Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

advice on mapping a VF28 on a Hawk WRX

Search this Thread

Old 13 November 2014, 11:04 PM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default advice on mapping a VF28 on a Hawk WRX

Hi guys,

I have done all my own mapping to date, odd tweak here and there to get the stock TD04 to drive how I want it to. Adjusting for other engine mods (exhaust, air filter, MAF Calibration etc.)

I have a VF28 on it's way and am a bit wary of mapping for it. Any pointers or advise would be very much appreciated.

current engine mods
Pro-R air filter,
Silicone Y pipe
scorpion back box
straight through centre pipe
2nd cat removed
HRC 255 lph fuel pump

Kit I am using is Tactrix cable with romraider and ecuflash. ideally want to keep it open source in case I want to put the TD04 back on and put the car back to stock.
Are there any professional mappers out there that tinker with open source and would assist (for a price) with giving me a good base to start with?

thanks,
Fuzz
Old 14 November 2014, 11:34 AM
Deej
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't help you with the base map I'm afraid, but I'm interested to know how you get on. I'm just getting started with DIY mapping and have an identical set of mods to go on, albeit for a 2l engine.

Seeing as you've adjusted the map for the other parts, what is it that's putting you off mapping for the new turbo? Is it just the step up in complexity?

I think RaceDynamix does open source mapping - can't comment on the quality/reputation though having never used his services.
Old 14 November 2014, 11:37 AM
brendy76
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you still running the catted uppipe FuzZ?
Sounds like you are heading down the road I went with my Bug WRX.
I am tweaking my own rom with the same software etc as yourself.
VF24/28 (same thing), sti pinks, 3" turbo back, decat uppipe, Dynapex 255lph fuel pump and a green panel filter.
My current rom is going great guns and mid range is pretty strong with no knock showing at all, running on 95 too so could be tweaked a little more for 97 but Im playing it relatively safe.

Last edited by brendy76; 14 November 2014 at 11:39 AM.
Old 14 November 2014, 11:58 AM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

Deej - I think it is the unknown of the VF28 spool up to be honest.. I would expect the peak boost to come in a bit higher than the TD04 being a slightly bigger turbo? but unsure at what revs and load etc. to map this to. and what to top it out at.. not sure of the max PSI a VF28 can safely take.

I am not looking for loads of power I just got bored of the way the TD04 delivers all it boost in a lump at about 3200rpm and it's all over.
and nudging above that 300bhp mark was a bit of a draw I am not going to lie I have seen a few maps on mapping forums on a 2.5wrx with a VF43.. I guess I could take that and do like a middle ground between that and the TD04.

I might drop RaceDynamix a PM see if they are interested in assisting me.

Brendy - Still running the stock Cat from turbo to rest of exhaust if that is what you mean? Up pipe to turbo on hawk does not have a cat in it.
Sounds like you are an old hand at it feel free to share your map if you like? I know I cannot flash it but might give me an idea of where boost will come in and tail of etc. from the values.

thanks,
Old 14 November 2014, 12:42 PM
brendy76
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FuZzBoM
Deej - I think it is the unknown of the VF28 spool up to be honest.. I would expect the peak boost to come in a bit higher than the TD04 being a slightly bigger turbo? but unsure at what revs and load etc. to map this to. and what to top it out at.. not sure of the max PSI a VF28 can safely take.

I am not looking for loads of power I just got bored of the way the TD04 delivers all it boost in a lump at about 3200rpm and it's all over.
and nudging above that 300bhp mark was a bit of a draw I am not going to lie I have seen a few maps on mapping forums on a 2.5wrx with a VF43.. I guess I could take that and do like a middle ground between that and the TD04.

I might drop RaceDynamix a PM see if they are interested in assisting me.

Brendy - Still running the stock Cat from turbo to rest of exhaust if that is what you mean? Up pipe to turbo on hawk does not have a cat in it.
Sounds like you are an old hand at it feel free to share your map if you like? I know I cannot flash it but might give me an idea of where boost will come in and tail of etc. from the values.

thanks,
I found on the 2.0 the td04 comes in 3-400 rpm faster and the Vf28 comes on but with a much stronger shove. I am running mine at 18psi peak (spools to 18 at 3.7k rpm) tapering down to just under 16psi at redline.
the Vf28 will certainly get you over the 300 mark.
If your 06 has avcs then it will be a fairly different kettle of fish timing etc wise but the boost should still be the same.
Old 14 November 2014, 01:55 PM
Deej
Scooby Regular

Ideally you need to track down a compressor efficiency graph for a VF28 (if you do can you please post it up!). For example here is the compressor performance for a TD05-16G:

You can determine this manually though if you're prepared to do some logging and maths. There is a very good explanation of this in the 'Target Boost' section of this guide (you may well have read it already):

https://sites.google.com/site/asubie...gguide/ver-1-0

If you ask around on the RomRaider forums you may find someone has already done this, although I'd take any maps/info you receive with a large pinch of salt and check it through carefully first.
Old 17 November 2014, 11:58 AM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

thanks guys, much appreciated. Gives me something of an idea what to aim for pressure wise etc.

Brendy - mine does have AVCS.. do you think I will need to modify that much to take full advantage of the extra boost?

thanks,
Old 17 November 2014, 12:13 PM
brendy76
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FuZzBoM
thanks guys, much appreciated. Gives me something of an idea what to aim for pressure wise etc.

Brendy - mine does have AVCS.. do you think I will need to modify that much to take full advantage of the extra boost?

thanks,
You can play with AVCS a little to help spool up, beyond that Im not sure. I havent really looked into the later management changes over the bugeye/blobs.
Old 21 November 2014, 02:18 PM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

Turbo arrived today.. been having a quick look at maps but still doubting myself so have emailed Duncan. If nothing else I think I could sort a nice safe map until it is properly done.
Old 21 November 2014, 02:23 PM
smiffywhu
Scooby Regular

Duncan mapped mine yesterday, very happy with results. All the best
Old 25 November 2014, 12:16 AM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

I emailed Duncan but he advised he would be unable to provide a 'remote' remap service due to being too many variables to take into account and would only map with the car in front of him.
I completely understand that and in truth was the response I expected. And in many ways shows his integrity and wanting to do the job right...

Personally my worry is that I am still very much an amateur at this. Anyone can turn the boost up but if the timing, fuelling etc. etc. are incorrect it can cause many issues down the line.
Thinking maybe I should leave it to the pro's!?