Notices
Driving Dynamics Driving techniques (trail braking, power slides, donuts, scandinavian flicks, etc), and vehicle dynamics (roll centres, c/g weigh transfer, etc)

Cornering with AP Suretrac/DCCD

Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2005, 10:16 AM
hmhaga
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cornering with AP Suretrac/DCCD

I've just completed a trackday with my new 6MT DCCD gearbox, I don't get to grips with the new differential behaviour (Suretrac, DCCD, R160 LSD)

I noticed that I if apply more throttle and steering than I'm used to (at this point it would start to understeer seriously with the 5MT), the front diff pulls the front to the inside/apxex - while the rear starts to slide. On the other hand, I think it reacts slowly before the diffs start to do their job.

What is the recommended driving technique through long 180 degree corners (entry speed 120 km/h, cornering speed 90-100, exit speed 120) with this setup?

Should I maintain steady throttle/speed, or let the diffs do their job? It seems to understeer a bit if I "feather" the throttle, but I'm afraid the tyre wear will sky-rocket if I apply throttle and let the diffs work?

The car has Toyo R888 tires and the DCCD is in OPEN mode, no AUTO-DCCD in a classic

The car is extremely fun to drive at trackdays now, they should sell all Imprezas like this
Old 24 August 2005, 05:38 PM
tath
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hmhaga
The car is extremely fun to drive at trackdays now, they should sell all Imprezas like this
amen to that
Old 27 August 2005, 09:36 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

The open DCCD will make the car vary tail happy, as it's rear wheel drive biased. The suretrac diff does make the change you describe, the main thing you need to get used to is not having to use so much steering lock. Once the DCCD is under some sort of control, you should have a much better setup overall.
Old 01 September 2005, 08:02 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

As pavlo suggests, you have to be a bt careful with steering inputs with the suretrac front diff- they have a nasty habit of throwing you off on the inside rather than where you would expect it to happen.