Notices
Driving Dynamics Driving techniques (trail braking, power slides, donuts, scandinavian flicks, etc), and vehicle dynamics (roll centres, c/g weigh transfer, etc)

Country roads... Getting the best out of my WRX PPP?

Search this Thread

Old 25 November 2007, 11:04 PM
RagingKileak
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Country roads... Getting the best out of my WRX PPP?

Hey guys,

I'm lucky enough to have purchased an 03 WRX with PPP from another member last week.

I think its great, but its very different from my last car (Focus ST, 320bhp and 345 lbs/ft FWD) and I feel it needs working quite hard to get power.

The ability to corner quickly is already apparent, as is a complete lack of wheelspin on exit - this is where it feels particularly quick.

Im not going to get any advanced driving in before next year at the earliest, and winter is coming. I have a lot of country roads near me and they are my favourite kind... What are the basic best ways of driving Imprezas quickly and as safely as possible?

Matt
Old 27 November 2007, 02:22 PM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Slow in, fast out. Seems to be the best way, and probably the safest
Old 28 November 2007, 09:36 PM
RagingKileak
Scooby Regular

Yeah that much I have learned, cheers though!

Matt
Old 29 November 2007, 08:04 AM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Make sure you can see the road ahead! Blatting around a blind bend to face a horse or tractor isn't fun on a muddy, leafy road.
Old 29 November 2007, 12:56 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to a hillclimb race training day, suggest Prescott Hillclimb close to Cheltenham. Hillclimb is very much like a country road and about 3/4 mile long.

You will get expert tuition and about 20+ 'attacks' at the hill.

You will sort lines, approach and exit in safety and learn from other's experiences too. Good day out, and a video of your efforts to laugh over later...

Try the web site for details.

To my mind fast in and no lift and faster out is the way, but make sure you have the rev range/gear right or traction will evaporate just when you need it.
Old 29 November 2007, 01:02 PM
satancom
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Floyd
Make sure you can see the road ahead! Blatting around a blind bend to face a horse or tractor isn't fun on a muddy, leafy road.
Muddy Leafy country road is how I wrote off my first car.. Since slowing down and driving normally through the lanes I have had a fair few near misses with horses/tractors, and thats traveling around 30-40mph.. not the 80-90 i used too!

The accident conerned ended with my car UP a tree with the passenger side hanging over a 50ft drop! only the drivers rear wheel was on the deck!
Old 29 November 2007, 05:44 PM
Scooby Regular

Yep: Don't loon about on the road!
Old 29 November 2007, 10:15 PM
RagingKileak
Scooby Regular

I did say safely!!!

I'm not about to do anything crazy, frankly I dont have the skill. I'm never going to be able to left foot brake or do heel and toe etc so I am happy to just drive quickly and well within the limits of the car. I think a hill climb track day would be a great idea!!

Didnt know they existed, of course I had and am considering a normal track day and I will chuck this into the mix too!

Matt
Old 29 November 2007, 11:22 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Get the handling tightened up and the car will feel much quicker and more fun at any speed.

I have started sorting the handling out on my car and it feels fun at any speed. A trackday tuition and hill-climbing event is the way to go, you will come out a much better and more confident driver.
Old 30 November 2007, 05:51 PM
Scooby Regular

Take a look at this:

Prescott Speed Hill Climb
Prescott Speed Hillclimb

BEWARE! YOU JUST MIGHT WANT TO HILLCLIMB YOUR CAR AFTER A TEST DAY. DO NOT BLAME ME FOR THIS!

Last edited by 911; 30 November 2007 at 05:53 PM.
Old 02 December 2007, 10:52 PM
RagingKileak
Scooby Regular

Sounds good, I am gonna look into it. Cheers!!

I will say this though, without hopefully getting flamed... if anything the Subaru feels relatively slow to me, the lack of low down torque is really bothering me but its just a matter of time till I get used to it.

Matt
Old 04 December 2007, 07:42 AM
Scooby Regular

We all feel that!
Once you start to keep it going over 4500 all the time the pace will surprise you and with the right chassis mods a stock engined Impreza is a real flyer due to the suppleness and balance which can be enhanced considerably.

Such speed will be a bit iffy on public roads, but if you try a hillclimb it is a challenge to get it on boiling point straight from the off and keep it there!

Search for Rob 2460 on Project section and watch his fantastic in-car vids. The car is good and Rob is a natural fast driver. The pace is very very smooth and above all bloody quick...