the back of.
Old 20 April 2015, 11:10 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

all this is all well and good but being as the OP does not have a re mappable ecu suggesting he fits a later map sensor to attempt to fix something isnt really the best advice, yes ESL is good and i have happily run one for many years but i cant help but think the amount of people who have bought one of the v2.0 92/96 boards will have tears before bed time when they finally realise that ESL wont be releasing the motorsport pack that half of the newer version v2.0 92/96 boards have been sold on the back of.
Is good advice to remap for ANY upgrades as I've already said,including map sensor if wanting to run higher boost levels and like I said ESL will give the op this option
I'm loving the Motorsport pack and I'm sure if Andy said it will be released for the 92-96 cars then I'm sure it will.
Old 20 April 2015, 11:20 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

Is good advice to remap for ANY upgrades as I've already said,including map sensor if wanting to run higher boost levels and like I said ESL will give the op this option
I'm loving the Motorsport pack and I'm sure if Andy said it will be released for the 92-96 cars then I'm sure it will.
yes but the OP doesn't want to run more boost he just wants to run standard boost, how is his ecu is going to know what to do when you bang on a later model map sensor with completely different scaling, surely the first thing before tuning his car is to get it running right first.
Old 21 April 2015, 08:17 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

yes but the OP doesn't want to run more boost he just wants to run standard boost, how is his ecu is going to know what to do when you bang on a later model map sensor with completely different scaling, surely the first thing before tuning his car is to get it running right first.

I can appreciate what you are saying but maybe if you offer some advice to the op rather than having a dig then it might help him out. I wasn't suggesting to just bang a later map sensor on and all will be magically fine,I obviously know the map sensors,injectors,induction ect ect ect need mapping in as I have ESL with all the bells&whistles on
The ESL is not only a great tuning device it's also a great diognostics tool,being able to read all the cars perameters is most helpful,the cars own diognostics if ok but very limited.

tangc8 have you checked to make sure there is no MBC/Dawes device fitted,also checked on the restrictor pill is in place and correct?
Old 21 April 2015, 11:29 PM
tangc8
Scooby Newbie

I can appreciate what you are saying but maybe if you offer some advice to the op rather than having a dig then it might help him out. I wasn't suggesting to just bang a later map sensor on and all will be magically fine,I obviously know the map sensors,injectors,induction ect ect ect need mapping in as I have ESL with all the bells&whistles on
The ESL is not only a great tuning device it's also a great diognostics tool,being able to read all the cars perameters is most helpful,the cars own diognostics if ok but very limited.

tangc8 have you checked to make sure there is no MBC/Dawes device fitted,also checked on the restrictor pill is in place and correct?
the car is running the 3port boost solenoid no manual boost controller etc, and restrictor pill is in place from the bottom hose venting to atmosphere.