Notices
Driving Dynamics Driving techniques (trail braking, power slides, donuts, scandinavian flicks, etc), and vehicle dynamics (roll centres, c/g weigh transfer, etc)

Twitchy Steering - Is This Normal ?

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2005, 12:41 PM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twitchy Steering - Is This Normal ?

Bit of a numpty question being new to Impreza Driving !

I find the steering on my 98 very twitchy - to try to explain a bit more - it seems to react a lot to bumps in the road, rough surfaces etc... which can cause the steering wheel to turn so you have to correct it to keep it straight - not huge amounts, but just little adjustments.

Especially earlier today when I got competely lost and ended up on some single lane sheepsh1t trail over the top of the mountain ( good fun though ) - found I was having to put a lot of work into the steering to keep the car straight, make lots of little corrections etc...

Is this normal for driving on bad surfaces ( tarmac ) in an Impreza ? The cars I have driven before have all been low powered, small, 2WD with pretty spongy soft steering, so is it just a case of getting used to a more responsive car ?

This hasnt been when pushing it, just driving at slower urban speeds, driving on the motorway and dual carriageway ( smoother road as well I suppose ) it seems much better.

The car has had Prodrive shocks fitted, and has been lowered, so would this make it more obvious and prone to this than a standard car ?

Would appreciate more experienced owners views as I dont want to take it to a garage to get it checked over and find they say 'they all do that, its normal'

Ta
Mike
Old 22 July 2005, 04:29 PM
C 8HEP
Scooby Regular

lowered car would cause this. they dont generally cause problems as standard!
Old 22 July 2005, 04:34 PM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Its not really a problem as such, just different in handling from the soft / vague / spongy cars I've been used to driving. The ride is very hard due to the lowering and different stiffer shocks.

What I dont want to do is go to the expense of fitting higher springs, then find out its not that much different anway - not having driven another Impreza to be able to gauge it against.

My wife also drives the car, and she hasnt noticed it that much, but says her MGF, which is quite stiff has similar handling.

I actually prefer it as opposed to having very soft steering, as you feel more connected to the car, and get more feedback from the road - I'm more used to riding sportsbikes where your body is used a lot more to control it than the controls ( if you see what I mean ) so all cars feel a bit 'disconnected' to me in comparison.
Old 22 July 2005, 07:55 PM
dazc
Scooby Regular

Sounds like tramlining. Are your tyres getting low?
Old 23 July 2005, 02:04 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

> found I was having to put a lot of work into the steering to keep the car
> straight, make lots of little corrections etc...

Sounds like bumpsteer to me. Get youself down to Powerstation in Tewskesbury for the bumpsteer mod.
Old 23 July 2005, 08:43 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Plenty of life in the tyres ( they are all pretty new, and were all replaced at the same time and are matching ), just to reitterate it only seems to be on rough surfaces, on smooth roads at low speed its fine - not sure now if its more to do with the stiffness of the ride than anything else - maybe the car 'bouncing' more on rough surfaces rather than the suspension absorbing the bumps ?

bumpsteer mod ???
Old 23 July 2005, 09:57 AM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

www.powerstation.org.uk

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...ight=bumpsteer

A common complaint of Subaru Impreza owners is the tendency for their cars to understeer when pushed hard, whether on the road or race track. POWERSTATION decided to take this challenge on board and spent quite a while setting up a customer's car using various geometry changes to try and dial out this understeer. Using their very accurate geometry measuring equipment they saw that the Impreza suffers from what is known as bump steer. This is the tendency for the front wheels to splay outwards when the front suspension is loaded up due to weight transfer or under braking.

POWERSTATION have worked out a method to counteract this and offer this set up to all their customers. The results have been very good to hear. Most owners comment that it is like having a different car after returning from their test run after the work has been completed. Also, quite a few owners have used this setup on track and comment on how much more able the car is while cornering. Another effect of this modification is that braking hard in a straight line results in a much more stable car. The photograph above shows one of POWERSTATION's customers driving hard through the Esses at Donington Park circuit
Old 23 July 2005, 10:40 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Thanks, will give them a call

Mike
Old 23 July 2005, 10:59 PM
tath
Scooby Regular

it's just lower tyres, wider tyres, stiffer suspension, tighter steering...

if you're worried it's worth getting the alignment done, as this will improve handling anyway.
Old 24 July 2005, 09:09 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Quick update - I had checked the tyre pressures about a week ago down at the local garage, but thought I'd do them again just to make sure - looks like their gauge was way out !

Used a proper calibrated pressure gauge and the tyres were all a few PSI down on what they should have been, so pumped them up to the proper pressures, which has improved the steering.

Also went for a drive and tried different speeds on different surfaces, does seem much worse at around 15 - 20 mph than at 30mph, so it does look as if its more down to a combination of the mods and low speed.

Will look at getting the alignment checked as I dont know when it was last done, and it wont hurt.
Old 26 July 2005, 12:26 AM
dazc
Scooby Regular

Had my wheel alignment done a few weeks ago.

They advised me to bring it back for a check after I had done a few miles. Noticed the same as you, twitchy steering, following the camber, nervous and constant adjustments. Took it back in today and he said it was still a knats out.

Sorted it and it drives perfect now. Different car completely, and I didn't notice it following any cambers etc on the way home. Feels more confident with it too, had fun on way back!

Daz
Old 21 August 2005, 06:50 PM
ScoobaruZXZ
Scooby Newbie

I've noticed this to, my 2000 sport did it and I thought it was me. My new 52 WRX does it a bit but I found it was a slow puncture on the rear offside...lol. It's well worth checking tyre pressure regular and I'm off to the alignment garage next for a check up.

Anyone got any recomendations of wheel alignment places in Bedfordshire that are good?

Cheers,

Paul.
Old 22 August 2005, 05:45 PM
98prodrivewrs
Scooby Regular

The bumpsteer mod Powerstation do is their anywhere in Scotland that can do it, near Glasgow.