Notices
Driving Dynamics Driving techniques (trail braking, power slides, donuts, scandinavian flicks, etc), and vehicle dynamics (roll centres, c/g weigh transfer, etc)

What did he do wrong..

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2008, 03:40 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What did he do wrong..

Driving Sports: Flashback: WRX Crashing at 125mph+

I'm sure most have seen this vid , but it seems to me that he succumbed to lift off oversteer, probably overreacting to understeer..?

Thoughts..?

Also, if he was encountering understeer what should he have done (track scenario), a touch of LFB..?

Note this was a (modded) WRX, so 50/50 centre diff..
Old 13 January 2008, 04:32 PM
Mifo
Scooby Regular

possibly your're right with the overreaction thoery.
i have seen quite a few similar accidents with the impreza.

the guy is sponsored, I cannot beleive he doesnt have a roll cage or racing tyres. probably wouldnt have happend if he had racing tyres.
Old 14 January 2008, 03:40 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Usually when you play these vids over a few times you get a feel for what the person did wrong. And often it is so quick that you doubt if many could retrieve it.

On this vid it is really hard to see what happened exactly before the big overstear moment - assume far too high an entry speed and he lifted off too much? Dangerous to assume though.

On my non DCCD WRXs (Classic)

I personaly have found that power understear on the limits is just a light easing up on the throttle and a touch of straighting of the wheel and then that fraction of a second to let the car settle and ease back on the gas.

Trail lifting/braking - lifting off/braking to promote overstear. I have personaly have found that a touch of opposite lock a nutural throttle to get the car in roughly the right direction and then straight back on the power and the fronts seem to pull you out.

All well and good me talking about if from an armchair though - its a bit different when the scenery if flying towards you

Last edited by Steve Whitehorn; 14 January 2008 at 05:56 PM.
Old 15 January 2008, 02:25 PM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Big front splitter and no rear wing wouldn't have helped the front rear balance, not sure what happened though as he seemed out of the corner and straight when it veered off, last time I saw an accident like that it was Pentti Airikkala on the RAC in a Sapphire Cos' 4x4 and on the video you could see one front strut failed....

Simon
Old 16 January 2008, 09:59 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The rookie
Big front splitter and no rear wing wouldn't have helped the front rear balance, not sure what happened though as he seemed out of the corner and straight when it veered off, last time I saw an accident like that it was Pentti Airikkala on the RAC in a Sapphire Cos' 4x4 and on the video you could see one front strut failed....

Simon
Never noticed/thought about the lack of rear wing, could be bang on there..! Even the WRX ironing board must have some sort of down-force effect..?