Notices
Driving Dynamics Driving techniques (trail braking, power slides, donuts, scandinavian flicks, etc), and vehicle dynamics (roll centres, c/g weigh transfer, etc)

DCCD setting for Nurburgring

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2007, 10:22 AM
fmp
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DCCD setting for Nurburgring

Hi guys

pick up mo 03 Spec-c on tuesday, the i am off to the 'Ring on friday!

I was hoping for a bit more time with the car, but ho hum!

The DCCD is all new to me, is there a specific setting that works best at somewhere like the 'ring, or is Auto good enough?

As for my driving style, i would best describe it 'agressive'.
Old 30 June 2007, 11:39 AM
Davey P
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If yours has the auto function, then that's probably the best setting to leave it on.
Old 30 June 2007, 12:14 PM
marmski
Scooby Regular

Agreed... leave it on Auto if you have it... the range of sensors will ensure things are kept in check and move the Torque around upto 50 times a second (your better keeping your hands on the wheel than trying to match its pace!! )

Just bear in mind though that DCCD is only effective with Torque being transferred through the diffs.... ie: It wont prevent understeer without some power being down.

If you have never driven a car with DCCD-A before, i wouldnt push things too hard until you really get used to it because you may not be bringing your car back with you.
Old 30 June 2007, 12:14 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hope your aggressive driving style is toned down - not the place to be aggressive, not knowing the place and with a strange car.

Nurburgring bites big style.
Old 30 June 2007, 09:16 PM
fmp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dynamix
I hope your aggressive driving style is toned down - not the place to be aggressive, not knowing the place and with a strange car.

Nurburgring bites big style.
yup will be taking it easy at the ring, but i have been a few times before, so know the score!

Cheers for the info guys!

mat
Old 01 July 2007, 08:09 PM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I left mine on Auto. It was fine,

If you have Defi's, keep a eye on your oil temp.
Old 01 July 2007, 08:20 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

the spec c comes with engine and oil coolers as standard.If the oil temp gets too hot they cant be particulaly good
Old 01 July 2007, 08:22 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Is this the DCCD in action?

YouTube - 7 Sec Ring Master

PMSL
Old 01 July 2007, 10:47 PM
phelpsa
Scooby Regular

I'm off to the 'ring on friday as well! Look out for a 2006 STi Spec-D, can swap tips
Old 02 July 2007, 09:10 AM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by scooby-tc
the spec c comes with engine and oil coolers as standard.If the oil temp gets too hot they cant be particulaly good

'Engine cooler'?
Good point, it does have a radiator in the front

Oil Cooler- though!!!

Being serious, - Its a known fact, for those that have tracked both, that Newages seem to run hotter oil temps than Classics. You'll see what I mean when you start comparing your new one to the Type R. (Just like I did)

Subaru stuck an oil cooler on the SpecC for a reason, after all. In this world of cutting costs, it would be an easily avoidable overhead if it was just a gimmick.

I don't have an oil cooler on my Full fat JDM, so I don't know if it makes up for the difference, or actually lowers it below the classics cooling.

BUT, I thought it worth mentioning to the owner in case he was comtemplating 2-3 fast laps in sequence.
Old 02 July 2007, 09:21 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by phelpsa
I'm off to the 'ring on friday as well! Look out for a 2006 STi Spec-D, can swap tips
Adam - will look out for you on the webcam, make sure you wave

Have fun and bring it home safely
Old 02 July 2007, 11:54 AM
fmp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by phelpsa
Will do mate!

I will be a white 03 Spec-c in a sea of Citroen Saxo's!
Old 02 July 2007, 11:56 AM
fmp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hol
'Engine cooler'?
Good point, it does have a radiator in the front

Oil Cooler- though!!!

Being serious, - Its a known fact, for those that have tracked both, that Newages seem to run hotter oil temps than Classics. You'll see what I mean when you start comparing your new one to the Type R. (Just like I did)

Subaru stuck an oil cooler on the SpecC for a reason, after all. In this world of cutting costs, it would be an easily avoidable overhead if it was just a gimmick.

I don't have an oil cooler on my Full fat JDM, so I don't know if it makes up for the difference, or actually lowers it below the classics cooling.

BUT, I thought it worth mentioning to the owner in case he was comtemplating 2-3 fast laps in sequence.
Thanks for the advice, i usually only do one lap at a time, to allow car and more importantyl brakes to cool.

I dont have any Defi gauages etc at the mo, but hoping the oil coolers as said do thier job!
Old 03 July 2007, 12:56 AM
phelpsa
Scooby Regular

I've been reading up a bit on the subject and from what I've read, in the dry the best performance will be had with the diff open (ie all the way back) if you are going absolutely flat out, and in the damp/dry the Auto setting will give the best performance as the computer opens/closes the diff slighty.

Overall, unless you are going 100% flat out (which you probably wont be considering you'll have had the car 3 days ), leaving it in Auto is probably the best plan. We'll have a bit of a fiddle with our DCCD just to experiment and see what differences it makes

Is the DCCD on the 06 STi the same as on the 03 Spec-D?

Adam

Last edited by phelpsa; 03 July 2007 at 12:58 AM. Reason: Mistakes
Old 03 July 2007, 06:20 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

no, the 06 STI onwards has steering & yaw sensors.

Auto works fine for me around the ring - there are less dangerous, costly places to experiment

In the dry (elsewhere) i have it 1 notch up from fully open and damp settings are usually either in Auto or first orange light on the dash
Old 03 July 2007, 09:14 AM
simo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hol

An oil cooler definatly does work at the Ring I was seeing up to 120degC before getting one fitted & now see 110 - 112 max. Also, the extra 1 litre+ of oil in the car can't be bad now, can it!
Old 03 July 2007, 03:26 PM
r1gixer1
Scooby Regular

off to the ring in my 06sti in sept. you`ve got me worried.not about the ring [been 3 times]it`s not as bad as some say, it`s other cars,bikes and buses!! that`s the problem.
i`m worried about the oil temp though. she`s been uprated a bit,nothing spectacular, exhaust,filter,remap. 342hp. i get a smell of oil sometimes and she does use a bit. should i think about having an oil cooler fitted. is it an expensive addition.those defi guages are so expensive and i would`nt know what temp it should be anyway.
also the dccd. i got the impression mine was a bit understeery with it in auto and if i switch it off seems to feel better through the corners. am i wrong. tell me.
Old 03 July 2007, 03:39 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

An 06STi should not be using oil?

I have an 03STi and it does not use oil and I have done trackdays every year in it.
Old 03 July 2007, 03:43 PM
simo
Scooby Regular

If you are feeling flush, get the lot. If not so flush, get the oil cooler. If skint, stick your head in the sand.

I used my car for a year+ before I got the SECS oil temp sender that showed me the temps I was running. People have commented that the pick up for the oilsender near piston 3 gives a 5-10deg higher reading than one at the sump. Unless you are driving the Ring hard I would take the risk that you would not hit peak oil temperatures (by hard I mean sub 9mins btg, true time, not pub bs time!!!! )

You takes your chance!
Old 03 July 2007, 03:44 PM
simo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SPEN555
An 06STi should not be using oil?

I have an 03STi and it does not use oil and I have done trackdays every year in it.
Mine does, maybe you are not trying hard enough
Old 03 July 2007, 03:44 PM
r1gixer1
Scooby Regular

it`s smelt ever since the remap. uses about half a ltr in 500 mls. strangley enough it`s not been as bad since elvington.
now it`s the clutch!!!
Old 03 July 2007, 03:53 PM
r1gixer1
Scooby Regular

the thirst for super unleded is killing me so am skint and will probably take the sand option[hopefully not on/off the track] would have liked to have some sort of suspension fiddling done before i went as well but probably won`t, for the same reason.
Old 06 July 2007, 01:20 AM
Dill_typeR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if the system it uses differs at all from the classic DCCD.
But, with mine, in any position apart from locked (didn't try that one) it, it didn't seem to make a difference around a wet Silverstone.

Last time i was at Donny, I had a little play, and it seemed to 'feel' like a little less understeer at the chicane and Redgate, but hardly noticeable TBH, with 2 clicks forward.
Old 12 September 2007, 10:23 PM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SPEN555
Is this the DCCD in action?

YouTube - 7 Sec Ring Master

PMSL

Hahaha, quality!!

G
Old 13 September 2007, 10:47 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Just be careful with the diff in auto, as when cornering HARD with neutral throttle and slight understeer, if you then boot it the front end will grab hard into the corner and you then have to be extremely quick to wind off the steering.
If it catches you out once it is likely you will crash.

If you leave the diff open the car will respond the same way every lap although understeer is increased. But it may be good to do a couple of laps with diff open before putting it in full Auto. IMHO
Old 14 September 2007, 12:34 AM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Beastie
Just be careful with the diff in auto, as when cornering HARD with neutral throttle and slight understeer, if you then boot it the front end will grab hard into the corner and you then have to be extremely quick to wind off the steering.
If it catches you out once it is likely you will crash.
Thats quite a valid point.

After I first got MY07 Scoob STi 2 weeks ago I took it for a spirited drive on some tight B roads and was amazed at how well the DCCD functioned on Auto mode. I flew into a bend and then applied some decent throttle and the front end responded in the manner of a house fly changing direction, it was instant and rapid!

Watch out and take care when pushing it I'd say.

G
Old 15 September 2007, 10:10 AM
Martin-STI
Scooby Regular

Well, I had mine on Auto last year(MY05STI) and after a few to many consecutive laps due to quite(but damp morning track) sixth lap on the trot I entered a quick left right before the Hotel(other entrance) and the cars rear slid a little and like a novice instead of powering out I quickly put opposite lock on and in doing so, yes you guessed it.

The DCCD had already sorted it and now throws me the other way and I am now going back wards at speed.

Damage was new nearside wishbone after bring it around without touching anything(lucky ****** I thought) I put the power on again and the nearside is on the grass and I glance the side with the wheel bending the wishbone.

Had to wind tracking in to drive home, may have worked out cheaper to have it repaired in Germany but was due home next day.

£700 later back in Blighty it was sorted, and we are off there again in November.
Old 15 September 2007, 10:27 AM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I did a test last night with the DCCD in full auto. Whanged it round a roundabout turning 90 degrees right and full on the power. It wasnt good the car started snaking, but still on full power i waited to see if the DCCD would sort it out. Answer is it wont. I had to correct the snaking myself as it was turning into a tank slapper. Took power off momentarily and she came good.
Only benefit I can see so far is less understeer in corners with DCCD on and of course launching is improved.
Old 15 September 2007, 07:17 PM
ScoobyWeb
Scooby Regular

just come back from the ring and the car performed great with the DCCD in auto mode. One thing I did notice was that after a lap (or two) on the track. When pulling back into the car park the Centre and rear diff would clonk alot, even driving around the roundabout outside the car park the diff would clonk. After a few miles of normal driving everything would return to normal. What a fantastic place though

Chris.