Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

how would you describe the Dawes?

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2002, 03:09 PM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(soz about yet another dawes thread but....)

I just got off the phone with the insurance company, I said the dawes was a "aftermarket mechanical boost controler" and he said there would be no extra charge as it wouldn't increase preformance unless I replaced the ecu?! I said I wasn't going to install a FCD so I suppose there mostly correct. Should I argue the point?
(I have posted this in insurance too but not to sure if its an insurance or technical question )
Thanks
Old 24 May 2002, 03:10 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get them to confirm it in writing. It does increase performance.
Old 24 May 2002, 03:20 PM
jonmyers
Scooby Regular

...well we hope it does!

I've just fitted mine (with an ITG filter too) and slowly winding the boost up from my standard 12psi. now at 14 to 15 ish and she pulls very nicely. not sure how much further to go. Any suggestions out there???

Thanks, Jon

(BTW: MY99 with SS backbox)
Old 24 May 2002, 03:40 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Hi Jon,

Mine is a standard MY99 and my standard boost was 14 PSI prior to the Dawes - now sitting at 16.5 PSI - well below full cut. Best way of setting it is to drive on WOT in 4th and 5th until you feel the fuel cut kick in and then turn it back a full turn to be safe.

Richard.
Old 24 May 2002, 04:03 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

When you coming for Part 2 Richard ?
Old 24 May 2002, 05:20 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Richard did your find the dawes made your car accelerate more aggressivly or more smoothly. Remember how I though your car was more aggressive feeling as standard than JB's even though on the road his would have left your's for dust! If that doesn't make much sense I can try qualify what I'm asking.

Also how many people declare the dawes to insurance and what do they say it is/does, etc?

[Edited by Saxo Boy - 5/24/2002 5:21:10 PM]
Old 24 May 2002, 05:32 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

If mine was any more ragged now Saxo Boy then traction would be an issue! It already is and that is all four wheels driven. I want it as smooth as possible and controllable. If you don't have enough power then some want it ragged and rough and jerky to make it feel quicker. But it is crap when you drive both and then compare.

Yes tell the insurers manual boost controller power increase up to 10%.
Old 24 May 2002, 05:35 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

How comes my car reaches 16psi with a standard ecu (MY99)
Decat and HKS Hiper system

Thats why I've taken my Dawes off, my car reaches the same peak PSi without it and I don't get fuel cut.

Sorry if this is going o/t
Old 24 May 2002, 05:36 PM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

Wink

Saxo,

try and get another run off john but this time get him to fit my Blitz,if that does not give you the rawness you crave I think you better look at another type of car,possibly an old cossie.
Old 24 May 2002, 05:44 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Not looking for raw or jerky progress just a 'kick' I sort of crave the method of power delivery of my dads 330d. If you put your foot down at 1000rpm it would pull cleanly but slowly and then at 2000 you'd get a kick and off you went. It was still gentle but noticable enough to let anyone in the car know that progress was being made. It would seem that if I was to keep up with run's in John's car everytime he changed it I'd spend most weeknights in Dunferline. Quite the tinkerer aren't you John

Actually, it's good to know someone local is gathering such expertise - could be useful one day
Old 24 May 2002, 05:44 PM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

mega,

how does your car hold boost higher up without the Dawes?

I have a MY99 ecu and PE T75 d/p,magnex c/s and my boost control is not too bad without the Dawes,although it can peak a few psi higher on cold days but higher up,it holds no-where near what it does with the Dawes on.my m8 with a magnex d/p and c/s has peaks 4psi higher without the Dawes and his held boost was all over the place.
Old 24 May 2002, 05:51 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Saxo Boy - my car now pulls more torque over a wider range and to much higher revs than a 330D. So if you can wait 500-750 RPM longer in exchange for it carrying on for 2000-2500 RPM later....
Old 24 May 2002, 06:07 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I don't care where in the rev range the kick is just as long as it's there. The Saxo doesn't kick cause it progressively builds power and torque as the revs rise. The 330d kicked cause it dumped a load of torque onto the tarmac just as the turbo kicked in. Bottom line is I'm a G-force junky and I need a fix. The scooby has the lateral G-force thing sorted I'm just hoping to get a nice peak G-force figure under acceleration.
Old 24 May 2002, 06:37 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

How would I describe the Dawes? Well, to me it seperates the idiot scooby drivers with the technical genius. The idiots are the ones that go for stupid boosts like 33 psi on their scooby because they can....
Old 24 May 2002, 06:38 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

John - perhaps towards the end of the year I'm going for a dp next then perhaps look at the turbo plus you for a Tek3.

Kenny - It feels smooth and so much better. Faster spool up and holds boost for longer. Really can't get over the difference for £35 (+ the bottle of malt )

Sorry I've not been able to fix a time up to meet to let you feel the difference. I'll try and get someone sorted soon.

I know what you mean about the kick - to me (this now) the actual speed isn't that important but how it feels (if I did 1/4 miles or track days then my thoughts might be different).

I think it also depends on how long you have a scooby for - as over time I think you look for different things (i.e. want a smoother and more linear power delivery - whilst in the begining you're still enjoying and getting used to the push in the back).

I've been borrowing my wifes car this week - which is a 206 CC with the 2.0 engine. Not 'that' fast but it has been nice getting the response when you put your foot down instead of waiting for the turbo to spool up.

If I was you I'd get a basic UK car - wait 6 months then get a Dawes or Tek2, wait 6 months then get the full decat, new turbo and Tek3 That way you'll really enjoy the car at the different stages and really notice the difference when you upgrade.

I said to my insurance company that it was a manual boost controller that added 10% onto the power. Cost £100 more on the premium (though it didn't cost anything else to add a dp into the equation).

Richard.
Old 24 May 2002, 08:21 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Cool scots, glad your enjoying it. I'd change the exhaust first then increase the boost, etc with Dawes