Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Think I've got to go to the dentist.....

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2011, 01:22 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Think I've got to go to the dentist.....

Haven't been for about 14 years because don't like it (panic attacks, feinting, etc.). Had a bad experience when I was a kid. Lost a big filling in one of my back molars ages ago and it didn't give me any grief, the nerve must be dead in it so I left it. However the filling in the tooth on the other side fell out a month or so back. Hoped it would be okay but it's getting more and more painful such that I'm having difficulty eating on it and the pain is becoming annoying. I'm not registered anywhere & no idea if I need to go private or can get NHS treatment. Think it needs a crown. Bugger
Old 07 April 2011, 01:33 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

You'd better go mate, it will only get worse.

Maybe have a few whiskeys before you go in to give you some courage?

Maybe a female dentist would put you more at ease?
Old 07 April 2011, 08:38 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

I used to hate going (like you, bad experiences as a kid). I never used to have injections for fillings, until I had to have a root canal one (obviously, I needed one for that! ). However, it coincided with me changing dentists, to one nearer where I live, and he's absolutely brilliant! I have no fear now, and always have jabs for fillings, (even though it wipes me out......I'm a pathetic weed ). I even made an appointment for him to fix a broken filling, rather than waiting until my check-up. Look>>>>
Old 07 April 2011, 08:43 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be prepared to have your pants pulled down if you go private ..... there are now a lot more NHS than there were a few years ago.

The only thing I was ever scared of was the bill!!
Old 07 April 2011, 08:53 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Be prepared to have your pants pulled down if you go private ..... there are now a lot more NHS than there were a few years ago.

The only thing I was ever scared of was the bill!!
Your pants may well be pulled down!...all those stories about Dentists copping a feel when then patient is under an anesthetic!

Are you joking about the NHS BTW? My experience is you can get one so long as you travel 100 miles! Another Labour success!
Old 07 April 2011, 08:56 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

try and avoid a 2.30 appointment
Old 07 April 2011, 08:58 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2

I had one of those on Monday!
Old 07 April 2011, 09:05 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2

I had one of them last week why you say that

I did lose an hour and woke up with a sore bum although my teeth are better
Old 07 April 2011, 09:14 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

I too had a bad experience and never went. ended up having 8 teeth out with asleep and ended up having to go to a specalist for nervous people. sadly three years on I became confident with the hot nurse and now I have to find a new dentist to make room for people who are less confident.

Good news is that the size of the needles and stuff have improved so you should get less pain.

Please do go sooner rather then later as an absces (sorry for spellings) is the most painful thing ever - fortunatly I have never had one.
Old 07 April 2011, 09:22 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

i stopped going once i left education because i used to be petrified of the place.

anyway about 12 years later filling dropped out, then tooth cracked a bit more, then the filling the other side dropped out. after having tootache that felt like my head was going to explode (you can not exaggerate the pain i thought i was going to snuff it) i got an appointment. the dentist said i could have them out or fanny about trying to fix them and as i was visibly sweating in the chair she suggested i have them out at hospital to which i agreed.

hospital was awesome, anesthetic felt like i was drunk for about 5 seconds before i passed out. woke up with some nurse saying, you may as well go back to sleep - i wasn't going to argue.

woke up for a second time and asked the nurse if the job was done checked self out 20 minutes later, all good.

now i go every 6 months and all my past fears are gone, it's no where near as bad as you remember from your youth.
Old 07 April 2011, 10:06 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

http://media.dorks.com/content/pic/d...ry_dentist.jpg
Old 07 April 2011, 10:10 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Old 08 April 2011, 12:18 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are in pain and not registered with a dentist then many Primary Care Trusts run an emergency / access service to get people out of pain, in my neck of the woods it's called "EDS" or the Emergency Dental Service and is sorted by a telephone service which has the brilliant title of "Dental Direct" ......no guesses where that name came from.

Best bet is to phone your PCT and ask for access to the service......this will get you aout of pain and give you time to think

Where are you ??

Shaun
Old 08 April 2011, 07:49 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
You'd better go mate, it will only get worse.

Maybe have a few whiskeys before you go in to give you some courage?

Maybe a female dentist would put you more at ease?
The female ones are pretty tough ladies believe me!

Les
Old 08 April 2011, 09:11 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys and girls, guess I should make the effort to get it sorted before it gets even worse. I did look on the NHS website and it would seem that we do have a few dentists in the area taking on NHS patients, they do also have the emergency access centres that someone mentioned.

It would be a great idea for someone to set up a practice, staff it with only good looking lady dentists and nurses and advertise for nervous patients. You wouldn't want to look like a wuss in front of these hotties so would soon get over the nerves A similar thing could be done for the ladies with a load of Brad Pitt and George Clooney lookalikes
Old 08 April 2011, 09:28 AM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger

Thanks guys and girls, guess I should make the effort to get it sorted before it gets even worse. I did look on the NHS website and it would seem that we do have a few dentists in the area taking on NHS patients, they do also have the emergency access centres that someone mentioned.

It would be a great idea for someone to set up a practice, staff it with only good looking lady dentists and nurses and advertise for nervous patients. You wouldn't want to look like a wuss in front of these hotties so would soon get over the nerves A similar thing could be done for the ladies with a load of Brad Pitt and George Clooney lookalikes

Now you're talking!

Although I'm not sure I'd want them to see me when I'm numbed up and dribbling!