Notices
Driving Dynamics Driving techniques (trail braking, power slides, donuts, scandinavian flicks, etc), and vehicle dynamics (roll centres, c/g weigh transfer, etc)

feinting vs scando's

Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2004, 12:37 AM
prana
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking feinting vs scando's

OK I have to take the plunge and ask.

I am lucky to have driven/owned 2 awd cars and a few fwd cars too. But all had ABS fitted ecept one fwd. With AWD, to get the rear talking, I'd shift the weight opposite and then to the direction I want it to go with throttle on, I think most folks call this the feint drift.

But how does locking all 4 wheels work ?
What is the exact procedure and timing ?
When do you lock all 4 wheels, turning away or into the corner, or is the wheels straight on.
How does the weight transfer during this, when do you throttle and oppose lock and why ?

I did have a chance to drive a couple of rally cars but it was in a closed circuit and I was too busy trying to listen what the instructors had to say. Then when they took the wheel, they didnt quite explain how it was done, Sso can anyone help explain how the true scandinavian flick is performed, all wheel lock and all ?

Dan-ke-shi
Old 05 April 2004, 11:02 AM
N1 SPAN
Scooby Regular

I take it you are basically trying to find out how to get a subaru to go sideways?

The last thing you want to do is get the wheels locked, this will mean you will just go straight on.

It's just about simple weight transfer and anyone can sus this out with pen and paper.

You must have been to a pants rally school of they didn't explain it properly to you.

Scandinavian flick is simple, turn away from the corner and then into the corner off the throttle, maybe even on the brakes (but nowherenear locking), the back will now start to slide, you decide how far you want it to go before hitting the power and hopefully drifting out a little.

Sorry, I don't know what feinting is!"!

You will only get a scooby sideways going into a coner off the throttle, never on. You may occasionally get it to go sideways coming out of a corner on the throttle but never that much.

Be careful, Imprezas need masses of space to do this and a track is the only playing ground.

Have fun

Rich
Old 05 April 2004, 11:11 AM
prana
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for your reply N1 Span.

Actually you might have misunderstood my question (I am not too clear, my apologies). What you mentioned above was what I called feint, shift weight to the left then as the suspension compresses shift weight back to the right with throttle.

However, I am referring dirt/ice/gravel rallys, which makes use of a huge amount braking to get the weight transferring, used mostly on dirt or snow. And yep, thanks for the reminder, I will always practise on the track.

The school I went to was pretty basic, it was a good foundations course to rallying. If I ever get a chance to go to UK, trust me, I would enrol in one of your schools over there for sure. But the wallets a little thin.

THanks agian...

Last edited by prana; 05 April 2004 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05 April 2004, 03:35 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi prana

Locking the wheels has the main effect of keeping the car travelling in the direction is WAS travelling in, at the time of locking.. it is not directly related to the turning of a car through a flick or similar, however the locking of all wheels can be used during this..

For instance..

you could approach a right hand bend (on gravel, let's assume) at high speed, brake in a straight line (possibly with all wheels locked, as often a locked wheel offers more braking than a rolling one on gravel), then use the unsettling effect of a downshift, or a lift of the brakes combined with the twitch of the steering to the left, followed by hard braking and locking the wheels. This should set the car up sideways facing to the left.

Wind on oposite lock as needed, still with the wheels locked, then release the brakes and the rears will bite, the fronts are already on oposite lock, so the car will switch to sideways pointing to the right, then hit the gas and four wheel drift through the bend. This is just an example of the technique, not the only way, and probably not the fastest way.

It is more than possible to get a scoob sideways whilst on the gas, but it's all about balance, control and sensitivity.

Practice makes perfect, and as Rich said, make sure you are in a very safe environment before even attempting it.

All the best

Simon